WJC: Kadri's "throat slit" gesture to the Swiss bench

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
That is, oh so true, and I have thought about that for a while, raising some questions that may be worthy of its own thread.

A) Has Canada changed its view on hockey over the years, or was Clarke's action disapproved of then too?
B) Has the Euro teams, refs, or the IIHF become friendlier towards Canadian hockey, as in TC players aren't as frustrated (looking at this from how a Canadian might feel about it)?
C) As Canadian Teams today come nowhere near acting like the teams of the Esposito era, why are the Europeans still bringing up what happened for more than 30 years ago (I'm guilty as charged) by people who have NOTHING to do with today's players?

I am actually quite fascinated of how both sides refuse to let go of the "old days" when silly stuff like this happens. Entire nations get stereotyped in a heartbeat, and then it is on! :laugh:

I think there is just a lot more exposure to the players. Every action is scrutinized. Go back 30 years and if Kadri did that no one would ever know.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay
Lets face it... in the GDTs... anything Kadri does is scrutenized.... but even Cormiers dumb crosscheck penalty, or Scandellas dumb penalty hardly get a discussion... I wonder why...
This is a lie.

Cormier has been criticized to no end for all of his reckless penalties.

Stop making this into an issue about the Leafs because it's not.

I was refering to the one instance with his dumb crosscheck penalty.... People at the time might have done 10 posts about the instance and moved on. Everying single "dive" or turnover or "bad hit" that Kadri performs... there is about 20 posts about it.... Thats what I'm getting at... no lie there. I can garuntee you that more people smacktalk Kadri than Cormier on GDT... I can garuntee you.

Anyways this thread is plain dumb. ITS A FREAKING GESTURE! He didn't injury anybody... He was in the penalty box. You should hear some of the things those fighters and grinders say to eachother when they're in the box... MUCH WORSE THAN A FREAKING GESTURE! Its not like Kadri pulled a Bertuzzi or something... GET OVER IT GUYS!

Semin

Jun 13, 2009
When I play hockey its all trash talking. I was threatened by this guy that "duh bloooodz" were gonna come take me out after the game. Who really cares about that gesture? I'll admit it did look kinda stupid, but hes just a young guy whos all riled up and hasn't learned to control his emotions.

I bet you that Burkie sat back and enjoyed that though.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
I think Kadri is a little punk to be honest. Hope he matures, he hopefully will as he learns he IS going to be a role model. It's unfortunate that things will come down to race with him, but he needs to set a better example, if he doesn't he will be very heavily scrutinized. Deservingly or not, he is going to be a hot topic due to his genetics.

I dont follow. What are you trying to get at? I find your suggestion laughable and mildly alarming that someone would quickly attempt to allude to racial\religious issues.
Question: are you someone who makes presumptions about NBA players based on race? I've never heard anyone in the media question Kadri on that basis (and for that matter neither have I read that on this website) until your post.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
We had that thread thanks. You should have seen what was said there. Just because he apologized it doesn't remove the fact he is making Canada look like **** on an international level. We are Canada we should have higher standards than that shown by Kadri and Cormier this tournament.

Nice try champ.
I really, really doubt that there is much discussions happening about Kadri's trash talking the Swiss bench out there outside of Hfboards.
If you have a problem with Kadri playing for Team Canada say so, dont try dressing it up in phony indignation.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think Kadri is a little punk to be honest. Hope he matures, he hopefully will as he learns he IS going to be a role model. It's unfortunate that things will come down to race with him, but he needs to set a better example, if he doesn't he will be very heavily scrutinized. Deservingly or not, he is going to be a hot topic due to his genetics.

I doubt that. He's a Maple Leafs draft pick. That alone will make him a hot topic. Since June he can't walk down the streets of Toronto because of the pressure he is soon to face. His father is from Lebanon if I remember correctly. And there was a story on him once about how when he came to Canada he immediately fell in love with hockey and then had Nazem and wanted to teach him. Because of that Nazem is now wearing the Maple Leaf. A great, great story and at the end of the day no one cares that he's of Lebanese descent. It's one of those "I have passion for hockey stories".

Look I've defended the kid on here. I love his passion. I don't think the throat slash is a big deal. Out of line? Yes. But Phil Esposito was out of line in 1972 and they ended up putting that play on a commercial once. Funny how that happens. Personally I hope Nazem keeps his fire lit because he is playing amazing. And a player, race or not, will be scrutinized for his actions. Just ask Steve Downie. Sean Avery. Theo Fleury, the list goes on. It doesn't matter nowadays, the cameras are everywhere, that's why we are talking about it

Dr Turk

Jul 4, 2008
Toronto
The fact that this got 5 pages is pathetic. He made a mistake and apologized for it, end of story. We have no idea what was said on the ice that led to that.

GuyFlower*

Oh, its just his love for the game. Canadian heart. Boo fing hoo... If that was Russian kid... than.. well you know...

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Of course there is...and none of those "punks" (the ones doing the real crap) will get a sniff of professional hockey as there is little, if any room, for that once it is a career. If you have no respect of your peers, no room for you on roster....

Are you kidding? There are players on every roster in the NHL that nobody in the league respects, the Ruutus, Cookes, Averys of the league.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Okay guys, first and only warning. Comments made about players actions due to their religion or ethnicity will be dealt with accordingly.

mooseOAK*

Put me firmly in the camp that doesn't understand why the throat slash has become such a crime against humanity in the last decade or so.

Considering that "I'll kill you" is an often heard phrase in a hockey arena it does seem pretty strange. We need George Carlin to come back and explain it all to us.

The NBA banned the gesture about 12 years ago and the NFL about 10 years ago.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
I like that he did it, it shows emotion which I love in sports. At the same time I would have liked even more if someone immediately smashed him afterwords not so nicely telling him to shut his face and play hockey.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I like that he did it, it shows emotion which I love in sports. At the same time I would have liked even more if someone immediately smashed him afterwords not so nicely telling him to shut his face and play hockey.

he would've probably then claimed religious/racial discrimination

Canuck71*

What the hell is Kadri gunna do anyway? Seems like he thinks he's a lot tougher than he really is.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
What the hell is Kadri gunna do anyway? Seems like he thinks he's a lot tougher than he really is.

Agree with ya here. Seems like all time. Maxim Laps light.

I think the gesture was in regards to him being embarassed for being sent down by the Leafs.

zackisonfire

As if worse things aren't said on nearly every shift of the game.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Burkes mad at him in the same way a father who catches his teenage son with two girls is

Hfboards is represented by the sons mother for the most part

Burke's in Boston with Team USA, that's been his Focus ever since the World Championships last May. One look at the Toronto Roster and their Prospect List would indicate that Fletcher has been left in charge of this Rudderless Ship called the Good Ship Maple Leaf. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad