Proposal: JVR for John Carlson

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Carlson and JVR do not have the same value. On top of that I imagine Washington wants to re-sign him as well.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Forget the OP, what's the status on Madison Bowey? Is he expected to step in this year? He's someone who may be attainable and a good fit, but I'm basing this on information from 3 years ago.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Forget the OP, what's the status on Madison Bowey? Is he expected to step in this year? He's someone who may be attainable and a good fit, but I'm basing this on information from 3 years ago.

Not really. He's struggling with shots, I heard.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Not really. He's struggling with shots, I heard.

Bowey was playing well in Hershey last year prior to suffering a freak injury. He's definitely going to get a shot this year. Not only are there spots open for this year's team, but Carlson is due a hefty raise once his contract expires this year and brass will no doubt want to see what the blueline would look like if they don't want to give him what he's looking for.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Actually the value isn't too bad as trade, though I think Carlsson is more valuable.

But like so many trades, on a trading site, it doesn't look at the needs of the team. The Leafs have lots of forwards and could lose JVR and would welcome Carlsson.

But the Caps have lots of forwards too and can't lose a valuable Dman like Carlsson. So why even make this proposal?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This makes more sense if they had lost Oshie to FA, but with him in the mix he is the 3rd best winger instead of the 2nd, and not sure how much better than Burakovsky he will be in a few years (id say Bura is equal to him production wise in 3/4 years)

Currently, JVR would be 2nd line LW, playing with Backstrom/Kuznetsov (I like Backstrom and Ovie together) and Oshie/Vrana (if Vrana shows his worth in training camp, bumping Oshie to top line and Wilson to 3rd)

----

Saying this, maybe something around:

JVR signed for the next 4 years (signed to a 3 year extension deal around the same as Oshie 5.5+-)

Leivo/Rychel- cheap guys who can play depth wing, Leivo had some great stats last year but couldn't bump anyone out of the top 6

for Carlson?

----

A deal like this would have made more sense to happen before losing D men, so they could have just re signed one of the guys they lost.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This makes more sense if they had lost Oshie to FA, but with him in the mix he is the 3rd best winger instead of the 2nd, and not sure how much better than Burakovsky he will be in a few years (id say Bura is equal to him production wise in 3/4 years)

Currently, JVR would be 2nd line LW, playing with Backstrom/Kuznetsov (I like Backstrom and Ovie together) and Oshie/Vrana (if Vrana shows his worth in training camp, bumping Oshie to top line and Wilson to 3rd)

----

Saying this, maybe something around:

JVR signed for the next 4 years (signed to a 3 year extension deal around the same as Oshie 5.5+-)

Leivo/Rychel- cheap guys who can play depth wing, Leivo had some great stats last year but couldn't bump anyone out of the top 6

for Carlson?

----

A deal like this would have made more sense to happen before losing D men, so they could have just re signed one of the guys they lost.

Put it this way.

I would rather have Johansson than JvR. Without a much of an doubt. Now, if i wanted to create cap space, would i trade Carlson for 2nd, 3rd and young 4th liner.

You are way off here.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Put it this way.

I would rather have Johansson than JvR. Without a much of an doubt. Now, if i wanted to create cap space, would i trade Carlson for 2nd, 3rd and young 4th liner.

You are way off here.

you would rather have a guy who has only hit 50+ pts once and never hit 25G or 60pts+ over the guy that has a pair of 60pt seasons and another 57pt one as well as 27,29,30g seasons?

:laugh:

lets see how he does when his stats arent inflated by being on the caps. my guess is 20g/40-45pts from here on out
thats pretty silly.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
you would rather have a guy who has only hit 50+ pts once and never hit 25G or 60pts+ over the guy that has a pair of 60pt seasons and another 57pt one as well as 27,29,30g seasons?

lets see how he does when his stats arent inflated by being on the caps. my guess is 20g/40-45pts from here on out
thats pretty silly.

This is a porous argument. He's also hiding behind tons of players on the depth chart and barely touches the puck on this offense.

There's no guarantee his points will decline. It's happened hundreds of times before in the NHL and that's why this perception of "better team = better stats" is POROUS.

It's based on nothing.

More opportunities = more points just the same way. A ton of players have inflated points when they're on a bad team because the puck goes through them way more often.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
This is a porous argument. He's also hiding behind tons of players on the depth chart and barely touches the puck on this offense.

There's no guarantee his points will decline. It's happened hundreds of times before in the NHL and that's why this perception of "better team = better stats" is POROUS.

It's based on nothing.

More opportunities = more points just the same way. A ton of players have inflated points when they're on a bad team because the puck goes through them way more often.

I'll bookmark this for when he gets less points next year. id be shocked if he got 50. Hall had 52 and he is way better

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

thats pretty silly.

Yes.

Johansson scored nearly the same amount of points, is twice the player defensively, 2 years younger and on top of all that he has a better contract with extra year in there.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Bowey was playing well in Hershey last year prior to suffering a freak injury. He's definitely going to get a shot this year. Not only are there spots open for this year's team, but Carlson is due a hefty raise once his contract expires this year and brass will no doubt want to see what the blueline would look like if they don't want to give him what he's looking for.

What sort of return would make sense for the Caps to consider moving him?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Would love Carlson but the ship has sailed on trying to get him now that WAS has lost most of their D corp from last season. I would say he was attainable last season even prior to the Shattenkirk deal when I saw Niskanen and Orlov eating up more and more of his minutes.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What sort of return would make sense for the Caps to consider moving him?

I really don't know and to be honest, I'm not sure there is anything that makes sense at this point. The Caps have holes on the blueline and he's pretty easily the best RD prospect they have. They're also close to the salary cap, so if he plays well then he fills a big hole at 3RD this year and potentially 2RD moving forward (should the Caps move on from Carlson), and he does so on a very team-friendly contract for a few years. If he busts, he doesn't really hold any value. Given the Caps organizational needs (defense and center prospects), I don't really see an offer that would make sense for both teams in order for the Caps to move Bowey.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I really don't know and to be honest, I'm not sure there is anything that makes sense at this point. The Caps have holes on the blueline and he's pretty easily the best RD prospect they have. They're also close to the salary cap, so if he plays well then he fills a big hole at 3RD this year and potentially 2RD moving forward (should the Caps move on from Carlson), and he does so on a very team-friendly contract for a few years. If he busts, he doesn't really hold any value. Given the Caps organizational needs (defense and center prospects), I don't really see an offer that would make sense for both teams in order for the Caps to move Bowey.

Fair enough, appreciate the feedback. I've always liked Bowey's upside and was kind of surprised he wasn't a bigger player by now... Hopefully, for his sake, he makes good on the opportunity this year and the injury hasn't effected his skating.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
This would be Washington:

Trading Carlson would be the equivalent of them skipping leg day.

Edit: Pic was way too large... But you get the idea.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm independent here....this is utterly stupid.

Washington just saw 2 of its top 4 walk as UFA, another get selected by Vegas, and now trade another for a winger???

Do you have a clue of the team you are trying to trade with?

well Alzner and Shattenkirk were more like third pairing guys. But your point is correct.

d99gr81

Dec 30, 2006
Never going to happen. The Caps are currently short 2 d men for the roster as it is... no way they trade him ... especially for a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad