Value of: Juuse Saros

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
aren't the preds gonna protect him instead of rinne at the next expansion draft? would be impossible to get if that was the case

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Juuse is a star in the making, and our franchise goalie is 35. Not available for anything other than a gross overpayment.

Reactions: Kuola

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The expansion draft will be interesting. Maybe the Preds make a side deal.

What possible reason would we need to make a side deal for? By the time Seattle comes on board Rinne will be almost 38. Even if we left him unprotected, it's doubtful Seattle would take him just because he's like a year or two from retirement, if he hasn't retired already.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
This guy's going to be good. Real good. Would kill to have a young goalie like him in our pipeline.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Saros currently projects to be an NHL starter, and he is the heir apparent to Rinne. I think the Preds would need a very lopsided trade to part with him, especially because our goalie pipeline is bare behind him.

His stats for the year: 11-5-7, 2.44 GAA and .925 sv%.

I know not everybody buys into advanced statistics, but he had 10.28 goals saved above average (GSAA), putting him 7th in the league ahead of a whole mess of starters despite only playing 26 games. He had the 11th best high-danger save percentage as well.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Saros currently projects to be an NHL starter, and he is the heir apparent to Rinne. I think the Preds would need a very lopsided trade to part with him, especially because our goalie pipeline is bare behind him.

His stats for the year: 11-5-7, 2.44 GAA and .925 sv%.

I know not everybody buys into advanced statistics, but he had 10.28 goals saved above average (GSAA), putting him 7th in the league ahead of a whole mess of starters despite only playing 26 games. He had the 11th best high-danger save percentage as well.

Plus it's about how he can control and dictate the game. I actually thought Saros' rebound control was better than Rinne last season which is very difficult to do as Rinne has consistently been at worst a top 3 goalie in rebound control (Quality of rebounds allowed and puck frozen percentage). He's pretty good at moving the puck as well, not quite as good as Rinne or some of the greats in that category but still pretty good.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Plus it's about how he can control and dictate the game. I actually thought Saros' rebound control was better than Rinne last season which is very difficult to do as Rinne has consistently been at worst a top 3 goalie in rebound control (Quality of rebounds allowed and puck frozen percentage). He's pretty good at moving the puck as well, not quite as good as Rinne or some of the greats in that category but still pretty good.

I think both Rinne and Saros have benefited from watching the other and practicing with them. Saros is much better at puck-handling than he was in the early days, and Rinne has been better with angles and rebounds.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think both Rinne and Saros have benefited from watching the other and practicing with them. Saros is much better at puck-handling than he was in the early days, and Rinne has been better with angles and rebounds.

That's always been Rinne's strength though. I do agree Saros is better in puck handling.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
True, it just seems like he's been calmer in net and that helped his numbers this year.

I remember reading an article about rebound control, and minus lockout season, Rinne was always the best in quality of rebounds he allowed puck frozen percentage. It showed that Rinne and Pavelec were extreme outliers. All other goalies were generally a lot closer and it was far more team determined. Rinne on the other hand can influence shots against by himself positively, reverse is true for Pavelec. It only brought up to 2014-2015 though. Also Rinne was always a relatively weak goalie in rebound save percentage, one of his weaknesses.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Saros is probably the most impressive young Finnish goalie I have ever seen. He has been great at every level, Nashville is not letting him go easily.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
This is meant as no shot at Rinne but given the depth of their roster, if Nashville only loses a 38 year old goalie to the expansion draft, Seattle is doing them a favor.

I love watching Saros. Super quick and athletic. I see no reason why Nashville would move him given that they've seemingly been grooming him to take over for Rinne for the last few years.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
This is meant as no shot at Rinne but given the depth of their roster, if Nashville only loses a 38 year old goalie to the expansion draft, Seattle is doing them a favor.

I love watching Saros. Super quick and athletic. I see no reason why Nashville would move him given that they've seemingly been grooming him to take over for Rinne for the last few years.

I doubt Seattle's claiming a 38-year-old goaltender.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Rinne is a UFA next year, will be interesting to see how long they sign him for since it'll be a goalie on a 35+ contract

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's a gamble like any other backup and his value is a second round pick

Well, no. His value isn't just what other teams would pay for him, Nashville has a voice in this matter and there's no reason to trade him for a 2nd round pick at this point in time.

Maybe his trade value is a 2nd rounder in a vacuum, but this isn't a vacuum.

Rinne is getting up there in age and nearing the end of his contract, unless Saros demands to be the starter come October I just don't see a good reason for Nashville to even consider such a move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad