Sportsnet: JVR vs Pacioretty

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Pac has slightly better stats and JvR is a much flashier player, so I'm gonna go with JvR

TheThrill81*

- Both are 25 yrs old
- Max 319 games, JvR 324 games

I'll give JvR one more year on grounds that he could be a late bloomer. But besides that, seems pretty clear Pacioretty is the favourite.

JVR is winning the poll.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Pacioretty is a stronger finisher, JVR has a more complete game. I think Patches will be a 40 goal scorer while JVR will be a 70-point top liner. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind having both of them. :)

Tyler Biggs*

Trying to come at this as unbiasedly as I can, this is actually a great question. Both very effective players on very cap-friendly contracts. I'd still take JVR I think, but a solid comparison.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Max Pac had the 4th most goals in the NHL last season with 39. That is a mark Kessel has yet to achieve in his career and he is a sniper.

JVR goals and point totals are influenced by Kessel. If Pac and JVR switched teams Max points would go up and JVR go down.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
- Both are 25 yrs old
- Max 319 games, JvR 324 games

I'll give JvR one more year on grounds that he could be a late bloomer. But besides that, seems pretty clear Pacioretty is the favourite.

- Pacioretty turns 26 in November while JVR turned 25 in May.
- Max 213 points , JVR 192 points

It really is a lot closer than people may think

Max Pac had the 4th most goals in the NHL last season with 39. That is a mark Kessel has yet to achieve in his career and he is a sniper.

JVR goals and point totals are influenced by Kessel. If Pac and JVR switched teams Max points would go up and JVR go down.
Kessel has hit 70+ points 3 seasons in a row, that is a mark Max has yet to achieve in his career

TheThrill81*

If you think Kessel is merely a sniper, wouldn't Pacioretty's goal totals suffer playing on the same line as another sniper? Nevermind the fact that Kessel's playmaking skills are underrated, and your claim of JVR's goals and point totals being influenced by Kessel doesn't hold much weight. I guess Pacioretty's career high 39 goals in a season were influenced by Desharnais' playmaking and career high 36 assists in the same season.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Overall better player I'd say it's Patches by a little bit, however given the Leafs makeup I wouldn't trade JVR for Patches straight up.

JVR's style meshes with Kessel better and there's proven chemistry. I don't think a Kessel - Patches line would work anywhere near as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Max Pac had 39 goals in only 73 games and that is a 44 goal pace in 82 games. That would have put Pac as #2 in the NHL behind only OV at 51 goals based on playing a full season on pace.

That puts him ahead of JVR in goal production, and with less offensive linemates as well.

Lets not forget Pac overcame a horrendous early injury when Chara rode him into a fencepost causing a serious concussion.

Pac might be very fortunate that his NHL career wasn't over after that, so his recovery and performance now in respect makes it even more of an accomplishment.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I actually think JVR is a better all-around player while MaxPac is a better scorer. Who I would take on this team with Bozak as the center? JVR. With a real #1 center? MaxPac

Even with a #1C, I'll take JVR. He's a PFW and has magical hand in tight. He also gained a lot of explosiveness last season. I just don't see Max being able to do for Kessel what JVR does, regardless of who's centering them.

If we didn't have Kessel as our primary sniper, it'd be a different debate. I do believe most GMs value power forwards more than they do snipers of similar caliber because they're harder to find.

Thanks Burke for getting us this stud with a steal of a contract.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Minimum Pacioretty hides in the playoffs. JVR was a beast.
For this alone JVR ALL the way!!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I just don't see Max being able to do for Kessel what JVR does, regardless of who's centering them.

Kessel had 37 goals and 82 points in 2011-2012 season when paired with Lupul and Bozak.

Kessel had 37 goals and 80 points in 2013-14 season when paired with JVR and Bozak.

Kessel was the same with or without JVR.

JVR wouldn't be the same without Kessel. If Lupul and JVR switched lines JVR production would go down. Is Max Pac better than Lupul?

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
This is one of those cases where the fans of the team will pick their guy. Honestly, both teams have really good players at a bargain price. To be honest I think both teams have a bit more of what they need with the guy they have.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
JVR's playoff performances put him over the top for me. Otherwise it's close.

Yep. I was ecstatic to get JVR. I watch Philly pretty closely in the playoffs and that one year JVR was their man. Couldn't believe we got him for Schenn.

Then he did it again against Boston with his slow motion dives.

Wouldn't be sad with Patches - but a lot of love for JVR

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
I'm sure glad someone opened this thread up so Mess could derail it by turning it into a Pacioretty vs Kessel bash fest.

JvR is my choice. Especially on that sweetheart deal he has for another 4 seasons.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I'm sure glad someone opened this thread up so Mess could derail it by turning it into a Pacioretty vs Kessel bash fest.

JvR is my choice. Especially on that sweetheart deal he has for another 4 seasons.

Two amazing contract!!!!

JVR 4 more years at 4.25M
Patches 5 more years at 4.5M

Really like JVR but I'll keep Patches ;)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

umm max came in 4th with only 73 games played

gpg would have had him in 2nd?

but ya only in leaf land would we pick a guy with 10 less goal , 15 less points a +/- differential on like 17 and and has the advantage of riding shorgun with kessel.:shakehead

man this fan base I tell ya:amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad