Line Combos: Kadri back to the wing

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I wonder if Kadri could make a return to the wing now that he has been in the league a few years.

I don't think he has the physical makeup to play C against top flight C's and their size so instead play him on the wing. I don't think Wilson's system was good for him as a winger but maybe under Carlyle it may work.

My thought process is on the wing
1.he use his speed to beat D and create penalties
2. While small still plays with an edge so getting pucks out in our zone he is not afraid to take a hit to make a play unlike Kessel or use his dangle skills to chip it by a D
3. Can still be a setup guy on the wing for whomever is his linemates.
4. Doesn't have to worry about his draws.
5. Allows the Leafs to bring in a bigger grittier C to play on that line with him an Lupul

You could deal Gardiner for a young centre who can step into the #2 role.

Booner Jenner, Ryan Johansen, Martin Hanzel, Brock Nelson, Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn. Mikael Backlund, Sam Gagner, Charlie Coyle, Patrick Berglund

Obviously the cap issue is sticky for this year but with the cap going up could be an ideal way to get a better top 9 and free up a spot for Percy or another young D next year.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Gardiner wouldn't get you any of those players (not to mention they'd have to be available in the first place) aside from maybe backlund.

He's finally getting acclimated to the center position. I say leave him where he is.

Ace88*

Yeah kadri doesnt need to be dicked around anymore. He is a centre and thats where he'll play.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think he has the physical makeup to play C against top flight C's and their size

I don't get this statement. Should we also move Bolland to the wing because he's a few pounds lighter than Kadri, or Bozak who's only a few pounds bigger? All three are the same height.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I guess Sidney Crosby, Toews, Datsyuk aren't capable of matching up to top centers. Size is becoming incredibly overrated.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The only real centers there that I could see upgrading the existing group in the future is Johansen and the Flyers centers. Even Couturier looks more like a great 3C.

I see lots of 3C's, tweeners and low-level 2C's in that group.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My question is: If Kadri is your best center, your future no. 1 center, why isn't he playing no. 1 center? Yes he will make mistakes but we are disorganized and losing right now anyway. It would be like having Tavares on the 2nd line and Frans Neilsen playing no. 1. Not comparing Tavares and Kadri, just saying he is 23 and drafted for a specific reason.
I like Kadri but feel he will be an NHL 2nd line center.
I would however give him the opportunity to prove me wrong.
Does management feel he is a no. 1?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I don't get this statement. Should we also move Bolland to the wing because he's a few pounds lighter than Kadri, or Bozak who's only a few pounds bigger? All three are the same height.

You can't tell me that Kadri is a tougher C than Bolland. Bolland is a gritty tough SOB to play against. Can handle any matchup pretty much proved it in the playoffs.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Kadri was **** at wing and doesn't need to be Ron Wilson'd anymore. He's working out fine as is. .7 PPG pace is just fine for a 2C.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
kadri isn't strong enough to win the board battles and does better in open ice. he's also used to moving more laterally like a centre. i'd keep him there. we still have raymond if we need speed and jvr, kessel, kulemin.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Maybe we could try something like this????

Raymond - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Holland - Clarkson
Levio - Kadri - Kulemin
McClement - Smithson - Orr

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunner
Ranger/Liles/Fraser - Franson

screw Randy's "shutdown" line.... let's play run and gun hockey. let Gardiner and Rielly handle the break out.

we end up relying on our goalies anyways... we might as well make that our strategy... full offense all the time and let our goalies bail us out... that's how we've been winning up until now.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I was thinking about a thread..

About how Bernier would make a good C and we could put Gardiner in net and Kadri, with his grit and tenacity, on defense. I tried this on my video game and we almost won the cup.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
About how Bernier would make a good C and we could put Gardiner in net and Kadri, with his grit and tenacity, on defense. I tried this on my video game and we almost won the cup.

scientific proof right there.

anyone who doesn't want Kadri on the wing is anti-science.

Mikey88

Feb 18, 2010
Troll City
I would keep the first line intact as they're doing fine and we need more balanced scoring. Kadri should stay at center as we are already weak at that position, doesnt make sense to move him. If anything, get him away from Clarkson.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Raymond-Kadri-Kulemin
McClement-Holland-Clarkson
Mclaren-Smith-Orr
Smithson

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gunnarsson-Gardiner
Ranger/Fraser-Franson

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
With Bolland out I could have swore we needed Kadri at center.

If anything we should break up Bert and Ernie.

Play Holland who needs to play in offensive situation with Kessel. Play Bert on the 3rd line where he can play the checking role-PK role he`s suited for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad