Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
this shows me he's still a ways off.

Rantanen is a unit. Kakko needs to become a unit.

Get horrible confidence from him in that picture. He's built like Lafreniere here.

With a quarter of the confidence. If they switched temperaments Kakko would already be on his way to becoming a star and Laf would at least be working on what he needs to, hard, and be better positioned for future success.

But yes… you want to be the best? Look no further than this picture. It isn’t just being 18 and talented. Rantanen, as you said, is a unit. Put in the work. Want it. Become the best.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Only people who have lived some life and are quiet are hiding something lethal. People who are 22 year old millionaires and have Kakko’s body language in this picture are just genuinely awkward, shy and unconfident. I would give my left nut to see Kakko with Laf’s confidence and comfort level and Laf with Kakko’s humility and self awareness. Our prospects each have the wrong temperament for their attributes. A confident, assertive Kakko is probably a force. A humble, self aware Laf is probably working so much harder to get to the level he needs to be. Would be nice.
That picture is real life representation of Chad vs Virgin meme.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
That picture is real life representation of Chad vs Virgin meme.

IMG_5971.gif

Reactions: duhmetreE

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Only people who have lived some life and are quiet are hiding something lethal. People who are 22 year old millionaires and have Kakko’s body language in this picture are just genuinely awkward, shy and unconfident. I would give my left nut to see Kakko with Laf’s confidence and comfort level and Laf with Kakko’s humility and self awareness. Our prospects each have the wrong temperament for their attributes. A confident, assertive Kakko is probably a force. A humble, self aware Laf is probably working so much harder to get to the level he needs to be. Would be nice.
There is definitely something to this.

Thing about Kakko is we have seen that confidence and comfort level and what happens when its flowing, before the Rangers. TPS Kakko was one of the most dominant, electric personas of a prospect ive ever seen.

I really think a combination of things (new country, language barrier and the way he has been treated by coaches and maybe teammates) stunted him in that regard.

I think its still there and I think we could see it again - if the stars align and he is shown the confidence and patience he deserves. I just hope it happens here in NY.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think its still there and I think we could see it again - if the stars align and he is shown the confidence and patience he deserves. I just hope it happens here in NY.
Regarding this:
Somewhat interesting, there was a Finnish article where a reporter (a former Liiga professional actually) went to the ice with Turku based NHL players a few weeks ago. Rantanen, Kakko, Lehkonen etc. Korpikoski was actually the one doing the coaching. Anyway, the reporter and Rantanen said that Kakko was the most vocal jester of the group, always playing around and shooting shit. Kinda interesting, considering he has always seemed a bit shy over at New York and elsewhere TBH.
I wonder if/when he's really comfortable with English that will come.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

That pic with him rolling on molly at a festival with his smoke show model gf on his shoulders says he's a boss.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Lol sorry. Flew over my head

Ahaha man, purely joking, you're not a d*ck at all.

In all seriousness, I think Kakko is just a dude that takes hockey very seriously and that may come across 'dorkish' or 'shy'. I see a lot of that in foxy too where he seems like a total dweeb sometimes.

Kakko by far has the most well rounded game out of any kid who has been on this team as far back as I can remember (save for foxy). That sounds like a serious man to me. He definitely lets loose and is a total celeb in his country.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Here's the clip. Looks good but I am personally a bit cautious because I feel like on previous years he has slowed down as the season gets going. Dunno if it has been him losing the muscle gained during the summer or what

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Here's the clip. Looks good but I am personally a bit cautious because I feel like on previous years he has slowed down as the season gets going. Dunno if it has been him losing the muscle gained during the summer or what

its hard to fell without a comparison to previous years times or other skaters.

Reactions: Rongomania

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kakko is never gonna be a burner, its not his game.

But I have seen small improvements in his skating over the past few seasons.

He looked quicker when he was younger probably because he has such large genetics and his body strength needs to catch up with this weight/frame.

They have him listed 6'2 206 now. Not sure what he was last year but I think hes put on some muscle. Hes 22. He's gained his freshman 15.

Reactions: AirGut

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
There is definitely something to this.

Thing about Kakko is we have seen that confidence and comfort level and what happens when its flowing, before the Rangers. TPS Kakko was one of the most dominant, electric personas of a prospect ive ever seen.

I really think a combination of things (new country, language barrier and the way he has been treated by coaches and maybe teammates) stunted him in that regard.

My first real impressions of Kakko as a person was watching behind the scenes video of him at the 2019 draft getting his picture taken alongside Hughes & Dach and some of the other top American prospects at the time, not even uttering a word and just awkwardly having to stand around everyone else while they were all buddy-buddy and hyping eachother up. He's a quiet type of guy in general so I agree it's really only been made worse since he wasn't used to the US and the language. That culture shock was very evident with Kaapo but not in a bad way like Kravtsov where he just seemed to reject conforming. Kakko has embraced being a NYR and I respect that.

His English is also much better now soI think he's the most comfortable he's ever been as an NHL player. I'm predicting 25+ goals from him this season and I think he can do it without even breaking a sweat.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Last night the most impressive thing that stood out to me wasnt the goal or overall play - which after one game is hard to tell - looks improved.

It was the physicality he showed and the response to when Mayfield (?) knocked him down shortly after Pitlicks goal, he went right back at him, no hesitation. Like you aint doing that to me bro. He's matured in that regard and that shows a confidence/swagger we havent seen a ton of.

A couple years ago he wouldve just skated away or hesitated to respond. This is all about confidence in your strength. He is turning into a beast out there

I've felt as the years have gone by we've seen a little bit more of that each year. He's adding a little fire into his game and that bullish mentality is what got him drafted at 2OA

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Thicco Sicko is gonna pop off this season as long has he gets the proper deployment. That means PP1 instead of old man Wheeler and no hands Trochek.

Hopefully these coaches aren’t slaves to the vets as much as the last 2 regimes were because I think he’s earned it by now.

His first 15 seconds playing with Fox he has a goal. This should have been happening for years. Lav is gonna look like a genius if he glues Laf and Kak to foxy.

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
So is it safe to say now that Kakko finally has a solid spot in the top 6? I do like the Kreids-Zib-Kakko line.

Of course the first 1-2 months in regular season players might get shuffled around, Lavi trying to fine-tune the optimal line combinations.

Maybe later on in the future the kid-line will be a thing again (kids not being kids anymore at that point, though).

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
  • Haha

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Had a 71.60 CF% in preseason, best on the team. 74.56 XGf%, 2nd best on the team. On the ice for 13 high danger chances, most among forwards.

For as bad as it looks for Laf, you should be excited for what this guy has shown. The new coach might be the best thing that has happened to him.

His goals during preseason were pure filth. 100% last season he mismanages that Kreider pass by overthinking it. Just let 'em rip kid.

Absolutely no reason he shouldn't be playing 20 mins per night with that sweet, sweet PP1 time.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Kakko will do enough to force this dinosaur coach to take minutes away from a less deserving older player. It's his time. This is the year we unearth all the bad takes. You all know who you are. History will not look at you fondly.

• Love

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
At this point, with the makeup of this team and the way the veterans are looking so pedestrian - there is absolutely NO reason that this franchise/GM/coaching staff shouldn't give Kakko full rein with top 3/6 minutes and PP time.

They should be investing in one of their only bright spots on this team.

A simple argument could be made that he was the best player in camp this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad