Speculation: Kadri or Gardiner for ROR? Dreger?

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
At this point I would strongly consider offfersheeting ROR. Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd ---- That is what we would be giving up, so I would put down 4.5 @ 7 years for ROR. Right now it looks like we would be giving around a 15th selection to Colorado, plus 75th. I understand the risks but I fel we wouldn't be getting anyone like ROR in the first round next year anyways.

With our luck we miss playoffs by 1 point (defeating the odds) and (defeating the odds again) win lottery for 1st overall.

This place will EXPLODE!!! :pullhair:

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ

Wow - You know how to use emoticons. Way to go dude.

Bottom line is that last year Grabo's point totals were similar to ROR's. And Grabo has actually done that a few years on a row. This year, Grabo is always playing against the other team's best lines. So while his offensive production is down, so are the Leafs GAA. To not give at least a part of the credit to Grabs and Kule would be ridiculous.

I admit ROR has the potential to be better, but I don't think the slight upgrade is worth Grads or Kadri.

See Mirtle column here.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...fs-55-million-checking-centre/article8748765/

thelittleredbaron

Feb 9, 2013
I have heard, universally, that he has the potential to be a very good 200 ft center. That remains to be seen whether he is going to be that. His offensive production is also streaky, as was pointed out above. So while he might be a slight potential upgrade over Grabo in all departments, my point is why trade for that if it means sacrificing one of the few building blocks of our future?

Both Gards and kadri have proven that they too show tremendous potential, and we have Grabo coming into his prime. His experience could be an important intangible in the playoffs, even if he is starting slow this year in offensive production.

I think Bozak is our #2 C. If this was full season he is on pace for 57 points and a plus 5 while winning 57% of his faceoffs.Can play defence and he is only just hitting his potential.Getting ROR is a sideways move,yes I agree ROR is a upgrade but not a big enough upgrade to sacrifice a gardiner or something similar.I say pass on him!He is #2 C at best and we already have that at a much better price,also with cap going to 64 million next season.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
ROR is pretty much a slight upgrade on Bozak Offensively and better defensively.

The difference between the 2 is not worth trading any of our top prospects/players. The only way I would want that greedy ass mofo on this team is if he comes for a 2nd + B-prospect.

This guy thinks his career 0.45 PPG is worth $5mil. to put that in perspective, kadri has a 0.47ppg and he has only ever gotten 3rd line minutes

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Exactly. I can't see why Gunnarsson wouldn't be a good start in negotiations. A steady top-4 d-man is something the Avs DESPERATELY need and Gunnarsson fits the bill. I understand if there is skepticism from the Avs side as Gunnar isn't quite a household name but he's easily a top-4 d-man who's poised to establish himself as such in this league. Not to mention he's an upcoming RFA so the Avs would be able to retain him for a long time and at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't worry about Avs fans having concerns about Gunnarsson.

Don't forget they are the ones with the player they don't think is worth the money he is asking with a single season of offensive contributions.

Avs are not offering up a Duchene here, it is O'Reilly. Ask them who they value more and why?

The marketing hype on O'Reilly is completely unrealistic. Heck, we're hearing all sorts of new stats that are in the development phases being used to justify how good he is. As I found out he's better than Malkin based on those stats.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
they cant afford to do that, they dont have money like the leafs and they cannot give ROR money that matt duchene doesnt have.

Boston i think either had to pick Krecji or Kessel to sign and thye picked Krecji

You have what is alleged to be one of "the great young" centers in the sport and they can't afford him? No, this is a player who's supposed value is 100% fabricated by the media. And now all the fans who haven't seen him play are letting their imaginations run wild.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Ive heard a rumor from a buddy who was talking to an NHL scout saying that Nonis may offersheet ROR--that would be best plan...Avs wont match it and then we only lose a cpl low picks, next move Grabo who is having a slow year to where or for who I dunno but if we had ROR Grabo's not needed and Bozie is having a stellar season and his chemistry with Kessel, Lupul...and dont forget Kadri (last year) its hard to find a guy that fits anywhere you put him ! Grabo cant be used in that way in my opinion and we could get something decent for him as well

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ive heard a rumor from a buddy who was talking to an NHL scout saying that Nonis may offersheet ROR--that would be best plan...Avs wont match it and then we only lose a cpl low picks, next move Grabo who is having a slow year to where or for who I dunno but if we had ROR Grabo's not needed and Bozie is having a stellar season and his chemistry with Kessel, Lupul...and dont forget Kadri (last year) its hard to find a guy that fits anywhere you put him ! Grabo cant be used in that way in my opinion and we could get something decent for him as well

We'll lose our 1st and 3rd round picks. In theory that could be first overall. Its a substantial risk

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
Offer sheet 1 yr 5 m would they match if so they can't trade him for 1 yr and be in the same position next yr

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
Does he actually think he's worth a contract with a caphit upwards of 5 million, or is this just a ploy to get him out of Colorado for whatever reason?

Whatever it is, he seems to getting overhyped now.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I wouldn't worry about Avs fans having concerns about Gunnarsson.

Don't forget they are the ones with the player they don't think is worth the money he is asking with a single season of offensive contributions.

Avs are not offering up a Duchene here, it is O'Reilly. Ask them who they value more and why?

The marketing hype on O'Reilly is completely unrealistic. Heck, we're hearing all sorts of new stats that are in the development phases being used to justify how good he is. As I found out he's better than Malkin based on those stats.

Exactly. Avs fans even chat him up like some kind of future HOFer, and we all know that's highly unlikely.

I think the Leafs moving any piece such as Kadri or Gardiner(and more) is a step in the wrong direction.

Even flirting with moving Bozak or Grabovski isn't much of an upgrade either.

I'd give up MacArthur, and maybe Gunarsson, or a B rate prospect like D'Amigo. I might even be considered nice by throwing in Liles or giving them Komisarek for free and maybe...a 3rd round pick. If they're lucky.

But even giving up those guys doesn't solve the Leafs team problems in the middle. In fact, it creates more of a logjam.

Removing Bozak hurts Kessel.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
If you offer sheet for 1 yr they might not match

wow....are you kidding...he asked for a trade he doesnt want to be in colorado they wont match it and they cant afford to if leafs offer 5 or 5.5mill they cant do anything if they do they handcuff themselves

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We'll lose our 1st and 3rd round picks. In theory that could be first overall. Its a substantial risk

You can't be putting "in theory" and "substantial risk" in this equation.

Hell with it, lets pull out the bully bat 5.5m per over 5 years.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX

I wouldn't even do that. We all know the Leafs are plenty capable of folding in the season. If Kessel goes down, or Phaneuf goes out if Grabovski is out...if Reimer can't come back...this team has a history of finding a way to tease then lose a season.

There are plenty of good potential draft picks in the top 8 this year, and maybe a few more outside of that who could really help build the Leafs from the bottom up. Including a few guys who could end up being great 1st line centers.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

ya and its not a risk if we can keep par with how our season has gone so far....as leaf fans wed never get lucky enough to win the lottery....we could finish last and lose to another team..

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX

If you pay ROR 5 million for 5...it's going to make bringing other guys back like Phaneuf and Kessel more difficult, unless they both plan on taking haircuts.

Phaneuf maybe...Kessel who knows.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I wouldn't even do that. We all know the Leafs are plenty capable of folding in the season. If Kessel goes down, or Phaneuf goes out if Grabovski is out...if Reimer can't come back...this team has a history of finding a way to tease then lose a season.

There are plenty of good potential draft picks in the top 8 this year, and maybe a few more outside of that who could really help build the Leafs from the bottom up. Including a few guys who could end up being great 1st line centers.

Sorry, did i say that offer sheet had to come now?

All we have to do is wait another 3 to 4 weeks and we would have a fairly safe idea where we end up.

3 to4 weeks we could have Lups/Reim/Frat/Gards/Gunner back in the line up add in ROR moving forward and well, you get the drift.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If you pay ROR 5 million for 5...it's going to make bringing other guys back like Phaneuf and Kessel more difficult, unless they both plan on taking haircuts.

Phaneuf maybe...Kessel who knows.

How so?

Boz is a UFA, we have no idea what he wants or even if he is signing here.

Grabo could be traded or amnesty bought out.

Heck a amnesty buyout of Komi covers 4.5m for next season right there.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Funny, I heard that same rumour. Didn't hear anything about Grabbo though.

Sounds like Nonis is kicking tires here, but doesn't quite see Sidney oreilly in the same light the Avs do. Could play hardball here an throw a sheet RORs way.

Don't think it would be 5 per though.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
ROR is pretty much a slight upgrade on Bozak Offensively and better defensively.

The difference between the 2 is not worth trading any of our top prospects/players. The only way I would want that greedy ass mofo on this team is if he comes for a 2nd + B-prospect.

This guy thinks his career 0.45 PPG is worth $5mil. to put that in perspective, kadri has a 0.47ppg and he has only ever gotten 3rd line minutes

ROR is better offensively and significantly better defensively than Bozak. Your also completely negating his upside with your logic, the guy is 22.

It wouldn't be out of the question for his trajectory to run circles around Bozak's in a few years. They are not comparable at all. Bozak is a fringe 2nd line center on a good team. ROR has 1st line C upside.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
ROR is better offensively and significantly better defensively than Bozak. Your also completely negating his upside with your logic, the guy is 22.

It wouldn't be out of the question for his trajectory to run circles around Bozak's in a few years. They are not comparable at all. Bozak is a fringe 2nd line center on a good team. ROR has 1st line C upside.

And yet, last seasons point productions numbers from each were nearly the same. And, until last season, Bozak was more steadily progressing than ROR(and yes, I do realize Bozak was on line 1 most of the time and ROR wasn't).

But still, I think Kessel generates most of his offensive opportunities on his own. He was magnificient with Lupul last season, and has proven to have some juice with Kulemin as well. He is clearly missing Lupul right now, but I don't believe ROR is going to have instant chemistry with Kessel if he becomes the team's 1C.

I believe removing Bozak makes Kessel weaker. At least when it comes to replacing him with ROR(even if he is somewhat better offfensively than Bozak).

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
How so?

Boz is a UFA, we have no idea what he wants or even if he is signing here.

Grabo could be traded or amnesty bought out.

Heck a amnesty buyout of Komi covers 4.5m for next season right there.

If you add 5 million to a team who's current cap space is 6.3, you leave it with not much to work with. If Kessel and Phaneuf are seeking similar deals to what they are getting, if not more.

Kadri is an RFA next year. So are Kostka, Gunnarson, and Franson.

I don't believe flipping talent for ROR(which depletes this organization), then giving the money for one guy helps this franchise in the long-term. And I'd rather save those assets for a legitimate 1C, if one does become available. Or, the Leafs keep what they have and possibly draft a top 10 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad