Kahun vs. RNH: Who should be Draisaitl's LW?

Who should be Draisaitl's LW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Kahun-McD-Neal
RNH-Drai-Yam
Ennis-Turris-Poolparty

I think you have to start the DRY line together, but...

The beauty of our top 9 is the flexibility. Kahun doesn't work with Connor or the DRY line doesn't find lightning in a bottle? Swap RNH and Kahun. Turris isn't good enough 2 way or doesn't fit with his line mates? Swap him and RNH. Neal plays like he did when he was injured this last year? Replace with Kassian or Chiasson. Basically, every LW we have has shown chemistry with Draisaitl and every RW we have has done well with Connor. The options are limitless.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I would rotate RNH and Kahun as needed. Use it like a tandem goalie system. Ride the hot streaks, change it up on failure.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hopkins-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kahun-McDavid-Kassian
Ennis-Turris-Puljujarvi
Nygard-Kharia-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Ideally Puljujarvi can force Kassian down a line. I think Kahun's smart efficient skill game will mesh well with McDavid. Kahun can get him the puck and make the right offensive play. Puljujarvi and Kassian could both be really effective playing up and down the wing, Puljujarvi in particular might be our best option for a guy who can be an effective running mate on the rush. If the Oilers really feel the need to try Kahun with Draisaitl I'd rather they play Hopkins and Yamamoto with McDavid. I think keeping Hopkins and Yamamoto together is key for a dominate two way line.

The bottom 6 wingers are strong IMO with a wide variety of skills and proven skillsets. I really like the option of Turris as 3C but I think it means the 4C will be needed for key defensive duties. It's a gamble if Haas or Kharia can fill Sheahan's shoes. If Haas can figure out draws and be stronger on his skates he could surprise enough to be a key player moving forward. Kharia was strong after being moved to C late and is talented but faceoffs and inconsistency are a real concern. I do think he's always been more comfortable in the middle as he keeps his feet moving. Hopefully at least one of them puts it all together and can even be an upgrade.
it feels to me like Kassian is destined to be on the third line. He's a low end top six player, but a high end bottom six player. Also, if Puljujarvi stays in the bottom six, it shows he is struggling and not playing to his potential. We definitely do not want to shoe horn JP in the top six, because that would be a disaster, but it seems clear to me what this team will look like when it is a contender, and we need another top six winger. There's other player movements that need to happen around the lineup too.

But about this thread, the number one priority on this team is making sure that McDavid is playing to his full potential. Our winger decisions need to be made to benefit him. The only exception is that Draisaitl needs to center the other scoring line. The McDavid winger issue trumps the DYI line, but sure, start Kahun with McDavid because for all we know it really works well. But the issue I have with it is that Kahun is not an established top six player. So brace yourselves for a player like RNH or Turris getting time with McDavid.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Close to give up the McDavid wing tour.
Give him two forecheckers to hjbt the puck to him. I hate that Nuge doesnt get his shit together. Such an unclutch treat.

Kahun McDavid Archibald
Nuge Draisaitl Pulj
Neal MacLeod Yam
Nygård/Chiasson Shore Khaira

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad