Kadri Player Discussion - Took a million threads but we all finally agree he's a #2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I can't understand why this is so hard for people to get! Why be so desperate to trade the guy when you have a chance of signing him to a lesser contract just based on his production... There is no denying that he is not only matching up against the top lines in the league but actually playing comfortably on the first line, once we draft or trade that illusive 1C, we will have a more than decent 2C in Naz.

You can't pin all your hopes on your prospects to transition into top six players, it will be wise to appreciate the few we have right now! (Naz and Jvr to be precise)

I feel Jvr or Naz can easily be considered top six players on a contending team. They better ask for a pretty good return for them if they do decide to trade.

and I can't understand why this is so hard for people to understand, they think because Naz is underperforming in terms of offensive production that he would for some reason sign for a lesser contract long term... it simply is not going to happen. 5-6 million is what it will take minimum to get Kadri inked long term, and sorry for a player whose offensive production as dropped 3 straight years, and a player who was suspended for off-ice issue's last year. I don't want to pay him that type of money and being that he's a UFA after next year it's either give it to him or trade him or let him walk and test the market. I don't believe Kadri has earned a long term contract nor do I want to let him walk, so the optimal thing to do imo is sign him to a new 1 year deal and deal him at the Deadline next season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
and I can't understand why this is so hard for people to understand, they think because Naz is underperforming in terms of offensive production that he would for some reason sign for a lesser contract long term... it simply is not going to happen. 5-6 million is what it will take minimum to get Kadri inked long term, and sorry for a player whose offensive production as dropped 3 straight years, and a player who was suspended for off-ice issue's last year. I don't want to pay him that type of money and being that he's a UFA after next year it's either give it to him or trade him or let him walk and test the market. I don't believe Kadri has earned a long term contract nor do I want to let him walk, so the optimal thing to do imo is sign him to a new 1 year deal and deal him at the Deadline next season.

I don't get your conviction that Kadri's representation would insist on disproportionate compensation of $5-6M over the long term. Unlike Newport Sports and others, his representation actually has no history of being that type of agency. His representation and probably others must by now realize that leaving money on the table is fast becoming a bad idea in the NHL. It can leave your talent begging for a one year deal on the open market in the late summer.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't get your conviction that Kadri's representation would insist on disproportionate compensation of $5-6M over the long term. Unlike Newport Sports and others, his representation actually has no history of being that type of agency. His representation and probably others must by now realize that leaving money on the table is fast becoming a bad idea in the NHL. It can leave your talent begging for a one year deal on the open market in the late summer.

why would he sign for less when his qualifying offer is 4.1 million to keep Kadri's rights why would he sign long term for less then 5 when he could just take the 1 year deal and have a better year since he's suppose to be this skilled player capable of being a 50ish point player? if he doesn't improve he could probably still get a long term deal at 4 million next off season if he doesn't play better. people constantly talk about not dealing Kadri because his value will be at an all time low but if that's the case then his value in terms of what kind a contract he could get is also at an all time low so as the player why would you sign a long term deal at that point? it makes no sense.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Nice goal but not his best game. He seemed less engaged this game. Both defensively and offensively. Maybe a hang over from last game or maybe it was more NJ limiting him. Not exactly sure but obviously prefered the STL game.

Not trying to throw out excuses because I think he played fine, but he was out of practice since the STL game with the flu.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

There's a lot more involved then just an agency and the player. Negotiating players face big pressure from the NHLPA to sign the biggest contracts they can, because it helps drive the value of all comparable players up. This pressure is most felt by big names, but I've been learning recently it exists in all mid to upper tier negotiations. This is why home town discounts are a thing of the past.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
There's a lot more involved then just an agency and the player. Negotiating players face big pressure from the NHLPA to sign the biggest contracts they can, because it helps drive the value of all comparable players up. This pressure is most felt by big names, but I've been learning recently it exists in all mid to upper tier negotiations. This is why home town discounts are a thing of the past.

Well that and players who have signed cap friendly deals for their team have been traded because it makes them a more valuable asset, doesn't really inspire loyalty.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Kadri competes and plays a two way game.
He is the league's best at drawing penalties, because he's light and moved his feet and able to fall when he's knocked off balance.. that's a huge skill imo and deserves a huge amount of respect for creating the bulk of our PPs.
He is highly skilled and great at entering the zone.
His faceoffs have improved drastically.
His teammates and coach love him.
He's from Brampton.
He's a #2C for sure in this league, and isn't going to ask for anything out of what he deserves, he wants to stay to play here.
He also handles the media exceptionally well.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
If he is looking at 5 for 5 without a NMC I am probably down with that.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

That may be true but any free-thinking player should tell the NHLPA to get bent and do whatever is best for him whether that's free agency or not. In the end all that really happens is money is taken from other NHLPA members not NHL teams because the cap is driven up no matter what by a league wide competition for players.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
No way he gets 5x5 unless he really picks it up.

Doubt he is going to pick it up considerably but doubt he would sign for less. He is not going to take a pay cut as some have suggested and if he does a 1 year again, probably means he is done in Toronto. He is not scoring but generally has played good all season long. He also seems to have Babcock on his side as well. Wouldn't surprise me and quite frankly 5 for a 2c is not terrible.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He's not getting 5M per over a long term unless he produces a lot more. That's a previous regime that threw around money like that in fear of losing a player. He will get closer to $5M next season just by how the salary system works but there is youth queuing up to take his place. I'm not even sure the team will want to commit to him long term. They may be able to snap up a similarly producing UFA at a bargain rate if not produce a replacement themselves by the summer of 2017.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
If he is looking at 5 for 5 without a NMC I am probably down with that.

Kadri should be a tier below someone like Plekanec, who is coming off of a $5 million six-year deal and got an extension for $6 million a year. I know there is inflation, but. . . .

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kadri should be a tier below someone like Plekanec, who is coming off of a $5 million six-year deal and got an extension for $6 million a year. I know there is inflation, but. . . .

More like a tier below those a tier below Plekanec.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
He's not getting 5M per over a long term unless he produces a lot more. That's a previous regime that threw around money like that in fear of losing a player. He will get closer to $5M next season just by how the salary system works but there is youth queuing up to take his place. I'm not even sure the team will want to commit to him long term. They may be able to snap up a similarly producing UFA at a bargain rate if not produce a replacement themselves by the summer of 2017.

If we can upgrade through any means I say we do it. That being said Babcock likes a specific type of player and Kadri has changed his game to meet those standards. So unless it is a much better upgrade or a lot cheaper I doubt that we can pull that off.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If we can upgrade through any means I say we do it. That being said Babcock likes a specific type of player and Kadri has changed his game to meet those standards. So unless it is a much better upgrade or a lot cheaper I doubt that we can pull that off.

Centers who produced like Kadri did last season (and will be hard pressed to duplicate this season) are available every summer through free agency and trade. Fear of replacing bad 1st line/average 2nd line center numbers shouldn't be a motivation for an overpayment. But if he wants to stick around long term as veteran scoring support as a 3rd line center and/or 2nd line winger who produces 30 to 40 points a year at a reasonable rate, that would be awesome.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Ideally Kadri signs for another short term deal, maybe 2 years, at 4.5 per year.
Something like that. I think he has played extremely well this year even if numbers are not eye popping. Not ready to offer him a long term deal on big money quite yet, but like how his game has progressed.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Centers who produced like Kadri did last season (and will be hard pressed to duplicate this season) are available every summer through free agency and trade. Fear of replacing bad 1st line/average 2nd line center numbers shouldn't be a motivation for an overpayment. But if he wants to stick around long term as veteran scoring support as a 3rd line center and/or 2nd line winger who produces 30 to 40 points a year at a reasonable rate, that would be awesome.

Can you think of a comparable to what you are talking about from last year?

I think Kadri will start to produce but doubt he hits last years #'s. That being said his play away from the puck has improved as far as I'm concerned.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think Kadri gets long term at 5M per, and any long term deal will likely screw him.

He'd be wise to take a 2-3 year deal maybe 3.75-4M per.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

How much is a tier worth?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I don't think Kadri gets long term at 5M per, and any long term deal will likely screw him.

He'd be wise to take a 2-3 year deal maybe 3.75-4M per.

Can't imagine he would do that. If the Leafs don't want to pay him or sign him long term he will probably just do a 1 year for the same and then bolt to a team that wants a center. There is a couple and they would pay him more I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad