Speculation: Justin Schultz's extension

The Perfect Human*

It's funny to think that just last year people were suggesting Justin Schultz was/would be better than guys like Carlson, Shattenkirk, Voynov, and Faulk.

To me he's never been a great even-strength player, nor a legitimate top-4 defenseman at the NHL level. He came in with a crazy hype train after his college and AHL exploits. But I think the real comps should be made with other one-dimensional defensemen like Joe Corvo and JM Liles rather than talking about true top-pairing defensemen like the aforementioned players.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
It's funny to think that just last year people were suggesting Justin Schultz was/would be better than guys like Carlson, Shattenkirk, Voynov, and Faulk.

To me he's never been a great even-strength player, nor a legitimate top-4 defenseman at the NHL level. He came in with a crazy hype train after his college and AHL exploits. But I think the real comps should be made with other one-dimensional defensemen like Joe Corvo and JM Liles rather than talking about true top-pairing defensemen like the aforementioned players.
Voynov is the only one largely better he is better offensively then all the rest and getting closer defensively...

The Perfect Human*

Voynov is the only one largely better he is better offensively then all the rest and getting closer defensively...

Carlson and Shattenkirk both have more points than him.
Faulk is only 5 points behind him in point production.

All 4 of them are in another league defensively. Yes Schultz has closed what was a gaping wide gap to what is still a sizable gap.

Again - we are talking about players in different tiers of even strength performance. Top pairing defensemen vs potential bottom-pairing fodder. The only thing that's made them comparable is point production.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Comparing him to Shattenkirk when we first got him is every bit as unfair as comparing him to Liles or Corvo. Schultz was a prospect. He still is a prospect. How many years did Fowler look like trash defensively before he put it together? (hint: every year but this one).

If you say that Schultz=Liles today but there's just no way to know that since he's not finished developing yet. How many people said that Marincin would probably never even crack this lineup? The only comparable to Schultz today is Faulk.

I want to keep Schultz and not because he's a 'guaranteed' top pairing guy. I want to keep him because he's a young player with potential and it seems every year a few guys like him push it to the next level. If we trade him we are selling while he is still at the awkward early part of his career.

The Perfect Human*

Comparing him to Shattenkirk when we first got him is every bit as unfair as comparing him to Liles or Corvo. Schultz was a prospect. He still is a prospect. How many years did Fowler look like trash defensively before he put it together? (hint: every year but this one).

If you say that Schultz=Liles today but there's just no way to know that since he's not finished developing yet. How many people said that Marincin would probably never even crack this lineup? The only comparable to Schultz today is Faulk.

I want to keep Schultz and not because he's a 'guaranteed' top pairing guy. I want to keep him because he's a young player with potential and it seems every year a few guys like him push it to the next level. If we trade him we are selling while he is still at the awkward early part of his career.

Fowler started to look good defensively last year. As a 20-year old. Marincin is starting to look like a true stud defensively. As a 21-year old.

Schultz entered the league at 22. He's 23 right now. I think age is a better indicator of development potential than "experience". The growth potential of a 23 year old is much less than a 19-20 year old at the same experience level.

I don't have much faith in Schultz becoming much. I never have. Currently he's playing at a Corvo/Liles level, seeing elevated minutes/role because this team is unable to play anyone else. I think he should see money accordingly for 2-3 years. If he exceeds it, then great, give him a long-term big money deal, because then he'll deserve it.

As of now, he doesn't deserve anything close to that.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I think age is a better indicator of development potential than "experience".

physically age is better, but the mental part of the game age is largely irrelevant and the experience, especially experience in professional leagues is much more key than anything else. With Schultz it's not a case of him being limited physically it's a case of needing to clean up some of the mental aspects of the game and he has made a lot of progress in that regard this year. Which makes sense, he's only just finishing his 2nd professional season now.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Michael Del Zotto since joining Nashville:

5 points in 23 GP

Only averaging 16 minutes a game.

Is this your cautionary tale when it comes to Justin Schultz? A comparable guy who has struggled? Imagine if he was paid over 3.5M or 4M like some have suggested.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I wonder if the Oilers would ever consider trying him at RW for an extended period of time. He has the offensive talent and might bring a good two way game being that he started as a Dman. If we move one of Eberle/Yaks for a D, maybe sign a guy in FA also. Might be able to turn Schultz into a very versatile and useful player that can play either F or D.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder if the Oilers would ever consider trying him at RW for an extended period of time. He has the offensive talent and might bring a good two way game being that he started as a Dman. If we move one of Eberle/Yaks for a D, maybe sign a guy in FA also. Might be able to turn Schultz into a very versatile and useful player that can play either F or D.

I'd prefer they try not playing him for 23 minutes per night first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad