Jvr

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Realistically... if we can get ~15 goals out of Van Riemsdyk this year and 15+ assists, we should be pretty happy.

I doubt he'll ever be more than a high 20's guy in an 82 game season, his real value is the size he brings. The key for a guy like him, is being consistent physically and strong on the puck every night. If he does that, and Phil Kessel figures out how to put the puck in the net, the points will come.

9 goals in the next 38 games will be ok with you?

jakapono24

Oct 20, 2011
Toronto, ON
If we look at his raw tools there's reason to believe he's a legitimate 30 goal threat. Size, solid skating (balance, acceleration, and top speed), above average strength, above average shot, and plus hands. It's really crazy that his value sunk so low. Likely the best buy low by Burke (in terms of potential value gained). One could argue Lupul and gardiner was better, but JVR's star potential is very evident and that's what I consider more valuable. But, I do recognize that he might not use them effectively, but if he does...Oh my!

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Carlyle is teaching him what it takes to be a stud and its showing. I think he'll reach is ultimate potential here.

Noble Peasant

Feb 5, 2013
JVR is turning into the new superstar in TO. Kessel can step aside. JVR is perfect for the role. Young, fast, huge, soft hands, drives hard to the net, snipe of a shot, etc.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
The JVR trade may end up making the Kessel trade feeling less bitter, redeeming a little bit of Burke's legacy in Toronto.

I wish Schenn all the best in Philly, but JVR looks like a flat our superstar when he's on. With the right coaching, I have no doubt he can become this type of player consistently.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Trying to tame expectations, aside of consistency issues JVR does seem to have a long history of different sort of injuries (bad luck?) like Lupul....

Griffski

Jun 15, 2011
Salt Lake City
Trying to tame expectations, aside of consistency issues JVR does seem to have a long history of different sort of injuries (bad luck?) like Lupul....

I remember Burke talking about his injuries being flukie and unlucky. JVR has been super solid and hell get better too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JVR is turning into the new superstar in TO. Kessel can step aside. JVR is perfect for the role. Young, fast, huge, soft hands, drives hard to the net, snipe of a shot, etc.

JVR surpassing Kessel, with Kessel maintaining a high level of play would be a dream scenario for the simple fact that JVR has a more confident voice to him. I could see him handling the limelight better than Kessel and if he ever blossomed into that go-to guy, I think Phil would be more free to do his thing without the scrutiny.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The JVR trade may end up making the Kessel trade feeling less bitter, redeeming a little bit of Burke's legacy in Toronto.

I wish Schenn all the best in Philly, but JVR looks like a flat our superstar when he's on. With the right coaching, I have no doubt he can become this type of player consistently.

I'm so critical of Schenn but he's been looking fairly competent lost in the shuffle on a Philly team where he's just a defenseman and not a former-future-captain, franchise cornerstone human eraser.

Maybe it can be a victory for both teams and we'll have some nice playoff storylines in the future.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
He's on one of his streaks.

8 game streak with 6 goals. (1 of them was pure fluke)

I love JvR, I want him to be a core piece going forward. I do know though that he's a streaky guy, and this seems more like a streak than the normal.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
No where near the puck control, and ability to use the body to protect the puck. Also Sundin was almost impossible to knock off the puck, JVR is not that.

This, for his size he's poor at protecting the puck, and his puck control needs a lot of work, two things Sundin was as good as anyone at. Sundin also had a wide array of effective/accurate/hard shots, backhand, slapper, wrister... Jvr has a wrister, haven't seen anything else. For a 2nd overall pick I haven't been wowed by his overall skills. In the limited time I've seen him, his hard wrister and knack for being at right place at the right time seems to be his biggest assets.

Obviously I hope this is just a confidence thing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Inconsistent doesn't mean not scoring every game, it also does not mean have the odd bad game. If you went by that this year the whole team is inconsistent.

He has been better then expected and tends to work well with Grabs and Kules but not bad on the top line either.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Ideally when Lupul is healthy where does JVR play?

Leafs biggest problem is Bozak and Grabo. Grabo is good offensively but a terrible passer, he's really hard to play with. Bozak is easy to play with but not good enough offensively. So the Leafs wingers will have a hard time scoring consistently until that is addressed.

JVR is a good player, but not great. He's not as offensively talented as I'd hoped but a very good skater, drives the net well, ok shot - he's definitely a valuable top six forward and a nice Burke trade for Schenn.

The sooner they get Kadri on the top two lines, the better. JVR is a perfect winger for Kadri or Bozak but it's tough to fit him in, and maximize his strengths.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Dude is just on a hot streak, he had this in Philadelphia as well, and then he would go cold for stretches. Obviously I want to believe that his hot streak will continue into being consistant, but this is Leaf land, and any sort of success we try to tug on and drag for as long as we can.

Let's just hope he does turn out to be that #2 overall pick power forward that he was expected to be.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dude is just on a hot streak, he had this in Philadelphia as well, and then he would go cold for stretches. Obviously I want to believe that his hot streak will continue into being consistant, but this is Leaf land, and any sort of success we try to tug on and drag for as long as we can.

Let's just hope he does turn out to be that #2 overall pick power forward that he was expected to be.

He never got good ice time in Philly with the top players...

He was playing great last year before the blocked shot injury.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
JVR surpassing Kessel, with Kessel maintaining a high level of play would be a dream scenario for the simple fact that JVR has a more confident voice to him. I could see him handling the limelight better than Kessel and if he ever blossomed into that go-to guy, I think Phil would be more free to do his thing without the scrutiny.

Yep this.

If JvR can turn into a solid 60-70 point winger (with a couples years between 70-80) and a solid two way game, he will be an awesome core piece. Kind of like Loui Eriksson (maybe not the same playing style).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad