Kadri December 2013 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Kadri had a golden opportunity, be the #1C on this team and make the most out of it. Force Carlyle's hand that he can't take you off that first line, because you are simply producing at a high rate with two skilled wingers.

He didn't play bad by any means, but given the opportunity, I'd say it was a disappointment. He's simply not ready to face top line defenders and checking lines. I'm not saying he won't ever get there, but he certainly is not ready this season.

You can say Kessel is playing bad, but JVR is rolling for a couple of games now, JVR looked good and some nights it was only JVR who looked good. #1C's in this league aren't supposed to wait for their star winger to start playing, they have to force it upon themselves to get his wingers rolling.

He isn't having a horrible season statistically, but he's certainly under performing in all area's. He had a chance to clear the puck vs Detroit and he was soft on the puck, they score.

Carlyle said it best, we're trying to make him into a top 2 center, but he thinks he' a top 1 right now. Does Kadri have the work ethic to be a #1C in this league? he's as skilled as any top line center should be, its the consistency and work ethic that need to follow.

I hope he goes back to training with Gary Roberts, he looked stronger last season, looked faster, don't know why Leafs told him to train at ACC the whole off-season. Gary Roberts knows what he's doing, and that goes back to Kadri's work ethic. Obviously the Leafs didn't trust him to be out of their sight training with Gary Roberts.

You are also great at faceoffs by having a strong work ethic, wanting that puck more, practicing non stop. Kadri hasn't seem to improved in the faceoffs at all. Smithson said recently when asked, what advice would he give Kadri on the faceoffs, and he said you have to want the puck more, you have to go to battle for it everytime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
he's sort of in a sophomore slump... happened to duchene too... and it's not like he's useless. I still expect him to be a 70 point player, maybe next year. I agree on Gary Roberts.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of competition, rather the line does not compliment each other well. Kadri and Kessel are offensive catalysts, the both drive the plays and are at the best when they are QBing a line. Having them together neutralizes their strengths, not to mention both are poor defensively so having them together also highlights their deficiencies. Kessel and JVR work well together because JVR is a passenger player. He's there to finish every play perfectly, but not necessarily required to get things going. JVR doesn't look off his game because he doesn't need to be competing with his line mates for possession while Kadri and Kessel are. Holland seems like he'd be a better fit on that line than Kadri.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Our teams offense is much more potent when Kadri is on the 2nd line. When he is on the 1st line, we have too many eggs in one basket and to make it worse they don't even mesh together that well.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - _____

is much much much more deadly and I hope Carlyle goes back to this the moment Bozak is back.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A young player going through development and growing pains?

You don't ****ing say!

Welcome to Leafs Nation, where they want a super awesome rebuild but cannot go through the process of letting young players get better.

He's been average. Could go better, could be worst. The core players right now are not stepping up. It has to start there.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I guess it is not true, a Fire Hydrant cannot play with Kessel and JVR.

Maybe we should say not just anyone can "piggy back" off of Kessel and JVR. It's not easy covering up for these 2 players defensive lapses.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
A young player going through development and growing pains?

You don't ****ing say!

Welcome to Leafs Nation, where they want a super awesome rebuild but cannot go through the process of letting young players get better.

Don't know where you got that in any of my post. Also, we are not in a rebuild stage, thats over and done with. I'm a huge fan of Kadri's and wanted him locked up long term, so it's not just me going on a rant because I hate the kid.

Welcome to HFboards, where a criticism of a player is frowned upon, and instantly criticized.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Hate his "We've plenty of time left" attitude.

Some blue collar hockey please.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Other than his poor faceoff performance I don't know how much the disappearance of the 1st line can all be pinned on Kadri. His superstar RW looks completely disinterested in playing in either end of the ice at the moment. Hopefully Bozak's return will cheer his chum up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Don't know where you got that in any of my post. Also, we are not in a rebuild stage, thats over and done with. I'm a huge fan of Kadri's and wanted him locked up long term, so it's not just me going on a rant because I hate the kid.

Welcome to HFboards, where a criticism of a player is frowned upon, and instantly criticized.

But there are so many other issues with this team than a 23 year old player on pace for 52 points in 78 games. He's only in his 2nd season full time in the NHL.

Rebuild or not, a lot of fans can't handle mistakes and average play from young players. This thread is a good example of that. It's unbelievable how fast some of you can sour at the sight of adversity with certain players.

I don't understand why Kadri gets any criticism at this stage of the game... but carry on if you wish. :handclap: I can name a million other disappointments about this team, but let's get down on Kadri.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Other than his poor faceoff performance I don't know how much the disappearance of the 1st line can all be pinned on Kadri. His superstar RW looks completely disinterested in playing in either end of the ice at the moment. Hopefully Bozak's return will cheer his chum up.

Really? Is that the kind of player you want to build a team around? Man, I miss Sundin. He did not need anybody to get him going. I hope it's not true, I hope Kessel does not need Bozak to cheer him up.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Really? Is that the kind of player you want to build a team around? Man, I miss Sundin. He did not need anybody to get him going. I hope it's not true, I hope Kessel does not need Bozak to cheer him up.
Maybe it was more the thought all of that gluttony over the Christmas break has been distracting PK during the games. I know the guy is streaky but his effort level is disgusting lately.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I don't blame any one of them, they are trying. But they are so disjointed trying to make something happen. When they do get chances it is solely on their talent alone. They are not playing as a unit, and this reflects on them defensively.

Too many guys on that line want to be the A type playmaker. Not enough puck to go around, no one to mind the store when all 3 are up ice.

Let this be a lesson to all the Bozak bashers out there, Kessel and JVR have not been a force since he was hurt. That 4 goal game against Crosby head to head seems decades ago. Just putting 3 skill guys on one line, does not guarantee success.

Hopefully for our sake, one of our best all around centers in Bozak will be back on the 29th.

And it will no doubt kickstart that line, you can even say with Bozak back, Kessel and JVR can piggy back off of having their #1 Center back.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

I agree. Kessel has looked very bad the last 10-15 games. He is constantly turning the puck over in the offensive zone, and his play along the boards has been non-existent.

He's been the main problem up there.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Kadri doesn't have the defensive awareness to be a #1 on this team. His skill set is there but I don't see him playing well when he's matched up against the likes of Crosby, Toews, Bergeron etc..

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Our top line's offense is heavily run by the run and gun style of JVR and Kessel. Do you guys remember all the 2 on 1 opportunities they used to have to score? Since Kadri has been put on that line, those chances have evaporated. I don't recall more then 3 or 4 odd man rushes with JVR and Kessel lugging the puck. Kadri likes to have the puck on his stick and he slows the game down like most good center. That game is perfectly complemented by slowish big power wingers who can push their way through the opposing teams defense.

Carlyle is a ****ing moron not to realize that Kadri's game completely nullifies the speed game JVR and Kessel like to play. Bozak's game plan on the top line is usually, take care of the defense, get the puck to Kessel and GTFO. It's simple and it works. Carlyle has managed to completely **** 3 of the top 4 offensive talents on the team by loading up that top line.

Most ideal lineup: With Injuries

JVR - Holland - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Ramond - Smith - Clarkson
D'Amigo - McClement - Ashton/ Bodie

that line up would give us 3 competent scoring lines. Ramond and Clarkson have meshed well with Smith. Kadri and Lupul were dominant for long stretches last season. Holland has been very good defensively for the most part and likes to shoot quite a bit and can be used effectively as a trailer on an odd man rush set up by JVR - Kessel.

It seems so simple, yet Carlyle hasn't given it a shot. I get that you want to be loyal to Kadri and reward him for all his efforts and give him every possible opportunity to become the top line C he's capable of becoming but for **** sakes, he completely ****s up that top line and he's not nearly skilled enough or fast enough to single handily carry that line. When our offense was going good, Lupul and Kadri were a pairing and JVR - Kessel had numerous 2 on 1's every game.

Carlyle is just a stubborn ****. Team before player loyalty.

DaveT83*

Lets take a 165lb hockey player - and stick him with arguably the SOFTEST PLAYER IN ENTIRE LEAGUE.

And hope for the best!!!!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Good players make those they play with better.

The first line is struggling mightily offensively at present and Kadri is not snapping the line out of its slump and his linemates are not helping him either.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I don't blame any one of them, they are trying. But they are so disjointed trying to make something happen. When they do get chances it is solely on their talent alone. They are not playing as a unit, and this reflects on them defensively.

Too many guys on that line want to be the A type playmaker. Not enough puck to go around, no one to mind the store when all 3 are up ice.

Let this be a lesson to all the Bozak bashers out there, Kessel and JVR have not been a force since he was hurt. That 4 goal game against Crosby head to head seems decades ago. Just putting 3 skill guys on one line, does not guarantee success.

Hopefully for our sake, one of our best all around centers in Bozak will be back on the 29th.

And it will no doubt kickstart that line, you can even say with Bozak back, Kessel and JVR can piggy back off of having their #1 Center back.

No one is even talking about their lack of defensive play, they're talking about the lack of offense. Stats prove that Kessel's offense actually suffers when he plays with bozak, and JVR's improves a little. If the line gets going when Bozak is back it's nothing more then coincidence. Only in leafs land would playing your three best players together be a negative thing, the line has not even played poorly together, however the results are not there (not because of a lack of chances). Bozak's return might bring an increase in offense, but don't honestly think that he is in any way our best overall center or that the line will piggy back off him in any way. That's a joke.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Our top line's offense is heavily run by the run and gun style of JVR and Kessel. Do you guys remember all the 2 on 1 opportunities they used to have to score? Since Kadri has been put on that line, those chances have evaporated. I don't recall more then 3 or 4 odd man rushes with JVR and Kessel lugging the puck. Kadri likes to have the puck on his stick and he slows the game down like most good center. That game is perfectly complemented by slowish big power wingers who can push their way through the opposing teams defense.

Carlyle is a ****ing moron not to realize that Kadri's game completely nullifies the speed game JVR and Kessel like to play. Bozak's game plan on the top line is usually, take care of the defense, get the puck to Kessel and GTFO. It's simple and it works. Carlyle has managed to completely **** 3 of the top 4 offensive talents on the team by loading up that top line.

Most ideal lineup: With Injuries

JVR - Holland - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Ramond - Smith - Clarkson
D'Amigo - McClement - Ashton/ Bodie

that line up would give us 3 competent scoring lines. Ramond and Clarkson have meshed well with Smith. Kadri and Lupul were dominant for long stretches last season. Holland has been very good defensively for the most part and likes to shoot quite a bit and can be used effectively as a trailer on an odd man rush set up by JVR - Kessel.

It seems so simple, yet Carlyle hasn't given it a shot. I get that you want to be loyal to Kadri and reward him for all his efforts and give him every possible opportunity to become the top line C he's capable of becoming but for **** sakes, he completely ****s up that top line and he's not nearly skilled enough or fast enough to single handily carry that line. When our offense was going good, Lupul and Kadri were a pairing and JVR - Kessel had numerous 2 on 1's every game.

Carlyle is just a stubborn ****. Team before player loyalty.

Excellent post! Great to read some well thought out hockey opinions. In your own way, you just explained why Wilson and Carlyle never went long stretches with Grabovoski with Kessel and JVR. If Kadri who is 10x the playmaker that Mikfail is, cannot make it work. It would not work with 5.5. So people who keep claiming otherwise with bar graphs or analytics are just wrong.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hes not big enough or strong enough to out work top pairing D men or checking forwards. Bozak is a lot better at that and is way stronger on the puck than Kadri is. We cant even match our top line against other teams top lines because it seems like Kadri can't handle it. When Bozak is playing there its more likely to happen, hell they did it against Crosby and they stomped his line.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Excellent post! Great to read some well thought out hockey opinions. In your own way, you just explained why Wilson and Carlyle never went long stretches with Grabovoski with Kessel and JVR. If Kadri who is 10x the playmaker that Mikfail is, cannot make it work. It would not work with 5.5. So people who keep claiming otherwise with bar graphs or analytics are just wrong.

No, you just think your opinion is worth more then real statistics.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No one is even talking about their lack of defensive play, they're talking about the lack of offense. Stats prove that Kessel's offense actually suffers when he plays with bozak, and JVR's improves a little. If the line gets going when Bozak is back it's nothing more then coincidence. Only in leafs land would playing your three best players together be a negative thing, the line has not even played poorly together, however the results are not there (not because of a lack of chances). Bozak's return might bring an increase in offense, but don't honestly think that he is in any way our best overall center or that the line will piggy back off him in any way. That's a joke.

What stats are you referring to, the Cam Charron bar graph that points to Kessel missing Joey Crabb?

Bozak is the best Center Kessel has had, Lupul and JVR also have benefitted from this. You will have a hard time pointing to any stats this year that Kessel is doing better with Kadri, using the eye test, using plus minus, goals or assists or even your misdirected analytics to explain how this line has gone now 5 games without a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad