Value of: JVR + Gardiner as a package

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not one but two players the team says are not available to make a trade that ignores our rebuild philosophy. Well done!

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
JVR + Gardiner, and you're asking for a #2-3 D-man?

You should be looking for WAY MORE.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think team's interested in Gardiner might not be interested in JVR, or vice versa.

I like a base of Gardiner++ and JVR++ used as bait to fill that hole. The ++ being some combination of picks/prospects of which the Leafs have in spades.

For instance, with Trouba, the Jets wouldn't need JVR, but might be okay with a Gardiner/pick/prospect package. The Ducks with Lindholm might like a JVR, but don't really need another dman. A JVR/pick/prospect deal works best.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs would looking for a no brainer #1 dman with this kinda package.
Otherwise we keep our top line LW and #3Dman

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Pens get: JVR, Gardiner
Leafs get: Trouba, Sprong, Pitt 2nd
Jets get: Maatta

I wouldn't do JVR and Gardiner for Maatta. Heck I'd probably be hesitant to do JVR or Gardiner for Maatta. I imagine the jets aren't in a hurry to deal Maatta for Trouba.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pens get: JVR, Gardiner
Leafs get: Trouba, Sprong, Pitt 2nd
Jets get: Maatta

That would be a lot to give up for Trouba, What makes you think that Trouba would commit long term to Toronto at best you would've him for about 4 years or so the rest of his RFA years. Doubt that JR surrenders Maatta without Trouba coming the other way i would rather have Maatta then Gardiner personally.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
That would be a lot to give up for Trouba, What makes you think that Trouba would commit long term to Toronto at best you would've him for about 4 years or so the rest of his RFA years. Doubt that JR surrenders Maatta without Trouba coming the other way i would rather have Maatta then Gardiner personally.

You quoted the deal and then your post proceeds to not really address the deal at all. TOR isn't giving that stuff up for "just Trouba" and JR not surrendering Maatta for Trouba is irrelevant and not in that deal. And I'd rather have Maatta than Gardiner too but that's not what that deal says either. Pens would also upgrade at wing with JvR. Not really sure what your point was

I mean, if you want to just say Pens are better off just doing Maatta for Trouba straight up, that I would agree with probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad