JVR - Are we over him yet?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Although he has not been the worst Leaf this season, he certainly has not been this two way big guy popping in goals that we were led to believe in the off season.
In fact, to my eyes he still looks very disinterested most of the time. Is his value beginning to drop?

Are we over JVR yet?

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Although he has not been the worst Leaf this season, he certainly has not been this two way big guy popping in goals that we were promised in the off season.
In fact, to my eyes he still looks very disinterested most of the time. Is his value beginning to drop?

Are we over JVR yet?

Promised in the off season? Did I miss something? Who promised that?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I'd move him, already said that many times. We know what we've got in him, and his game hasn't grown all that much in his time here/last few seasons. He still does that ridiculous through the legs move that never works.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I've been arguing for moving him since the start, but at least he has looked better this season than I was worried that he might. He's helped that line create a lot of chances.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, unfortunately JvR isn't that good, sucks to see a 2nd overall pick be so disappointing. I think he was just another product of playing with Kessel like Bozak was.

He has good hands in front of the net and that's pretty much it.

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
Doesn't use his size well, is timid, and has a low hockey IQ.

Has looked decent at times this year forming a nice first unit with Naz and Leo.

Ultimately, I don't believe he is the type of player we are looking for long term.

JVR would likely find more personal success a high-powered offense as a second line winger.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's been pretty good to me so far this season. Probably our only big threat upfront with Kadri.

Not sure why you guys are all disappointed in his play...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
He's been playing pretty well this season. Only reason he doesn't have more points is because Kadri is badly snakebitten.

Unless you get your socks blown off, you keep big forwards with speed and skill.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
JVR has a lot of value and his contract is a big part of that. That is why we should move him. His great contract aint important to us anyway.
Got to be lots of team out there who gladly adds a big, talented top six winger like him to their team with a cap hit of only $4.25m. With him you always have that feeling that IF he breaks out he will become dominant. A bit like Nash. Teams are prepared to pay for that especially since they get a very capable player even if he does not live up to his true potential.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If he stays I'm fine with it but if he's traded (as long as it is reasonable) I won't lose sleep. It would be nice if he used his size more while his defensive play is pretty bad.

Like someone else mentioned, a lot of his value comes from his contract, which at this point would be more valuable to a contending team. So if someone comes knocking with good value in return, it has to be looked at.

It would feel easier to deal him if we had a Ritchie in our system, but at the same time, if he has size but doesn't use it, is he a big player? (The tree falling in a forest with no one to hear it analogy).

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
He's been pretty good to me so far this season. Probably our only big threat upfront with Kadri.

Not sure why you guys are all disappointed in his play...

Because he isn't producing as he should be. Just because he's the sharpest of all of the butter knives doesn't mean we should say he's sharp.. Ya know? His contract has value, let's get assets for it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Like I've said.

I would trade him before his NTC kicks in. I'd move him for a (because it matters) Right Hand defenseman - or something that would allow us to make a better trade. (or some picks + a prospect).

his main draw is his contract. nothing more, nothing less. he's not consistent enough with his size (or his skating) to deploy it and while he's decent..I think he could benefit somewhere else, and we move on.

don't see the point in keeping him.

[and to make everyone else happy. same for Dion, Lupul, Bozak].

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Because he isn't producing as he should be. Just because he's the sharpest of all of the butter knives doesn't mean we should say he's sharp.. Ya know? His contract has value, let's get assets for it.

I understand that but a lot of people are down on his play but I think he's been one of our better forwards along with Kadri. 6 points in 12 games so far isn't bad, especially when you consider that Kadri, and the Leafs in general, have been snake bitten and/or lack a lot of skill all around.

I'm all for trading him for the right return but I just don't understand how anyone can say he's been bad or whatever.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
He's consistently inconsistent. He was flying last night against the Jets: always seemed to be generating chances when he was on the ice. Contrast last night's performance with Monday's performance against the Stars. I had missed the pre-game thread so I didn't know the starting lineup & I had gotten home just as the game started. About halfway through the 2nd period I said "Haven't seen JVR tonight. He must have gotten injured?" Sure enough, there he was with about 5 minutes left in the 2nd. He was invisible.

This is JVR in a nutshell.

EDIT: FYI, JVR is one of my favorite Leafs.

Last edited:

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I'm a big fan of Jimmy Hands, but last night he seemed like he was going about 75%. I'd love to drop Stringer Bell's 40 degree day quote in here to describe JvR's work ethic, but it'd mostly asteriskes. But that's mostly what we're getting from van Dreamsdyke, 40 degree (f) days.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I'd have zero problem moving both JVR and Kadri for 1st round picks and prospects at the deadline. Both would be attractive to contenders looking for depth.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think he's actually been really good so far this season.
Not many players can drive the net and cut in like him and he has really rare hands in close quarters.
Plus, he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do. Go to the net and make life difficult for the goalies.
I don't get why threads like this and the Kadri one (main board) pop up.
News flash. We don't score goals.
And JVR is a top-end complimentary player and I don't mean that in a bad way. If you combine his skillset with a skilled puck carrier, it creates a lot of problems for the defense/goalie but unfortunately we don't have that puck carrier any more.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
He's a good player, but how good will he be in 3-4 years when we're (hopefully) gonna be contending with the likes of Nylander, Marner, etc.?

Sell hi on guys like JVR and Kadri.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He's a good player, but how good will he be in 3-4 years when we're (hopefully) gonna be contending with the likes of Nylander, Marner, etc.?

Sell hi on guys like JVR and Kadri.

I agree we should trade him because we don't currently have a player that compliments him, I was just illustrating how he hasn't been playing bad and what we can expect from him.

Maybe they're waiting to see what happens with Stammer...:sarcasm:

:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad