Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Unpopular opinion but Guhle might be our best trading chip this summer. With contract talk lurking and abundance of LHD in the pipeline, its Romanov situation all over again... except Guhle is better. If Hugo ever feels like Kaden might become injury prone, he should flip him this summer for and equivalent top 6 talent.

I also wonder if he's worth Suzuki money like many comparable out there.

He has not put himself in Suzuki's salary range as of yet and the odds of him being traded are very close to zero as this is not a perpetual rebuild and he is a core piece that will be expected to lead the Reinbachers, Hutsons and Maillouxs etc of this team to the next phase. He is the closest Dman to a vet out of the young dmen that we have and will be leaned on even more when Savard leaves.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
They did not lean away from playing physical, they were involved in that game, they weren't going to retaliate and take a penalty. That is what MSL is trying to teach them, how to manage the game without shooting yourself in the foot by going after a guy.

Would I have done it? Yes, because the season is over and I don't care about losing.. but MSL is building those habits and taking a bunch of penalties trying to even the score against Kucherov isn't a good habit to build.
Get out of here with your reasonable, thoughtful take. I want violence!

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Guhle is worth around AAV 3.5m right now, would others concur with this as correct? If so he is absolutely worth retaining and extending. He has room to grow.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They did not lean away from playing physical, they were involved in that game, they weren't going to retaliate and take a penalty. That is what MSL is trying to teach them, how to manage the game without shooting yourself in the foot by going after a guy.

Would I have done it? Yes, because the season is over and I don't care about losing.. but MSL is building those habits and taking a bunch of penalties trying to even the score against Kucherov isn't a good habit to build.
Someone should have given Kucherov a stiff shot to the head with gloves on at some point during that game.
The retaliation would definitely have been in the other court.
We don't have a smart agitator on this team and it shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Guhle is worth around AAV 3.5m right now, would others concur with this as correct? If so he is absolutely worth retaining and extending. He has room to grow.
Sure, max… If the concussions didn’t end poor Guhle’s career he needs to learn how to protect himself. Pierre on RDS noticed Harris is playing higher and is less vulnerable lately. Kid plays big but gets rag dolled like my cat’s toys all the time.

He is an amazing asset for the habs at such a young age. 3.5 sounds like halfway between what he earns now and what he’ll be worth if he adds some offense and/or becomes a grown man I feel also, if only for the minutes he logs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think that would be enough to get him signed. Personally, I'd try to lock him up for as long as I could at 7 mil. You might overpay a little in the early years but that's okay, we have the space now. Long term it'd be a good deal for us.

I think he's got first pairing talent. He's not there yet (even though he's being used on the first) but I think he'll get there. Needs to gain weight and needs to be more careful (coaches can help) but he's a rugged, speedy, talented player. He's going to be part of the core. Lock him up longterm for as little as he'll accept.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Guhle needs to play his natural side. That’s it. Yes he needs to be more aware at the end of a defensive zone play but all in all. He is young and trying to learn how to play on his off side while playing top pair minutes. I mean that’s almost unheard of to be honest.
This is a good point and one that I tend to forget. He's done really well considering he's on his off side.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
3,5 M$ for Guhle?? WTF??

I mean unless injuries wear him down and he basically suck next season, he will be signed to a 8 years contract worth between 6-6,5M$ imo. He will be at worst our no.3 D for the foreseeable future and that’s even if we draft a future top pair D with our pick this coming draft.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
3,5 M$ for Guhle?? WTF??

I mean unless injuries wear him down and he basically suck next season, he will be signed to a 8 years contract worth between 6-6,5M$ imo. He will be at worst our no.3 D for the foreseeable future and that’s even if we draft a future top pair D with our pick this coming draft.
I think he'll get 7 mil.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What’s interesting is he still has 1 year before being extended. That year will play a huge part on gis next contract numbers.

I just hope they don’t put him with Matheson next season.
I'm not sure who else he goes with. They'll want him on the first pairing. Right now he's our best blueliner. Unless we trade Matheson, where does he go?

RB and Mailloux aren't ready yet. I guess you could put him with Savard but then where does Matheson go?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'm not sure who else he goes with. They'll want him on the first pairing. Right now he's our best blueliner. Unless we trade Matheson, where does he go?

RB and Mailloux aren't ready yet. I guess you could put him with Savard but then where does Matheson go?
I know. That’s why I think they need to trade Matheson and get a top 4 RHD. As soon as possible.

I think Reinbacher will start the season in Mtl next year though.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know. That’s why I think they need to trade Matheson and get a top 4 RHD. As soon as possible.

I think Reinbacher will start the season in Mtl next year though.
Trading for a blueliner just seems crazy considering the talent we've got coming up though. We have a ton of blueliners we're going to have to trade away in the coming years.

We're in that weird transition phase now I guess.

I have no problem trading Matheson this year. I'd actually do it for another pick in this year's draft - try to get a top ten if possible.

If you're correct and RB comes up, then maybe it'd work like this. Savard plays with Ghule on the first. Not ideal but good enough for next year. If RB joins the club (and I think he'll actually spend some time in the AHL with Hutson - but we'll see) then he can play on the 2nd or third pair.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I don't think that would be enough to get him signed. Personally, I'd try to lock him up for as long as I could at 7 mil. You might overpay a little in the early years but that's okay, we have the space now. Long term it'd be a good deal for us.

I think he's got first pairing talent. He's not there yet (even though he's being used on the first) but I think he'll get there. Needs to gain weight and needs to be more careful (coaches can help) but he's a rugged, speedy, talented player. He's going to be part of the core. Lock him up longterm for as little as he'll accept.

3,5 M$ for Guhle?? WTF??

I'm referring to his present-day value.

I do not think he's more than a 4m player today. I haven't looked at the fancy stats but I think if you need a player for a season, injury trends notwithstanding, you can find defenders who can eat minutes, produce a 20-25pt season, and come out looking okay for around 3.5m. Think pre-injury Joel Edmundson, or peak Chiarot.

Signing Guhle long-term is in Guhle's best interest, I think he would settle for around 4-6m on a term deal, preferably 4.5ish. In a super high-scoring era he's not remotely productive enough to sign for 7m, it's a bad contract at that point.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

I do not think he's more than a 4m player today. I haven't looked at the fancy stats but I think if you need a player for a season, injury trends notwithstanding, you can find defenders who can eat minutes, produce a 20-25pt season, and come out looking okay for around 3.5m. Think pre-injury Joel Edmundson, or peak Chiarot.

Signing Guhle long-term is in Guhle's best interest, I think he would settle for around 4-6m on a term deal, preferably 4.5ish. In a super high-scoring era he's not remotely productive enough to sign for 7m, it's a bad contract at that point.
I disagree totally. But you are entitled to your own opinion. That being said, if is value is NOW at 4M$, as a 21 yo Dman, how can he possibly settles for a 4,5 ish long term contract 1 year later?

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Guys like Guhle and Dach don’t brace for impact, which is why the probability of injury is higher for them. They're so used to plowing through in juniors by just letting their body accept the contact while playing. If you don't brace for impact in the NHL, you're putting yourself at risk because you're not choosing the point of impact.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
That's a sure thing.....him and Gauthier are the best they have followed by Carbo

😂😂
Ever notice how strong Matheson is? Anytime he decides to move somebody, or they try try to shove him around… it’s not easy. He’s almost 200 solid. Not beer league 200. Coach got end was talking about that a few months back about how he was built thick. I just wish he had greater defensive IQ

He's more Ryan Suter than he is Shea Weber and I'm ok with it.
Side note- is it just me or Yakemchuk this year would be a Weber type pick?

Guys like Guhle and Dach don’t brace for impact, which is why the probability of injury is higher for them. They're so used to plowing through in juniors by just letting their body accept the contact while playing. If you don't brace for impact in the NHL, you're putting yourself at risk because you're not choosing the point of impact.
We should hire Forsberg to come to MTl and teach our boys the art of the reverse hit😎

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I don’t think we should at all but if we could get a real good player 80+pts and have Ghule part of the package would you? Injuries would be the only reason why I’d ever consider it

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That's a very low estimate of his worth.

I'm sure he & his agent view his worth much higher, rightfully so.

Reactions: Tyson

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Have you even watched a game of his career ? He was worth more than that the second he laced them up. He's produced more than everyone else at 5v5 on this team. His 5 on 5 production is comparable to the likes of Seider, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Byram/Power, Pietrangelo, Carlsson and others. He outproduced guys like Sanderson and Lindholm who are pretty good comparable.

You're letting the hockeyDB stats get to you, what's next, Matheson is gonna be worth 10?

Reactions: Miller Time

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Guhle worth much more than 3.5. He is already play a top pairing minute, he play against the best players and he prove that he is a top D for many years to come.

The only concern with him, he just need to protect himself more, but if he play on his right side (LD), that will help a lot too.

I would certainly see a 6,5 millions per year for him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Guhle worth much more than 3.5. He is already play a top pairing minute, he play against the best players and he prove that he is a top D for many years to come.

The only concern with him, he just need to protect himself more, but if he play on his right side (LD), that will help a lot too.

I would certainly see a 6,5 millions per year for him.
It's really too bad he didn't have a Shea Weber teaching him some of the Nasties vets use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad