Prospect Info: Kaapo Kakko, RW, 1st round, 2nd overall, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Even when you see guys come up and look very impressive and you start to think "maybe they're the next Ovechkin!" it becomes obvious after a few seasons that they're not on his level. Stamkos, Laine...excellent players in their own right but not "the next Ovechkin"

And Crosby's combination of hockey IQ, all around skills, and work ethic have been completely unmatched throughout his career

Crosby and Ovechkin are 2 of the 10 best forwards to ever play in the NHL, and they both entered the league in 2005 and dominated from day 1 until now. There will never be another Crosby vs Ovechkin

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Crosby and Ovechkin are 2 of the 10 best forwards to ever play in the NHL, and they both entered the league in 2005 and dominated from day 1 until now. There will never be another Crosby vs Ovechkin

There might not be another "VS" but McJesus pretty much did what Ovi and Crosby did. He entered the league and took shit over. PPG player from day 1.

also that Kakko goal up there ... pure filth

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There might not be another "VS" but McJesus pretty much did what Ovi and Crosby did. He entered the league and took **** over. PPG player from day 1.

Agree. PPG rookie year followed by 3 straight 100-point seasons.

Reactions: Rongomania

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
There might not be another "VS" but McJesus pretty much did what Ovi and Crosby did. He entered the league and took **** over. PPG player from day 1.

Agree. And then you have some posters saying he is overrated or not the best player in the world.

If we ever get guy like McJesus from Finland, i will literally cry from happines

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Anyone catch the USA homer hand job that NHL Network gave Jack Hughes? Such a whiny little high school kid. Interesting to note the lack of interaction between him and Kakko (with Hughes quite literally ignoring Kakko and conversing with Dach). It's going to be a humbling start for the 147-lb Hughes. There will be Crosby treatment from Game 1.

I think that's exactly right. And listen, he IS a kid! - but at 17, I'd be more inclusive of who is around me - regardless of language.

Hughes just strikes me as a little privileged *****. Nothing out of the ordinary. Don't dislike him as I did Crosby.

and he's going to get wrecked next year.

The whininess, the level of presumption, anger and the joy you're expressing in anticipation of a 17/18 year old getting "the Crosby treatment" makes you come off like a ...well it's highly insulting to your maturity and intelligence. I seriously hope you're a high school kid at least.I don't like that these posts got so many likes from our fanbase. These kinds of posts are a little disturbing so it does not say much about HF NYR that's for sure.

Idk maybe I'm just too old and taking it too seriously but it is cringy as hell for me when I read this posted by anonymous strangers about a 17 year old/18 year old who hasn't done a single thing wrong yet. Plus in interviews he just sounds completely overwhelmed and shy

Last edited:

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
The whininess, the level of presumption, anger and the joy you're expressing in anticipation of a 17/18 year old getting "the Crosby treatment" makes you come off like a ...well it's highly insulting to your maturity and intelligence. I seriously hope you're a high school kid at least.I don't like that these posts got so many likes from our fanbase. These kinds of posts are a little disturbing so it does not say much about HF NYR that's for sure.

Idk maybe I'm just too old and taking it too seriously but it is cringy as hell for me when I read this posted by anonymous strangers about a 17 year old/18 year old who hasn't done a single thing wrong yet. Plus in interviews he just sounds completely overwhelmed and shy

PM me. Do not reply here with your opinion on my opinion.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

He chose a profession that's in the public eye. I'm sure he won't give away his #1 pick overall status nor the money that comes with it. He's not some random 17/18 year old.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
You can already see the mankid isn't too arrogant. So weird to see players like Kakko and Laine coming from Finland. Both know they are good and special and are pretty hard on themselves if they don't live up to expectations. Normal Finnish player is like Barkov :D
Our country's hockey program would be compared to USSR's if his work ethic was a norm for Finnish players. Panthers' coaches have actually had to tell him to take it easier, he has been seen regularly doing on ice drills well past midnight after losses. Laine prefers to practice his Fortnite skills instead...

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Our country's hockey program would be compared to USSR's if his work ethic was a norm for Finnish players. Panthers' coaches have actually had to tell him to take it easier, he has been seen regularly doing on ice drills well past midnight after losses. Laine prefers to practice his Fortnite skills instead...

Meeeh Laine playing Fortnite is getting really old. But some Finnish players are really beasts when it comes to training. Barkov and Ristolainen being craziest.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
So, just out of curiosity. What is his hockey IQ like? Probably a dumb question but I haven't heard much about it.

It’s very good. It’s not otherworldly like a Petterson, but it’s very good. He is very deft at using his hands and body language to present as a scoring threat and draw attention to himself, thus opening up lanes to thread passes to his teammates. He also has a good understanding of where to soft dump pucks and how to position his body so that he can retrieve it and use his cycle game.

Funnily enough, I think that’s the difference maker between a kid like Podkolzin and Kakko. Both are extremely engaged physically with good hands, motor and edge work, but Vasily does not know how to mask his intentions or create like Kaapo can (hence the incredible eye test, but lack of production)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So is he taking #24?
He wore 45 at the development camp roster, and he currently isn't under contract yet. Once they make his ELC official, I'm sure we'll have another introductory ceremony like they did today for Panarin.

The kid could use a break from the limelight to relax for a few weeks. He's had a pretty hectic schedule spanning the WC, draft, and development camp.

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad