NHL Entry Draft: JVF Once-A-Month 2018 Draft Rankings

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The guy leading OHL in goals and points as a rookie slides down the list even more.

Ok, bud.

Svech's run came after my rankings were posted. He was 3+2 through 5 games. He's moving back up.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
November Top 31

(Previous rank in parentheses)

1. Rasmus Dahlin (2)
2. Quinton Hughes (1)
3. Filip Zadina (3)
4. Andrei Svechnikov (4)
5. Adam Boqvist (6)
6. Ty Smith (9)
7. Bode Wilde (8)
8. Oliver Wahlstrom (10)
9. Joseph Veleno (5)
10. Brady Tkachuk (7)
11. Jesper Kotkaniemi (11)
12. Isac Lundestrom (13)
13. Joel Farabee (15)
14. Jared McIsaac (14)
15. Jacob Olofsson (19)
16. Alexander Khovanov (17)
17. Rasmus Kupari (12)
18. Jack McBain (23)
19. Jett Woo (18)
20. Akil Thomas (30)
21. Ryan Merkley (20)
22. Evan Bouchard (29)
23. Filip Hallander (22)
24. Jakub Skarek (21)
25. Milos Roman (16)
26. Anderson MacDonald (NR)
27. Dmitry Zadgorovniy (25)
28. Dominik Bokk (NR)
29. Benoit Olivier-Groulx (NR)
30. Jonatan Berggren (24)
31. Phillip Kurashev (NR)

I will start ranking the top 62 in January

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
November Top 31

(Previous rank in parentheses)

1. Rasmus Dahlin (2)
2. Quinton Hughes (1)
3. Filip Zadina (3)
4. Andrei Svechnikov (4)
5. Adam Boqvist (6)
6. Ty Smith (9)
7. Bode Wilde (8)
8. Oliver Wahlstrom (10)
9. Joseph Veleno (5)
10. Brady Tkachuk (7)
11. Jesper Kotkaniemi (11)
12. Isac Lundestrom (13)
13. Joel Farabee (15)
14. Jared McIsaac (14)
15. Jacob Olofsson (19)
16. Alexander Khovanov (17)
17. Rasmus Kupari (12)
18. Jack McBain (23)
19. Jett Woo (18)
20. Akil Thomas (30)
21. Ryan Merkley (20)
22. Evan Bouchard (29)
23. Filip Hallander (22)
24. Jakub Skarek (21)
25. Milos Roman (16)
26. Anderson MacDonald (NR)
27. Dmitry Zadgorovniy (25)
28. Dominik Bokk (NR)
29. Benoit Olivier-Groulx (NR)
30. Jonatan Berggren (24)
31. Phillip Kurashev (NR)

I will start ranking the top 62 in January
The king has been dethroned!!
I’m probably one of the biggest Zadina followers you can find on this board, but he’s not better than Svechnikov, at least for a while. What is your reasoning on some of these? Like Bokk over Groulx? Roman over McLeod? (Who isn’t even on the list for some reason) Lundestrom and Olofsson over Kupari, McBain, and Thomas?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The king has been dethroned!!
I’m probably one of the biggest Zadina followers you can find on this board, but he’s not better than Svechnikov, at least for a while. What is your reasoning on some of these? Like Bokk over Groulx? Roman over McLeod? (Who isn’t even on the list for some reason) Lundestrom and Olofsson over Kupari, McBain, and Thomas?

A lot to address!

I'll start from the bottom...

Lundestrom are Olofsson are two-way forwards, and you'll see me value that more than most on these boards. Both are putting up better numbers than Kupari and McBain and are playing in stronger leagues.

Kupari was keeping pace but has fallen off a bit in the past two weeks, hence the drop in the rankings. He may have higher upside than both, but I'd rather take safe top 6ers than a boom or bust.

I have not watched as much of McBain and it's harder to judge his play against OJHL competition. My placement for him should be pretty steady based on what I've seen. I need to watch more of him.

Akil Thomas was one of my big risers on this month's list. He's had great production on a bad team, but he needs to get better outside of the offensive zone.

Ryan McCleod reminds me of Andreas Athanasiou, as does his brother. They score goals with their legs, not with their puck skills and IQ. That maxes out as a third-line role player in today's NHL. I see more skill in Roman's game to go along with his speed.

Bokk has been more impressive than Groulx to start the year. He's showing that his numbers last year weren't a fluke.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
A lot to address!

I'll start from the bottom...

Lundestrom are Olofsson are two-way forwards, and you'll see me value that more than most on these boards. Both are putting up better numbers than Kupari and McBain and are playing in stronger leagues.

Kupari was keeping pace but has fallen off a bit in the past two weeks, hence the drop in the rankings. He may have higher upside than both, but I'd rather take safe top 6ers than a boom or bust.

I have not watched as much of McBain and it's harder to judge his play against OJHL competition. My placement for him should be pretty steady based on what I've seen. I need to watch more of him.

Akil Thomas was one of my big risers on this month's list. He's had great production on a bad team, but he needs to get better outside of the offensive zone.

Ryan McCleod reminds me of Andreas Athanasiou, as does his brother. They score goals with their legs, not with their puck skills and IQ. That maxes out as a third-line role player in today's NHL. I see more skill in Roman's game to go along with his speed.

Bokk has been more impressive than Groulx to start the year. He's showing that his numbers last year weren't a fluke.

Kupari is playing in the Liiga, so the weak league argument isn’t true. If you’ve watched, he’s just starting to get his footing in a league with adults and fully grown men as a teen who still needs to fill out. McBain has had a slightly slow start, but he’s doing the right things, which you can see by looking at box scores and point totals. Lundestrom is playing in the SHL, but playing way more minutes and getting more opportunities than Kupari, only barely outscoring him. Kupari’s scoring will race up as he gains traction on the Liiga. Olofsson isn’t even playing in the top Swedish division, he’s playing in the 2nd division of Swedish hockey with not even super impressive numbers. Again, Akil Thomas is well over PPG in the OHL, and improving defensively with his positioning and backchecking. Some of these guys just need some good coaching to change habits and they’re gone. I will bet you some good money that neither Olofsson or Lundestrom will become “safe good top 6ers in their careers” because they aren’t 1st rounders.

I really disagree on the McLeod point, he’s a great skater, but he’s more than just a skater, he’s a great playmaker. He has fantastic vision and great passing ability. He uses his size well to control the middle of the ice when he plays. He doesn’t have the first line potential but he can cap out at a 1B/ 2A 2nd line center with the right growth and development. His skating is a big plus to the open eye, but dissecting his game, his passing skill is really strong. You pointed out how the McLeod brothers “only score goals with their legs”. That’s not really true at all. The McLeod brothers don’t really score many goals, they create them. The use their speed and size to get in open pockets and pick out passes for their teammates.

I live around the Vancouver area, and I go to a lot of Vancouver Giants games. Milos Roman is one of my favourite draftees available. I love his package he brings to any line he plays on, but he isn’t a 1st round pick. He could close in on being one with a crazy year, but he’s not really done much to make a statement yet. He’s more of a mid/late 2nd rounder waiting to make a statement, waiting to push through.

So you use the stronger leagues arguement, but Bokk has been playing in the SuperElit against 16 year olds - 20 year olds, so I don’t see the big challenge there. You can’t compare that to Groulx in one of the toughest junior leagues in the world who’s almost going PPG after 18 games. Bokk is around the 2nd/3rd round right now if I’m being honest. Groulx is one of the best two way players in the league.

I do like that you finally admitted defeat to your Quinton Hughes over Rasmus Dahlin Chirade, that was a classic.

There’s quite a lot more, and I didn’t bother commenting on a lot of missing players in the final 10 that are pretty glaring.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Kupari is playing in the Liiga, so the weak league argument isn’t true. If you’ve watched, he’s just starting to get his footing in a league with adults and fully grown men as a teen who still needs to fill out. McBain has had a slightly slow start, but he’s doing the right things, which you can see by looking at box scores and point totals. Lundestrom is playing in the SHL, but playing way more minutes and getting more opportunities than Kupari, only barely outscoring him. Kupari’s scoring will race up as he gains traction on the Liiga. Olofsson isn’t even playing in the top Swedish division, he’s playing in the 2nd division of Swedish hockey with not even super impressive numbers. Again, Akil Thomas is well over PPG in the OHL, and improving defensively with his positioning and backchecking. Some of these guys just need some good coaching to change habits and they’re gone. I will bet you some good money that neither Olofsson or Lundestrom will become “safe good top 6ers in their careers” because they aren’t 1st rounders.

I really disagree on the McLeod point, he’s a great skater, but he’s more than just a skater, he’s a great playmaker. He has fantastic vision and great passing ability. He uses his size well to control the middle of the ice when he plays. He doesn’t have the first line potential but he can cap out at a 1B/ 2A 2nd line center with the right growth and development. His skating is a big plus to the open eye, but dissecting his game, his passing skill is really strong. You pointed out how the McLeod brothers “only score goals with their legs”. That’s not really true at all. The McLeod brothers don’t really score many goals, they create them. The use their speed and size to get in open pockets and pick out passes for their teammates.

I live around the Vancouver area, and I go to a lot of Vancouver Giants games. Milos Roman is one of my favourite draftees available. I love his package he brings to any line he plays on, but he isn’t a 1st round pick. He could close in on being one with a crazy year, but he’s not really done much to make a statement yet. He’s more of a mid/late 2nd rounder waiting to make a statement, waiting to push through.

So you use the stronger leagues arguement, but Bokk has been playing in the SuperElit against 16 year olds - 20 year olds, so I don’t see the big challenge there. You can’t compare that to Groulx in one of the toughest junior leagues in the world who’s almost going PPG after 18 games. Bokk is around the 2nd/3rd round right now if I’m being honest. Groulx is one of the best two way players in the league.

I do like that you finally admitted defeat to your Quinton Hughes over Rasmus Dahlin Chirade, that was a classic.

There’s quite a lot more, and I didn’t bother commenting on a lot of missing players in the final 10 that are pretty glaring.

This was a good post

You are right and the person to whom you are responding is wrong

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I guess a few things here.

Lundestrom vs Kupari seems to be a matter of personal preference. Your expectations for Kupari are written assumptively. Let’s see if he actually performs in Liiga the way Lundestrom is in the SHL.

My wording was incorrect in saying Olofsson is playing in a better league than Kupari. That should’ve came out as Lundestrom is playing in a better league than Kupari and Olofsson a better league than McBain. I still take Olofsson’s two-way game over Kupari’s upside (at the moment). That could flip for me.

I still take Bokk over Groulx. I’m comparing 1.25 ppg in a weaker developmental league to 1.0ppg in a top junior league. Groulx has grown up in Canada’s system while Bokk just broke out of Germany. From what I’ve seen there’s more pure talent with Bokk but more development needed.

Your points on McCleod are interesting. It’ll have to give him another look. The few games I’ve watched of him have been all about speed and getting the puck to the net, not so much his vision and playmaking. Point taken to watch more of him.

Not much detail I can respond to on your Roman comments. I see him differently.

FYI, I watch more WHL than anything else, just a few games for each of these prospects from other leagues under my belt. We can’t all be full time scouts!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I guess a few things here.

Lundestrom vs Kupari seems to be a matter of personal preference. Your expectations for Kupari are written assumptively. Let’s see if he actually performs in Liiga the way Lundestrom is in the SHL.

My wording was incorrect in saying Olofsson is playing in a better league than Kupari. That should’ve came out as Lundestrom is playing in a better league than Kupari and Olofsson a better league than McBain. I still take Olofsson’s two-way game over Kupari’s upside (at the moment). That could flip for me.

I still take Bokk over Groulx. I’m comparing 1.25 ppg in a weaker developmental league to 1.0ppg in a top junior league. Groulx has grown up in Canada’s system while Bokk just broke out of Germany. From what I’ve seen there’s more pure talent with Bokk but more development needed.

Your points on McCleod are interesting. It’ll have to give him another look. The few games I’ve watched of him have been all about speed and getting the puck to the net, not so much his vision and playmaking. Point taken to watch more of him.

Not much detail I can respond to on your Roman comments. I see him differently.

FYI, I watch more WHL than anything else, just a few games for each of these prospects from other leagues under my belt. We can’t all be full time scouts!
Of course, I don’t mean any hate by these posts, I just like to feel out what people know and if they actually can back up what they say and do. As far as Groulx goes, you should watch the Mooseheads game last night. He was electric and outperformed Zadina, which is hard to do. Your opinion may change after watching that game. I’m german, and I have a soft spot for german prospects, but I still have Bokk in the 2nd round. He had a ways to go. If he can prove himself later with greater competition it will put him closer to the first for me. I won’t beat the dead horse on Olofsson and Lundestrom being 2nd rounders (high to mid), but if you haven’t, or have forgotten, I would re watch or watch the Hlinka again or for the first time and watch Kupari play. He’s electric against players his own age, only loses a bit of spark against bigger players which will come once he fills out. Roman is one of those players that you can see be potentially great, in years to come, but you used that same argument against Kupari and his upside but lack of production in the Liiga, so that doesn’t really make sense to me. McLeod has been getting a lot of hate recently, mostly because he doesn’t score many goals. I don’t agree because he creates them like crazy using his speed and size. He’s one of those players that you can put snipers on his wing and have a dream 2nd line.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
December Top 31

1. Rasmus Dahlin (1)
2. Quinn Hughes (2)
3. Andrei Svechnikov (4)
4. Filip Zadina (3)
5. Adam Boqvist (5)
6. Bode Wilde (7)
7. Joseph Veleno (9)
8. Oliver Wahlstrom (8)
9. Ty Smith (6)
10. Isac Lundestrom (12)
11. Joel Farabee (13)
12. Brady Tkachuk (10)
13. Jared McIssac (14)
14. Evan Bouchard (22)
15. Jesper Kotkaniemi (11)
16. Dominik Bokk (28)
17. Jack McBain (18)
18. Akil Thomas (20)
19. Alexander Khovanov (16)
20. Rasmus Kupari (17)
21. Filip Hallander (23)
22. Jett Woo (19)
23. Milos Roman (25)
24. Jacob Olofsson (15)
25. Ryan Merkley (21)
26. Noah Dobson (NR)
27. Ryan McLeod (NR)
28. Benoit-Olivier Groulx (29)
29. Jonatan Berggren (30)
30. Jakub Skarek (24)
31. David Gustafsson (NR)

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I can't figure out why Woo is in the 20s. Any player built like him with that great of skating is a top fifteen pick in my book.

Him being a point off PPG only adds to it all.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
December Top 31

1. Rasmus Dahlin (1)
2. Quinn Hughes (2)
3. Andrei Svechnikov (4)
4. Filip Zadina (3)
5. Adam Boqvist (5)
6. Bode Wilde (7)
7. Joseph Veleno (9)
8. Oliver Wahlstrom (8)
9. Ty Smith (6)
10. Isac Lundestrom (12)
11. Joel Farabee (13)
12. Brady Tkachuk (10)
13. Jared McIssac (14)
14. Evan Bouchard (22)
15. Jesper Kotkaniemi (11)
16. Dominik Bokk (28)
17. Jack McBain (18)
18. Akil Thomas (20)
19. Alexander Khovanov (16)
20. Rasmus Kupari (17)
21. Filip Hallander (23)
22. Jett Woo (19)
23. Milos Roman (25)
24. Jacob Olofsson (15)
25. Ryan Merkley (21)
26. Noah Dobson (NR)
27. Ryan McLeod (NR)
28. Benoit-Olivier Groulx (29)
29. Jonatan Berggren (30)
30. Jakub Skarek (24)
31. David Gustafsson (NR)
If Isac Lundestrom ends up getting drafted before all of Tkachuk, Kupari, Kotkaniemi, Thomas, and Khovanov, I will literally eat a shoe.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Eventually moved Dahlin ahead, but this was fun to revisit.

Hughes back to #1 in a re-draft :)

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Eventually moved Dahlin ahead, but this was fun to revisit.

Hughes back to #1 in a re-draft :)
I think Buffalo still takes Dahlin as good as Hughes has been lately. I expect Dahlin takeover to begin next season as he’s growing out of his teen body. Up to 205lbs now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->