26. Jack McBain
27. Caleb Addison
28. Evan Bouchard
29. Filip Hallander
30. Grigori Denisenko
31. Ty Dellandrea

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Akil Thomas is just outside my top 31. I had him on my August list in another thread. Needs to show he can play a two-way game.

Hughes looks to be a complete player and I see flaws with Dahlin (hockey iq) and Svechnikov (defensive play). Any of these 3 could end up #1 and it's close. With this much skill, physical development is less of a factor for me which Dahlin and Svechnikov definitely have a leg up on. I project Hughes to be a player in the model of Oliver Ekman-Larsson but even better. He has looked more impressive to me in the little we've seen in recent months. I didn't have him far behind before that.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
There's bunch of essentially 1st round locks that aren't here.

Ryan Merkley is basically a Top 10 lock.

Anderson MacDonald, Akil Thomas, Jake Wise, Benoit Olivier Groulx, Ryan McLeod.

Also Dahlin has "hockey IQ" issues but Hughes isn't still a really weak defender? Like Zadina, Hughes had potential to join Svech and Dahlin by the end of the year but he isn't close yet.

Quinn Hughes and Ryan Merkley are comparable in terms of talent level right now.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
you have ryan merkley sliding into rd 2?
55pts as a 16 year old dman...

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
you have ryan merkley sliding into rd 2?
55pts as a 16 year old dman...

He is #23 on my list. Right now he's a total liability defensively. If he can fix that he has tremendous potential.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
How so? Both Hughes and Merkley are pretty bad defensively. They both make mistakes on and off the puck quite often.

Hughes mistakes happen more when he's trying to make a play, they aren't really IQ mistakes but more adjusting to the position. He was a forward until age 13. Offensively I think he and Dahlin have a leg up on Boqvist and Merkley.

Merkley has issues with defensive positioning and using his body. I think Hughes makes more mistakes on the puck while Merkley makes mistakes all around. He also has great vision and can get the puck to the net as well as any defenseman in the draft.

Drew Doughty led the NHL in giveaways two years ago. I think Hughes could be a similar player defensively and even more dangerous offensively. Merkley reminds me of someone like Shayne Gostisbehere. I think Merkley will be a great prospect. Rankinghim 23rd is just a show of how great the rest of this draft is.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Hughes mistakes happen more when he's trying to make a play, they aren't really IQ mistakes but more adjusting to the position. He was a forward until age 13. Offensively I think he and Dahlin have a leg up on Boqvist and Merkley.

Merkley has issues with defensive positioning and using his body. I think Hughes makes more mistakes on the puck while Merkley makes mistakes all around. He also has great vision and can get the puck to the net as well as any defenseman in the draft.

Drew Doughty led the NHL in giveaways two years ago. I think Hughes could be a similar player defensively and even more dangerous offensively. Merkley reminds me of someone like Shayne Gostisbehere. I think Merkley will be a great prospect. Rankinghim 23rd is just a show of how great the rest of this draft is.

Not really. He's essentially a top 15 lock, most likely top 10. Hughes will never come close to Doughty defensively, he just isn't the same player.

Also I'd like your reasoning on how Dahlin is worse than Hughes. Dahlin is superior in both offense and defense right now.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Not really. He's essentially a top 15 lock, most likely top 10. Hughes will never come close to Doughty defensively, he just isn't the same player.

Also I'd like your reasoning on how Dahlin is worse than Hughes. Dahlin is superior in both offense and defense right now.

You're entitled to your own opinions!

Dahlin could very well be the top pick and I understand the reason he's a consensus favorite. The combination of his frame, speed, and skills is scary. I think Hughes thinks the game better than Dahlin does right now. Both showed the potential to take over games. Hughes has just shown that more consistently. He's one of the most creative players I've watched.

Having said this, it's close for me. Dahlin and Svechnikov will both be superstars and either could be a clear cut #1 with a great predraft year.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
You're entitled to your own opinions!

Dahlin could very well be the top pick and I understand the reason he's a consensus favorite. The combination of his frame, speed, and skills is scary. I think Hughes thinks the game better than Dahlin does right now. Both showed the potential to take over games. Hughes has just shown that more consistently. He's one of the most creative players I've watched.

Having said this, it's close for me. Dahlin and Svechnikov will both be superstars and either could be a clear cut #1 with a great predraft year.

If they are the "superstars" then why would any team take Hughes #1. Hughes barely cracks Top 5 right now.

Reactions: QJL

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I mean that's fine that it's your opinion but the top 2 shouldn't be different or close right now.

And I'm aware the majority of the hockey community disagrees with me. The argument and banter is always appreciated, feel free to keep it coming all year.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Really surprised to not see Anderson MacDonald in your first round. If that's the case there is going to be a very happy team come draft day... Almost as happy as the team that gets Merkely 23rd!

Although the jury is still a little out for me in terms of where he falls, Groulx is definitely a first rounder.

Really love seeing everyone's lists this time of year though, makes for some great conversations.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
The rank of Hughes at #1 goes against pretty much every professional scouts ranking of Dahlen 1st. But I get he's a personal favorite of yours. Mine is Brady Tkachuk but I can't rank him #1.

Reactions: QJL

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
October Top 31

1. Quinton Hughes
2. Rasmus Dahlin
3. Filip Zadina
4. Andrei Svechnikov
5. Joseph Veleno
6. Adam Boqvist
7. Brady Tkachuk
8. Bode Wilde
9. Ty Smith
10. Oliver Wahlstrom
11. Jesper Kotkaniemi
12. Rasmus Kupari
13. Isac Lundestrom
14. Jared McIsaac
15. Joel Farabee
16. Milos Roman
17. Alexander Khovanov
18. Jett Woo
19. Jacob Olofsson
20. Ryan Merkley
21. Jakub Skarek
22. Filip Hallander
23. Jack McBain
24. Jonatan Berggren
25. Dmitry Zadgorovniy
26. Nando Eggenberger
27. Barrett Hayton
28. Allan McShane
29. Evan Bouchard
30. Akil Thomas
31. Xavier Bouchard

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The guy leading OHL in goals and points as a rookie slides down the list even more.

Ok, bud.

Meanwhile an above average player ranked on top.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
The guy leading OHL in goals and points as a rookie slides down the list even more.

Ok, bud.

Meanwhile an above average player ranked on top.
Most people don’t really watch or know much on here. They just kinda move prospects around or choose based of of catchy names and public opinion, it’s quite sad really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad