JVR Discussion/Appreciation

pSoup

Jul 27, 2010
Game after game I am amazed at this guys skill set and the calmness in his game. When we first traded for him I never thought he'd be playing along side Kessel, but damn I'm glad he is.

He's on pace for 70 points this seasons and it'd be great if he consistently was a 60-70 point guy. The thing that gets me the most excited is that he's only 24, and we have at 4.25 a season until 2018. Not to mention the stupid chemistry between him and Kessel

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
He has been fantastic since he got here! I can't believe we got him for Schenn! Awesome trade that we definitely won. I don't think many people would be complaining if we were paying him 6.5+. a bargain for sure at just 4.25.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
He's come such a long way since we first acquired him. A very complete and talented player, great along the boards and around the net in tight, some great mitts, good shot, excellent skater for his size, solid defensively, good playmaking ability as well, and when the games are big he really steps it up.

The best part is that he's showing consistency in his game now, he looks like a threat almost every game, and I think a lot of that is his improvement in skating and overall hustle.

So glad to have him on this team, and despite what the polls section thinks, JVR > Pacioretty all day. By the end of the season there will be no debate imo.

Also thank you Barb Underhill, her work has been unbelievable with some of our players.

pSoup

Jul 27, 2010
He has been fantastic since he got here! I can't believe we got him for Schenn! Awesome trade that we definitely won. I don't think many people would be complaining if we were paying him 6.5+. a bargain for sure at just 4.25.

Especially considering what 4.25 will look like as the cap goes up....

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
He was a steal and is on a fantastic contract, if his play keeps up he'll be getting a decent pay day in 4 years time.

Not that we're very close at the moment, but I think this team's Cup window expires when JVR's contract does. He's one of our only guys who's at a huge discount and frees us up some cap space while being one of our best players.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
JvR is a part of the Leafs core. He's irreplaceable. You see threads on the trade board proposing Nash for JvR but Nash simply isn't the type of player JvR is and wouldn't add any different element to our club. JvR is way too important to us. We were missing a guy like him greatly during the Wilson era (among other things).

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
A first line of JVR-kadri-Kessel is pretty sexy...we got our 1st line LW and our first line RW and kadri is our best center (bolland was good too before he got hurt) so yeah!

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
jvr is the best, most complete player that this team has. Kessel might be the most skilled, but in my opinion, jvr is the best player on this team, he is simply elite. His skating, passing, net presence, defensive game, iq, and of course his compete are all 1st class and he just takes over games. Kessel is very important to his success as well, as jvr needs a strong finisher with him to rack up the points. He is simply deadly in front of the net and on 2 on 1's, hes just a beast

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm starting to feel that JVR is our best player in terms of overall ability. Phaneuf might be more important and Kessel has more impact with his gamebreaking talent, but with JVR's new-found consistency he is just a complete player.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He has brought everything I thought he would and more.

JVR, Kessel, Kadri are a Pretty good offensive core.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
rc did a great job with him, getting him to drive to and sit in front of the net. before he was more perimeter player, shooting outside/slot and cycling.

he's the best power forward that i think i've seen play for the leafs for decades.

we got roberts and owen nolan outside of their prime, so no one else comes to mind that impresses me as much.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
He isn't the best player inn the league at any one thing but of the many things he does, he does them all very well. Most complete player in the lineup. The list of players I would rather see on this team in his place is very short and most if not all of them would command quite a lot more money than he currently makes. I can't think of anyone in the league that does what he does, as well as he does, for as little as he makes.

pSoup

Jul 27, 2010
I'm starting to feel that JVR is our best player in terms of overall ability. Phaneuf might be more important and Kessel has more impact with his gamebreaking talent, but with JVR's new-found consistency he is just a complete player.

I'd have to agree. Especially with his improved skating. He is a rare blend of top end talent, and intimidating size. He can score a pure skill goal off the rush, or bang a dirty rebound in while crowding the front of the net. He also has a stupid hands, he can finesse the puck while falling down as well as his ability to put the puck is impossible places, it's just amazing.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
He isn't the best player inn the league at any one thing but of the many things he does, he does them all very well. Most complete player in the lineup. The list of players I would rather see on this team in his place is very short and most if not all of them would command quite a lot more money than he currently makes. I can't think of anyone in the league that does what he does, as well as he does, for as little as he makes.

id say hes the best net front player in the league, pretty confident with that statement... the guy is money from within 10 feet or so, has so many moves

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
His hands are unbelievable, funny how some clueless fans thought Clarkson was better in front of the net. LOL

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I don't think any of us could possibly say enough good things about JVR. He's been dynamite.

We are SORTED on the wings, and pretty desperate for a top-flight Centre.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Guy's pure money. He's on pace to improve on his best season by more than 30(!) points this year.

I agree, can't say enough good things about him.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
He has really elevated his game. Or Kessel helped him elevate his game. I am not really sure which is which.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
One of the best net presences in the league, also insane hands in tight.

Rare combination of speed and size, very pleased with him since he's been a Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad