Kadri (part of the core?)

wwgrd

Apr 28, 2014
If you think some of the players mentioned are core players then boy have I got some items to sell you. Haisney, Brown, Marleau etc none are core players.

I don't disagree Dice.

I'm probably just reading too much into it ..I assumed Kadri would have noticed he wasnt mentioned as I thought it was quite obvious..and I'm just a fan.

I hope Kadri doesnt feel slighted.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kadri is in reality because of that sweetheart contract we have him on. For a team that will be right up against the cap for years to come, that deal makes Kadri nigh untouchable.

Frankly, the only other core players the Leafs should commit to signing and building around long term are: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Andersen and Rielly. Everyone else should be considered moveable if the situation arises.

I'd argue that the contract makes Kadri really valuable. Especially in a year in which good C's are not available via free agency. Demand is high and supply is low.

Reactions: TMLegend

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
If we were to define the Core of this team, the Leafs Core would consist of:
Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Rielly

Then you'd have the Semi-Core pieces of:
Kadri
Dermott
Gardiner
Marleau
Andersen

Then a Solid Group of Glue Guys of:
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson
Brown
Zaitsev
Hainsey

Then the (Easily) Replaceables of:
McElhinney
Carrick
Lindholm
Gauthier
Jooris
Leivo

Reactions: Leafling

wwgrd

Apr 28, 2014
Just as an aside, this player generates a really "special" following. Be prepared....

Uh oh. Thanks for the heads up. Same Pookie from sportsnet forums?

I'm a Kadri fan and he has an excellent contract. Not sure I'd part with Nylander first though..just my opinion.... tough call I supose.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

I'm a Kadri fan and he has an excellent contract. Not sure I'd part with Nylander first though..just my opinion.... tough call I supose.

Yes, same one.

I'd agree on the contract and he's a good player. Really a fan of his off ice turn around. Not a fan of the headshots though.

In any event, with JT, it makes it a good topic of conversation. If one thinks we need to improve the D, Kadri is a natural one to look at moving. Great contract in a market that is in high demand. That's the kind of thing that can attract a bidding war.

It's a little weird here on this topic though hopefully some of the usuals are on vacation. You'll see soon enough ;)

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

One thing I will tell you, Pookie isnt the one to have an objective Kadri discussion.
Its not an easy topic to discuss, some of the usual suspects like Pookie will force their narrative. You have already noticed that though;)
They believe Kadri is the worst player and person in NHL history. Then when people say facts or positive stuff, it gets ignored because Kadri praise is off limits. The usual suspect I already named with the "Kadri is terrible because my agenda said so"

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
One thing I will tell you, Pookie isnt the one to have an objective Kadri discussion.
Its not an easy topic to discuss, some of the usual suspects like Pookie will force their narrative. You have already noticed that though;)
They believe Kadri is the worst player and person in NHL history. Then when people say facts or positive stuff, it gets ignored because Kadri praise is off limits. The usual suspect I already named with the "Kadri is terrible because my agenda said so"

You are funny.

giphy.gif

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

You are talking to the poster that hates Kadri. He also makes fun of Kadri supporters by mentioning "Kadri fanboys, Kadri police, usual suspects" etc...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kadri’s contract is the reason why we have such an incredible team.

?

Some might suggest that the play of the real core while on ELC deals is probably closer related to success.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
For all the people who will try and say trade him now that we have Tavares, you guys know Kadri is good friends with Tavares right? He's probably his best / only friend on the team besides Martin who is probably gone. Also, now that Bozak is gone, Kadri is also the longest serving Leaf. So in addition to being a great player and having a 3 headed centre monster, he has a lot of intangibles as well.

While I love Kadri and think he will be a core piece for us for a long time (I mean the guy is on a steal contract , is a back to back 30 goal scorer, and is a legit two way stud) Just because players are friends doesn't mean you don't trade one of them. If JVR was Tavares's only friend on the team I'd hope management wouldn't resign him. Tavarse is a big boy. He'll be able to make friends.

Anyway i'd imagine Nylander gets traded before Kadri does (which breaks my hear).

wwgrd

Apr 28, 2014
Well, I sense I've touched upon a sensative topic here. No idea why it has to be that way?

Kadri had a rough start (particularly off ice) for a pro hockey player.. Lots of questions surrounding him. Which I would imagine is something you typically want to avoid as a professional athlete in general.... then espcially when you are coming into the league. The less questions about your character/off ice issues the better.....no? Thats never going to help.

That much is very obvious (to me anyway) and I cant imagine would be news to anyone ...and as Pookie mentioned Kadri has completly turned his career around since then. I think he had/has the full "support" of the management team and then you have Mr.Babcock and of course maturity having alot to do with it. I mean I dont know how that can be disputed.

As I mentioed previously, just thought it was strange (and it appears some posters agree with me) that Dubas mentioned an addiitional 3 or 4 "core" players (other than the big 3) that I would never have had on my list of core players and then he doesnt even mention Kadri.

Kadri AND Nylander would be on my list... but dont think i'd be giving up Nylander before Kadri if it came down to it.

Should continue to be an exciting off season!! Go leafs Go!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
While I love Kadri and think he will be a core piece for us for a long time (I mean the guy is on a steal contract , is a back to back 30 goal scorer, and is a legit two way stud) Just because players are friends doesn't mean you don't trade one of them. If JVR was Tavares's only friend on the team I'd hope management wouldn't resign him. Tavarse is a big boy. He'll be able to make friends.

Anyway i'd imagine Nylander gets traded before Kadri does (which breaks my hear).
Even then he's not getting traded right away. Kadri was actually supposed to fly to Cali to talk to JT but he wasn't able to make it work due to personal commitments.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Is Kadri better than Matthews or Tavares? If he isn't he's the 3C. Pretty simple stuff
My point was that being 3rd line C on the team doesn't mean he's not a core player. On most NHL teams he's a 2C and even a 1C on a few teams.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
Kadri will be playing a lot against third and fourth lines this year, especially on the road. We need him to light it up there. Will play with Johnsson IMO

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's part of the core. Now, it depends on how you define a number 1 center. I'd say there are only about 20 or so centers who you can rely on as your number 1's and build a contender around. Kadri's isn't one of those guys. He falls into that next tier of 1b/2a guys which are probably around 21 to 40 among the center rankings. Having one of those guys and paying them 4.5 million is extremely valuable, and not something you trade outside of a dramatic overpay. We also have 2 of those 20 centers you would be comfortable building a contender around. I would guess this was just Dubas slipping up when quickly responding to a question and not an intentional slight.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I would rather see Marleau/Tavarses/C.Brown and Johnsson/Kadri/Marner, then Marleau/Tavarses/Marner and Johnsson/Kadri/C.Brown.
Kadri can score, and stuck with non-passing wingers was a waste. Marner already proved he can make Kadri's goal scoring explode, but
I think Tavarses could turn C.Brown into at least the next Gary Leeman.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He's part of the core until his sweetheart contract expires, at which point he can go find someone else to overpay him for his back 9.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
IIRC, he named a bunch of wingers that a centre might play with. Kadri was excluded from the list because he's a centre.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Is Kadri better than Matthews or Tavares? If he isn't he's the 3C. Pretty simple stuff

What kind of logic is that!?
Wasn't kadri ranked like 28th centre in the league, played against the top lines in a shutdown role, with komarov on wing? This basically makes him a 1st line centre that we have the 'luxury' of playing as a third C

At 4.5 mil i can assure u he is not going anywhere any time soon. And the grit he brings to the team makes him absolutely essential. Definition of a core piece.

Can't wait for this crazy three headed attack this year.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
That's a big core. That's 9/19 players on the ice at any given time. You can almost call that a team.

Personally, I only consider core guys players that you absolutely cannot afford to lose under any circumstance.

Matthews, Tavares, probably Rielly, that's it.

It would suck to lose Marner or Nylander or even Kadri,but it wouldn't be franchise crippling like one of the above. Some might disagree on Tavares, but elite players down the middle is how you win cups in this league.

I guess ur definition of core is more stringent than mine.
I would define it as 5 to 6 players that r among ur top 6 forwards or top 2 D and u just can't replace them w/o incurring huge cap damage, or losing high end prospects. In this sense players like Naz or rielly are for sure core pieces. You cannot replace a 30 goal scoring C signed at 4.5 mil.

Matthews, Tavares, Reilly, Marner, Kadri, and Nylander (if contract under 7 mil) makes the core for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad