Kadri + 8 for Eric Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durkin67

Hey guys just driving here and I heard on the radio that Leafs could make a significant play for Eric Staal from Carolina, according to reports. Apparently it would take Kadri plus 8 for Staal and a 3rd/prospect, and talks between the two are really heating up. I'll check back later tonight when I have service to see if this blockbuster was completed.

"Hey guys just driving here and I heard on the radio that Leafs could make a significant play for Eric Staal"
Please don't type while driving. It's really dangerous...
Thanks.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Staal has the ability to exceed Kessel. This is a Champion, a leader, a franchise player in every sense.

And people here think he is not worth Kadri and an 8th lol...

Staal is not the same player Kessel is let's be realistic. He's a great player but has a monster cap hit and will be 30 years old at the start of the season. Personally with our sad little forward prospect crop I'd rather improve that, and get younger at the same time.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Staal has the ability to exceed Kessel. This is a Champion, a leader, a franchise player in every sense.

And people here think he is not worth Kadri and an 8th lol...

maybe in 2007. Staal is seriously inconsistent these days, he's past his prime

APV

Sep 28, 2009
lol going on 5 pages of a thread with absolutely no validity other than "I heard this on the radio".

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
We give away Kadri and the 8th, we get Staal for 2 years (in which we won't win the cup in that time), and then what? Likely lose him to free agency?

Don't see much of a point. Would rather throw money at Stastny if we're going all-in. Not sure why we'd go all-in in the first place, we just finished 8th last and extended the coach that brought us there.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'd be okay with it, IF Carolina ate like 1-2 million. His cap hit is huge, and right now, he's not playing like a player that deserves that cap hit.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We give away Kadri and the 8th, we get Staal for 2 years (in which we won't win the cup in that time), and then what? Likely lose him to free agency?

Don't see much of a point. Would rather throw money at Stastny if we're going all-in. Not sure why we'd go all-in in the first place, we just finished 8th last and extended the coach that brought us there.

Can't confirm pretty sure Staal family were Leaf fans.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I dont know what's so funny about this, the canes fans were complaining all year of how staal would dissappear.

He's still a #1C, but at 30 years old he's not getting any better.

He is getting old and tired of the same faces believe me. He is a fine player still.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Staal is not the same player Kessel is let's be realistic. He's a great player but has a monster cap hit and will be 30 years old at the start of the season. Personally with our sad little forward prospect crop I'd rather improve that, and get younger at the same time.

Oh look, another "he's 30, he's old, no thanks" comment LOL. 1st of all, we've been trying to get younger for years, how's that been working out? 2nd of all, 30 years old is not old, and Staal is a 1st line two-way centre; exactly what we've needed and wanted since Sundin left.

You guys would only have the 23-25 year old #1 centre's that put up 80-100 points per season or have none at all won't you? Give me and everyone else a break...

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Aging former star veteran whose career is definitely on the decline for talented young scorer and top ten pick? Sounds like something JFJ would do. I have not been impressed with Nonis since he took over but that trade does not sound like something he would consider. Nonis tends to trade for young talent. Doubt Shannahan would go for it either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Aging former star veteran whose career is definitely on the decline for talented young scorer and top ten pick? Sounds like something JFJ would do. I have not been impressed with Nonis since he took over but that trade does not sound like something he would consider. Nonis tends to trade for young talent. Doubt Shannahan would go for it either.

Then we will remain a scrub team for another decade. No worries.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
This draft has no Eric Staal's. Do it. You guys put so much hype into prospects in which 95 percent will be irrelevant by next year. There are no "sure-fire" first line centers in this draft. Staal and Bozak will win over 1300 faceoffs combined lol

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010

This is giving me flashbacks of the pre-lockout Leaf moves. No gracias.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
There is no other source for this trade and on the radio it could be anyone's swap idea.

I like Stastny but there is no proof he would sign here and given that getting Staal would cost Kadri and our #8 pick pretty heavy price but with seemingly Bolland Gone wanting a very large increase, it does have a ring of truth and what is the extra piece coming back, 3rd prospect?

Lupul Staal Raymond
JVR Bozak Kessel
Leivo Holland Clarkson
Brodie McClement Ashton
Orr

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Then we will remain a scrub team for another decade. No worries.

You see we are so much closer to being a scrub team than elite. Why would you try to do the impossible when it's so much easier to move out Phaneuf/Lupul/Bolland/Kulemin/Raymond and draft your center. We're never going to trade for him so what are we doing?
Gleason/Franson 1st line D. You can even keep Kessel doesn't matter.
Get extra picks and put ourselves in the spot to get 1 of the top 3 C next year.
We don't have to tank for 12 years. Just one year in the right year. 2015. Then retool.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

He is going to be 30 around the start of this season. He is not 35 years old....he is still in his prime. He is a big body strong Center who lead his team in scoring again. His career is not on the decline, as seen by him still leading his team in scoring.

I love Kadri, but this is the type of deal I can get behind if we are moving him as we get a first line center with a lot to prove back. He was pissed that he was left of the Olympic team. This would also address our leadership issues. He is exactly the type of player that Shanahan would love to get. This would mean that Bolland would not get resigned.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Staal is coming in for that its a blessing for one. Secondly Dion is going out for a 1st. Lupul probably as well and a more rugged forward like Moulson brought in and maybe even a Cammy. Lupul may be a part to bringing a 2D.

Could even end up being

Moulson Staal Cammy
Jvr Bozak Kessel

Pp1 Moulson Staal Kessel

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Staal is coming in for that its a blessing for one. Secondly Dion is going out for a 1st. Lupul probably as well and a more rugged forward like Moulson brought in and maybe even a Cammy. Lupul may be a part to bringing a 2D.

Could even end up being

Moulson Staal Cammy
Jvr Bozak Kessel

Pp1 Moulson Staal Kessel

Without JT I have a bad feeling Moulson is Clarkson part 2.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Without JT I have a bad feeling Moulson is Clarkson part 2.

30 in 44gp Buf
13 in 20gp Min

Not bad considering transitions into system take time. Tack on 15-20% performance and you get.

@15%

35 in 44
15 in 20

Pretty good .75ppg player which is what we need. Playing with Staal if lucky tack @20%

36 and 16 which would be good I think and that's being realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad