News Article: Justin Williams a typical Flyers story

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Williams was traded for Markov in a year that the Flyers had a legit shot at a cup, on a team that had a deep but aging forward core but not enough defensemen. That's the year Kapanen played defense and got creamed by Darcy Tucker. If memory serves, rookie Denis Seidenberg (a young guy we should have kept!) had to play in game 7 of the conference finals and fumbled the puck which lead to Tampa's first goal in that game. If only Clarke hadn't traded Eric Weinrich for a draft pick because he went out and got Markov.

I had extremely mixed feelings at the time about the deal. I was high on Willie but also loved Markov. Sadly Markov was only a Flyer for half a season. It's really possible the Flyers win the whole thing that year if only they had kept Weinrich.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Williams was traded for Markov in a year that the Flyers had a legit shot at a cup, on a team that had a deep but aging forward core but not enough defensemen. That's the year Kapanen played defense and got creamed by Darcy Tucker. If memory serves, rookie Denis Seidenberg (a young guy we should have kept!) had to play in game 7 of the conference finals and fumbled the puck which lead to Tampa's first goal in that game. If only Clarke hadn't traded Eric Weinrich for a draft pick because he went out and got Markov.

I had extremely mixed feelings at the time about the deal. I was high on Willie but also loved Markov. Sadly Markov was only a Flyer for half a season. It's really possible the Flyers win the whole thing that year if only they had kept Weinrich.

But Williams won a conn smythe 10 years later. It's unacceptable! We lose the trade it's unreal. I think I'm gonna jump off the Walt Whitman now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Not really, I don't think there is a team in the league that would have waited that long on a player to turn into something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad