Post-Game Talk: Kadri nets GWG #2 against Edmonton. Leafs sweep Oilers, win 4-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
That's cause we actually rebuilt, they hit the lotto with McDavid. Take McDavid off that team and they're dead last. Think he has 2x more points than the next closest Oiler. Take Matthews off our team and the rest of the guys are still carrying their weight. Chiarelli made some moves but they're not really rebuilt yet.

chiarelli has shown that he's pretty awful so far. because of the constant flak we get from oilers fans, i don't care that much, but i'm happy with the job that shannahan has done in comparison.

while i'd rather have macdavid over matthews, i'd rather have am, mm AND wn over macdavid.

the sad thing is with proper drafting, they could be way ahead. eberle or rnh could have netted them some d or a prospect, a hall-macdavid combo would be scary, and they could have traded for a tender for team that will be losing someone in the expansion draft, like pittsburgh or tampa.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Seriously? Have you watched them play? Their lack of offense when McDavid is not on the ice is alarming. We don't rely on any one player. They are a lottery basement team without McDavid.

Yeah. I said it when the trade was made but Hall was a HUGE piece of their core. Crazy elite producer by the numbers who drove his own possession. They have Eberle, RNH, Pouliot, Pulj, Draisatl but none are on the level of Hall at all. Larsson was a good addition, but adding by subtraction (a big subtraction) can be bad sometimes. Yes they needed to address their D, but then they go out and add Russell which is a bad nono? I know their GM went out and tried his 'hardest' but how can you not find a top-4D with potential to be a #2 out there for a combo of the players mentioned before + draft picks? Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon (too hard to get but still), Dumba all from Minnesotta would've been good options, etc.

They'll make the playoffs because of McDavid but trading Hall was a big mistake IMO.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Remember how cocky Bruins fans were at one point when Chia was their GM? he's a terrible GM and outside of outsmarting Burke, which is like outsmarting a dodo bird, he didn't do anything for the Bruins. People need to remember that just because you're a GM, doesn't mean you're great at your job. Listen to Doug Maclean for 2 minutes. That man made millions running a franchise into the ground and his claim to fame is a #1 overall pick who's had a nice, yet, meh career(for a #1). Still cannot believe PC dealt Hall for Larsson.

I can't name a single major move that Chia has made for the Pilers hat I haven't found to be terrible.

In particular when t comes to trades, I feel he gets tunnel vision and never tries to shop around enough to get a better deal. Ie I simply cannot believe that the package of spare parts he got from Dallas was the best deal he could have gotten for Seguin, nor can I believe Larsson was the best player he could have gotten for Hall

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Remember how cocky Bruins fans were at one point when Chia was their GM? he's a terrible GM and outside of outsmarting Burke, which is like outsmarting a dodo bird, he didn't do anything for the Bruins. People need to remember that just because you're a GM, doesn't mean you're great at your job. Listen to Doug Maclean for 2 minutes. That man made millions running a franchise into the ground and his claim to fame is a #1 overall pick who's had a nice, yet, meh career(for a #1). Still cannot believe PC dealt Hall for Larsson.

Chia rode Jeff Gorton's coattails and assets to a cup and only made one really great trade (the Kessel trade). All of the other core guys apart from Chara were Gorton draft picks or assets apart from Chara, who followed Chia from Ottawa to Boston.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Leafs overall team speed was on full display tonight.
Blueline gets alot of heat but not many teams in the league can put up 4 D with the ability to get around the ice like Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Carrick do.

4uston M4tthews

Nov 15, 2010
Chia is brutal. He was brutal in Boston too. Being smarter than Burke isnt a thing. Was he even their GM when they got Chara, Thomas and Rask? I cant even remember.

Come to think of it its remarkable how much like Burke he actually is. Both guys stumbled ass over teakettle into cups.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yeah. I said it when the trade was made but Hall was a HUGE piece of their core. Crazy elite producer by the numbers who drove his own possession. They have Eberle, RNH, Pouliot, Pulj, Draisatl but none are on the level of Hall at all. Larsson was a good addition, but adding by subtraction (a big subtraction) can be bad sometimes. Yes they needed to address their D, but then they go out and add Russell which is a bad nono? I know their GM went out and tried his 'hardest' but how can you not find a top-4D with potential to be a #2 out there for a combo of the players mentioned before + draft picks? Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon (too hard to get but still), Dumba all from Minnesotta would've been good options, etc.

They'll make the playoffs because of McDavid but trading Hall was a big mistake IMO.

When? They aint making the playoffs this season.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I can't name a single major move that Chia has made for the Pilers hat I haven't found to be terrible.

In particular when t comes to trades, I feel he gets tunnel vision and never tries to shop around enough to get a better deal. Ie I simply cannot believe that the package of spare parts he got from Dallas was the best deal he could have gotten for Seguin, nor can I believe Larsson was the best player he could have gotten for Hall
Gorton pretty much assembled the bruins team by the time chia took the reigns.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
For an offensive defenseman, I hardly see Rielly ever getting caught up the ice. His transitional game is unreal.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs overall team speed was on full display tonight.
Blueline gets alot of heat but not many teams in the league can put up 4 D with the ability to get around the ice like Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Carrick do.

Yeah, I noticed that every time we were stuck in our zone it was Hunlak being Hunlak. Good news is that both will be gone by the end of the year.

Have to admit though, they played really really well 5 on 3. Epic kill.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
like i've been saying - when a team's young core is all on the team, and they're still a bottom feeder, then those kids just aren't good enough.

if the leafs kids are a future cup winning core, then they should be battling for a playoff spot this year.

if they aren't, barring extreme circumstances, then we should be worried.

I think that statement is half and half true. What if Andersen wasn't the goalie for instance. You can still lose badly with a great young core thats just a bit under developed. No?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
goalie could definitely sabotage a team, no doubt.

Andersen flopping would be one of those "extreme circumstances" that would make sucking understandable.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
For an offensive defenseman, I hardly see Rielly ever getting caught up the ice. His transitional game is unreal.

He kind of got caught watching on the wrong side(out of position) when Connor burst out of that log jam and skated around him. He made a mistake that only McDavid could exploit. Still a mistake though because he has to be aware of every time McDavid is on tge ice. Rielly has played two really good sloid games in a row. He needs to bring that every night.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
rielly was just hopping over the boards, and it was a weak ass play by bozak that let mcdavid spring free on the counter.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Kadri's come a long way... Babcock molded him proper.
Yeah has become one heck of a reliable 2-way center that is frustrating as hell to play against. I fully expect most teams in the league already do or will utterly hate him by season's end :).

It's great that he can play against top lines and produce against them. Such a good deal they have him signed up for.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Kadri's come a long way... Babcock molded him proper.

He's been a revelation this year. I'm really enjoying this team honestly. It seems like the rookies have revitalized some of the vets because Bozak, JvR, Kadri, even Gardiner are playing some inspired hockey. Marner in particular has made Bozak and JvR way better players, at least in 2/3 zones.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Lucic after the game:

"That is still something we are learning as a young group. No matter whom you are playing, you have to get up for the games."

Solid troll. Think he posts on HFboards?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
So 3 of the Oilers top 4 vs our bottom pair?

Let's try Rielly/Zaitsev/Gardiner.

Go back to the Oilers board. Should probably start prepping up on the 2016 draft class.

Settle down, I'm a Leafs fan. I was just naming a few dman I dont really care what pairing theyre on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad