Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So this is the product at 20 years old! Let me repeat that folks, at 20 years old!

The way his game developed, he'll get triple manned by the age of 23!

I repeat the kid is 20 years old!
I think the most important fact of Kakko is the fact that he went from being a liability on the ice last year, to be arguably the best defensive forward on the roster. In one off season. This kid knows his faults, and is willing to work on them.

He said in one recent interview that he knows his stats and production this year are a disappointment, but he knows he has improved as a player and the next thing is to focus on getting that scoring right.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I think the most important fact of Kakko is the fact that he went from being a liability on the ice last year, to be arguably the best defensive forward on the roster. In one off season. This kid knows his faults, and is willing to work on them.

He said in one recent interview that he knows his stats and production this year are a disappointment, but he knows he has improved as a player and the next thing is to focus on getting that scoring right.

It took him one season, to go from worst defensive player to a potential Selke candidate!

Pray to god he practices shooting this summer.

Apr 10, 2012
I hate to be a bit negative, but real bad defense also helped it out. But one of my favorite goals because it's our two top 2 picks.
Kakko habitually beats good defense. He's that good. I don't think Adam Foxx would've even stopped him there 100 out of 100 times there

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
What will be interesting to see is if Kakko is allowed to stay in the US and spend some time practicing with Kreider and the other kids up in Connecticut.

Last December, Kreider invited Barron, Robertson, Miller, Lafrenière, Rueschhoff and Khodorenko over to practice with him and Ben Prentiss and it would have been great for Kakko to spend some time with teammates as well but with the pandemic still raging, I expect him to go back to Finland assuming his temp permit doesn't carry over into the off season
I hope he stays in Connecticut, I'll be with Prentiss for a week while he has his NHL guys.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It took him one season, to go from worst defensive player to a potential Selke candidate!

Pray to god he practices shooting this summer.
i think a lot of us were on to something when we blamed much of his bad rookie season to being totally out of shape. He's not a fast skater but he's got some jump this season we didn't see at all last year.

Reactions: haveandare

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
i think a lot of us were on to something when we blamed much of his bad rookie season to being totally out of shape. He's not a fast skater but he's got some jump this season we didn't see at all last year.

I think he over trained. He looked heavy and slow and kinda burnt out from the start.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I hate to be a bit negative, but real bad defense also helped it out. But one of my favorite goals because it's our two top 2 picks.
I wouldn’t call it bad defense. The defender just missed the return pass to Kakko with his flailing stick. Kakko’s move at the end was really good though. I’d say it was a lot of luck. The defender was in position and made the play to blow up the pass, but missed from no fault of his own. It was a goal scorer’s play that worked out for us.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Yet another example that we need to be patient with young players.

If he can turn his offensive side like he did his defensive this year... This kid is going to become beast and nightmare to play against.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I think too a lot of it is just a mental shift. It wasn't just that he was slow skating last year, his decision making was slow and he stood around a lot not sure what to do. Even at the start of this year he was a bit slower on the ice, but then it clicked and he got going and he now hounds other players aggressively and is all over the ice. Then when he gets the puck he's making faster decisions.
Sometimes it's not just about physical traits but how fast a player is making decisions. Being unsure and second guessing and you'll always be a step slow. He's just a far far more confident player this year even if the scoring wasn't always coming easy.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
any updates on our boy kakko ? he mentionned a coupe stuff to work on during his exit interview like getting stronger which is fine but gosh for me the real thing is his speed, shot and shot while taking fast strides ! that's what I'd like to see notable improvements on, as i feel the rest will come by itself as production brings confidence and a more relaxed approach to the game.

Reactions: CasusBelli

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Hopefully Gallant can help him play more instinctually and confidently. To me the tools (even the shot) are there. He just needs to be more decisive, especially on the attack.

that one play late in the season where he facilitated a give and go with chytil high in the zone and then ripped a one timer off fox’s pass was everything I want to see from him.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
First you read an article that it's a make or break season for KK (which is laughable) but I fall into the majority of most comments that by the age of 22+- you will probably see a very good power forward maturing.

Reactions: NYRangers16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad