Kahun vs. RNH: Who should be Draisaitl's LW?

Who should be Draisaitl's LW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Nuge.

I don’t care if Kahun is German. Why mess with a combination that is proven to work? We were in free fall last year until Nuge-Drai-Yam were put together.
Because Tippett did not use that combo during play-ins and Holland hasn't mentioned Nuge-Drai as a possible duo once. He talked about Ennis-Drai after he signed Ennis and talked about Kahun-Drai after signing Kahun.
in the bigger picture the oilers management sees RNH on top line with McD .

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The DRY line was really good, but they were really lucky too.

Their 14.89 onSH% together is insane. We should expect lots of regression.

I don't think it's the case of them being too good together to not even try Kahun there instead. It may even be a step down, but the net effect of RNH with McDavid should make up for it.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Well if drai and Kahun put up 400 points in a season between the two in junior, I feel like maybe they should have some chemistry.

I would start nuge with Connor and Neal, especially since Neal looked good in the play in.

Run Kahun drai yams as the second line.
I'd start with DRY line and Kahun-McD-Neal. See if Kahun can play with Connor, see if the DRY line continues, see if Neal can provide a trigger man for Connor. Swap Nuge and Kahun if one of the 2 combos doesn't work. Swap Poolparty if Neal plays his way off Connors wing or Poolparty plays his way on.

Thats the great thing about this off season is Kenny has given Tippet so many options to choose from in all aspects. He must be sitting at home just giddy to get back into it.

Reactions: bucks_oil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm sure no line will stay the same so there really is no point with this discussion.

Answer is "whatever clicks"

Reactions: Duke74

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Pretty sure Kahn starts with Draisaitl
Would not be surprised if season ends
RNH-McDavid-Yamo
Kahun-Drai-Puljujarvi
Ennis-Turris-Chiasson
Kassian will be left unprotected for Seattle as will Klefbom

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Obviously I want the team to be as productive as possible, but it would be nice to see Yamo have some time without Drai, possibly without McDavid either. It would be good to know what he's capable of without playing with the top centres in the league and it could help us negotiate a more reasonable contract.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Imo the priority is to get McDavid going so imo the default answer is to pencil in Kahun with Draisaitl. RNH is proven to work with McDavid. Hes the only winger we have who is.

Now of course we can try lots of stuff out in camp. If Kahun works better with McDavid, or any player besides Kahun even, then they can be with.

The exception is Yamamoto, and that's my expression of saying how important Drai is. He gets his top six winger too

The priority is to ice the lineup that has the best chance at winning. Not to pump any one player. Drai just had a season as good as anything McDavid has done. If the team is going to win more games with the RNH-Drai-Yamo line than that is the line they should ice.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The DRY line was really good, but they were really lucky too.

Their 14.89 onSH% together is insane. We should expect lots of regression.

I don't think it's the case of them being too good together to not even try Kahun there instead. It may even be a step down, but the net effect of RNH with McDavid should make up for it.

Disagree.

Draisaitl has averaged a 16.9 SH% in his career and has been getting better averaging 18.08 over the last 3 years.

RNH is no slouch either averaging 11.9 in his career and 14.05 over the last 3 years.

The only candidate for regression is Yamamoto since he’s relatively new and rolled a 25% last year (yes really).

You will see a slight dip, but it won’t be that considerable while the German machine is on that line.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It’s about finding the winger who best matches his centre (well, duh).

McDavid is more of an attacking, transition, speed player. He pushes the pace. Draisaitl is sometimes the opposite - he‘ll control things by slowing down, protecting the puck, and waiting for an open teammate.
(Obviously, this is a simplification as both are quite versatile).

RNH has proven to be a good plug-and-play LW. He works on both lines. So it’s more a case of finding which one of Ennis, Kahun, (or other?) finds chemistry with either Drai or McDavid. And then you slot in Nuge with the other guy, knowing it’ll work.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Figure it out in preseason.
SO funny all these people arguing. Coach will have a lot of practices and pre-season to work this out.

Thanks be to Ken for giving us some depth and options with JP, Turris, & Kahun... considering the Klefbom situation we might have some more additions.
RNH has proven extremely versatile. With RNH, 97, and 29 you have 3 versatile weapons at your disposal. I would personally avoid 1 strict 60-minute fixed lineup as such.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Disagree.

Draisaitl has averaged a 16.9 SH% in his career and has been getting better averaging 18.08 over the last 3 years.

RNH is no slouch either averaging 11.9 in his career and 14.05 over the last 3 years.

The only candidate for regression is Yamamoto since he’s relatively new and rolled a 25% last year (yes really).

You will see a slight dip, but it won’t be that considerable while the German machine is on that line.

There's a big difference between just shooting percentage and on-ice shooting percentage though.

Drai has averaged a 10.20 onSH% over the past three seasons at 5v5. The 14.89% DRY had together is otherworldly, video game, never been close to maintained type of stuff.

Basically I'm just saying that when they come back down to earth a little, they won't be so insanely good enough to not even try Kahun there for a bit to improve McDavid's line.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Their 14.89 onSH% together is insane. We should expect lots of regression
People keep saying this, but look at the goals Draisaitl scores. A lion’s share of them are one timers just off to the side of the net. I don’t think he’s going to suddenly start missing many of those chances. Yamamoto if anything could have had more shots go in for him. I recall some pretty unlucky misses. RNH is the guy who had the Midas touch last year. Lots of seeing eye shots finding the net for him and lots of lucky loose pucks in the slot that he was smart enough to pounce on. That may not be repeated next year, but overall I doubt that line takes a big step back in sh%.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Obviously I want the team to be as productive as possible, but it would be nice to see Yamo have some time without Drai, possibly without McDavid either. It would be good to know what he's capable of without playing with the top centres in the league and it could help us negotiate a more reasonable contract.

Yamamoto is an undersized winger that was drafted in the last 3rd of the 1st round, everyone knows he isn't a line driver. When it's time to pay him it will be in the 4-6 million dollar range depending what he does.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
I feel like we already know RNH can mesh well with Drai and Yamo. Though I voted RNH I think it certainly can't hurt to try Kahun there first and if it doesn't work you always have a fallback. Better to find out sooner rather than later who you can toss around the top six.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Hmmm, should we ice a virtually unstoppable line that blew up the league last season and gave us multiple winning streaks, while still allowing us to ice the world's best player on a different line? Hmmmmm.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hmmm, should we ice a virtually unstoppable line that blew up the league last season and gave us multiple winning streaks, while still allowing us to ice the world's best player on a different line? Hmmmmm.

Is the line "unstoppable"?

Thats an odd conclusion given that the actual time frame the line was together was a fairly shortlived heavily abbreviated segment, broke up by a 2 week rest and relaxation segment thanks to the ASG one week break and also by the Oilers one week NHLPA mandated break. Then having the season shorted by pandemic. It was stops and starts throughout, not sustained schedule of games.

No, we're talking about a short duration line opponents didn't scout, didn't have time to prepare for.

Lets look at the constituent ingredients of the line;

Draisaitl; Rarely stoppable for long and drives a lot of the play, and is integral. He's the only unstoppable on the line.

Nuge; A player that gets hot that typically can ride long periods where he's surfing around ,500ppg but then get a super hot stretch for 2mths of a season on a topline. Trouble is I rarely have felt that Nuge can sustain the ppg pacing for a full season. I think he suffers wear and tear with constant checking when he is being used as a feature producer.

Yamamoto; C'mon people. We're talking about a player with 30NHL career pts and saying he is a can't miss part of a line that is "unstoppable"? He had a 25% shooting string of fortune. Would expect the same player to be less than half of that through career.

I'm siding with others that the production pace of the Dry line wouldn't be maintained. They got some puck luck. Sure its a good line, no disputing that, but theres no way of knowing how the line endures NHL correction and scouting until that occurs.

I suspect we will see some mix up and shuffling of lines as befits our roster and ideal usage of two superstars to keep opponents guessing and having to deal with the different wrinkles. Standing pad on line configurations is NOT the best use of any of McD, Drai, or even Nuge.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'd start with DRY line and Kahun-McD-Neal. See if Kahun can play with Connor, see if the DRY line continues, see if Neal can provide a trigger man for Connor. Swap Nuge and Kahun if one of the 2 combos doesn't work. Swap Poolparty if Neal plays his way off Connors wing or Poolparty plays his way on.

Thats the great thing about this off season is Kenny has given Tippet so many options to choose from in all aspects. He must be sitting at home just giddy to get back into it.

Could not have said it better.

I'd like to start with the known combo. I'd like to see if Kahun can help McD and I'd hope that would extract value out of Neal (or Kass or Pulju as required).

I was not a fan of Ennis with McD, so,... as you said... if McD & Kahun don't work, I'd switch Nuge and Kahun without much reservation because I could easily see that working as well.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
What I guess Tippet will ice

RNH - McDavid - Kassian
Kahun - Draisailt - Yamamoto
Ennis - Turris - Puljujarvi
Neal - Khaira - Archibald
Chiasson

What I'd do

RNH - Draisailt - Yamamoto
Kahun - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Ennis - Turris - Neal
Archibald - Khaira - Kassian

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Let the Germans and Japanese play together on the axis line

That's right up there with the tweet TSN aired back when Leon was drafted haha.

o0K78zL_d.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad