News Article: Justin Williams a typical Flyers story

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Of course this is from Sielski..the rabble rouser...:laugh:

It is a fair topic though..hence the thread.

As Hextall noted..we need to hold on to our young players...except the Schenns...lol

NEW YORK - Justin Williams remembered pretty well the first time he was spectacular in an important playoff game. Yes, all playoff games are important, but some are more important than others, and this was one of those.

This was in April 2003, a first-round Game 7 between the Flyers and the Toronto Maple Leafs, and Williams passed to Simon Gagne 31/2 minutes in for the Flyers' first goal, then scored with 51 seconds left in the first period for their second, and they were on their way to a 6-1 rout. Maybe we all should have seen then what was coming.

"A back-to-back game, I think we played double or triple overtime the night before," Williams was saying Monday afternoon, and he was right. Game 6 had been a double-overtime Leafs victory that had ended less than 24 hours earlier.

"Jeez, you're 19, 20 years old. You're just going out and playing. You're not thinking about anything except winning."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...typical_Flyers_story.html#QveXG1EaU6hYkylJ.99

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That guy is an idiot, and who was the bigger idiot who hired a guy who's entire goal is to just find reasons to bash the Flyers. Just like the majority of Flyers beat writers, he's a mixture of stupid and arrogant.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yawn, the same recycled story that everyone's already aware of. Still guarantee that I see a bunch of people link this to their Facebook. It's the Philly way.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sielski is garbage. I hope he gets fired. I refuse to click that link to give such an ignorant hunk of walking, semi-sentient refuse more views than he deserves (approximately 0).

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
We get it. The Flyers need to hang on to their young players, build through the draft, practice patience, blah blah blah. Just another rehashed article...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'll be posting Sielski's second edition of this story tomorrow :sarcasm:

Congrats to the MVP winner....wish it was with us. :(

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Mike Sielski discovers that Justin Williams exists!

His next great stories will be Patrick Sharpe, Peter Forsberg and how the Flyers lost the Lindros trade.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
There's nothing typical about multiple cup winning players. At least not in the cap era.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Didn't read the article, but Williams is my favorite ex-Flyer. If we trade B. Schenn are we going to be watching him lift the cup elsewhere in 10 years for a player that retires in 5 without a cup?

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Didn't read the article, but Williams is my favorite ex-Flyer. If we trade B. Schenn are we going to be watching him lift the cup elsewhere in 10 years for a player that retires in 5 without a cup?

Williams has really high hockey iq. Schenn on the other hand.. Its good to see Williams doing so well with LA

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Williams has really high hockey iq. Schenn on the other hand.. Its good to see Williams doing so well with LA
I wonder how highly regarded Williams's hockey IQ was at 22...

EDIT: Let me put it this way, if BSchenn was drafted 28th overall like Williams, he would be regarded as a young player with lots of upside still. But since he was at one point "the best player not in the NHL", he is regarded as a disappointment for not being an immediate impact player. If you can detach your evaluation of Schenn from your initial expectations of him, there is still a player there to be excited about, imo.

Last edited:

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
It's not just the IQ - Williams does all of the little things right on a very consistent basis. He wins board battles, takes good routes to the puck, is good on the forecheck, and can help out defensively. Those things add up, and for me personally, it's the one area where I'd like to see Schenn improve the most this next season.

But yeah, we're 2 GMs removed from that trade. It's time to move on.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
It's not just the IQ - Williams does all of the little things right on a very consistent basis. He wins board battles, takes good routes to the puck, is good on the forecheck, and can help out defensively. Those things add up, and for me personally, it's the one area where I'd like to see Schenn improve the most this next season.

What he said. You could see that in Williams right away, Schenn needs to learn and improve in those areas greatly. I am hoping he is just a late bloomer. Schenn was lost too much last season on the ice

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It's also extremely unrealistic to believe he'd still be here even if Clarke wasn't the one to do it.

How many non-star players have spent 14 years with one team? From what I can see, the only example of such a player is David Legwand in Nashville, but he had some history keeping him there for so long, too.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That guy is an idiot, and who was the bigger idiot who hired a guy who's entire goal is to just find reasons to bash the Flyers. Just like the majority of Flyers beat writers, he's a mixture of stupid and arrogant.

For me--the canes should get the boots put to them for the trade-- They screwed the pooch with that trade--With the Canes he gave a glimpes of what he could do

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Williams was traded what 10 years ago? He was an injury prone forward on a team deep on forwards who needed serious help on the blue line. I'm over it. Seems so many people around here live in hindsight. It's old. He's had a good career good for him

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site

Experience, age and comfort in a system. Schenn isn't bad in any of those areas, but he does have plenty of room to grow. I didn't see Williams as being any smarter in his early years here for sure, although I was definitely a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad