WJC: Kadri's "throat slit" gesture to the Swiss bench

thas

Sep 8, 2009
The guy is still a kid and he will do stuff like this. This sort of thing happens a lot in the game. Maybe you guys just ignore it more than I do. This is really nothing new. It has also already been known for a while now that Kadri is borderline cocky. Burke drafts players like that.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I always thought of that as him working the ref, which is fair game in my book. All greats (Jordan, Magic, Bird, Elway, Montana, etc.) did and should do that for their teams.

The Cashman, Espositio, Bobby Clarke, and stuff is quite different than staying in the ref's ear, IMO.

To each his own I guess. I believe in things like "put up or shut up" and "let your actions do the talking not your mouth". I loathe whining. Gretzky's constant complaining about things that were usually completely legitimate were to me, downright embarassing.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Played all my life and still make my living playing....and it was a punk move by a seemingly punk player who is getting a reputation for this crap.

It is those who have REALLY played the game at a level above Junior B/beer league that find his crap just that....crap.

You still play the game professionally? Perhaps you play at leagues where the level of intensity is not quite to Canadian standards. I know a few people who've played in the NHL or have relatives playing in the NHL (not uncommon in Canada to know players or ex-players)... some of the on ice stories I've heard indicate the level of intensity, comments made and so forth are far more drastic than whatever Kadri did.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I doubt that. He's a Maple Leafs draft pick. That alone will make him a hot topic. Since June he can't walk down the streets of Toronto because of the pressure he is soon to face. His father is from Lebanon if I remember correctly. And there was a story on him once about how when he came to Canada he immediately fell in love with hockey and then had Nazem and wanted to teach him. Because of that Nazem is now wearing the Maple Leaf. A great, great story and at the end of the day no one cares that he's of Lebanese descent. It's one of those "I have passion for hockey stories".

Look I've defended the kid on here. I love his passion. I don't think the throat slash is a big deal. Out of line? Yes. But Phil Esposito was out of line in 1972 and they ended up putting that play on a commercial once. Funny how that happens. Personally I hope Nazem keeps his fire lit because he is playing amazing. And a player, race or not, will be scrutinized for his actions. Just ask Steve Downie. Sean Avery. Theo Fleury, the list goes on. It doesn't matter nowadays, the cameras are everywhere, that's why we are talking about it

:20

I love Nazem Kadri. Love the throat slash.

GotKush*

LOL. It's funny its only Leafs fans defending Kadri in this thread. The same fans who were *****ing when they drafted him and now think hes god. IMO hes a little punk and I dont see him being anywhere close to being the Leafs savior like some of their fans seem to think

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
Thats something that won't change. He's just a kid... he'll grow up and learn to control himself.

That attitude is what drive him so I wouldn't want to see him lose it. Just control it.

But I have seen many cases where attitudes and egos get in the way of talent and skill.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
btw you guys got it all wrong.

I watched the footage again, and he was clearly just letting the other guy know that his chin strap was loose. :sarcasm:

Derick*

I'm all for obnoxious antagonism. I think death threats, even as jokes, are a little much, though. If he had said "you ****ing suck," I wouldn't care.

Everyone saying that worse happens on the ice all the time, how would you know better than anyone else? Sorry, your beer league doesn't make you an expert on sports conduct. And what's "worse" than a death threat?

Seguins Dragon*

I bet there were kadri haters hoping he would miss the shootout... suck it long and suck it hard Kadri haters.

Man, honestly... with some of the things I read, I wouldn't be surprised.

I mean, I may not be a leaf fan, or even be called a "leaf hater" but its just a rivarly for a team, when a player puts on his jersey for Canada, he is playing for Canada.

His job is to play for the leafs, and if he wants to do extra curicular activities and play for Canada, awesome, I don't care where he works for, if he is the best for the job, and works his butt off (as he certainly has) I am going to cheer for him. He is representing my country, its a shame there is hate on this kid.

Yes, it was a stupid thing for him to do, and I am sure someone had a talk to him. I bet he has learned a lot from this tournament, and hopefully he will realise that doing such gestures is classless and stupid. He is a kid, give him a break, he seems like an emmotional and fiery guy and I am sure over time he will learn to control that.

Wicked dangle in the shoot out....wow.. that was amazing.:handclap:

This is worthy discussion, but some people need to relax and realise its just a kid still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad