Player Discussion Justin "Fonzie" Fontaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
McCormick is pretty useless..it just took Yeo and Wild fans a few games to realize that. Why do you think Buffalo(the team that has taken Anyone, to play for them this season) wanted rid of his contract.

Wasn't more of us wanting to rid ourselves of Mitchell's? McCormick was just there to balance the deal.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
It was both, I read somewhere(can't remember, will find for you if I can) that they wanted rid of McCormick's contract as well, and he was a throw in and the only way they would take Mitchell.)

I thought that was a poster saying that and not actually backed up. McCormick's pro-rated contract for the rest of the year would not have been much bigger than the person they replaced him with. Plus, Buffalo has so much space anyways. I think it was they just wanted rid of him, not so much about the contract.

GoWild

Nov 29, 2013
Colorado
Why do we scratch Fontaine?

Justin Fontaine provides so much potential offense. He did exceptional on the line with Moulson and El Capitain. I think that is much better than dressing McCormick...

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Justin Fontaine provides so much potential offense. He did exceptional on the line with Moulson and El Capitain. I think that is much better than dressing McCormick...

Or Heatley....

But in all seriousness, read russo's blog today, Yeo talked a little about Fontaine. Saying the last few games he's been a little off.

In the Fontaine player discussion thread I was bringing this up, seems to have left the front page now..

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how Fontaine has been playing this season. What do you think he tops out as in terms of points over the next couple years? Could he be a 50 point guy? Or is he a career 2nd/3rd line tweener?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Personally I see him topping out as a third liner. Not sure what I would guess as his point totals, but lower than 50 for sure.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Playing for us probably limits his upside. I think he could put up a bunch of points on one of the top two lines.. the problem is he has almost no chance to stick there for us without injuries.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Personally I see him topping out as a third liner. Not sure what I would guess as his point totals, but lower than 50 for sure.

I hope on this roster, he tops out as a 4th liner.

To answer the question about why he's scratched... He's mediocre. He does nothing exceptionally well. He's really old considering how little experience he has. I'm very hard on Fontaine, part of that may be having to listen to Bulldog fans overrate the hell out of the guy. I'd rather see a true grinder play on the 4th line than Fontaine, and I'd rather see a more talented scorer play on the "third" line.

He doesn't hit well, he doesn't pass well, and he's a decent skater. He benefited from a ridiculously high shot % last year that will never happen again.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota

To answer the question about why he's scratched... He's mediocre. He does nothing exceptionally well. He's really old considering how little experience he has. I'm very hard on Fontaine, part of that may be having to listen to Bulldog fans overrate the hell out of the guy. I'd rather see a true grinder play on the 4th line than Fontaine, and I'd rather see a more talented scorer play on the "third" line.

He doesn't hit well, he doesn't pass well, and he's a decent skater. He benefited from a ridiculously high shot % last year that will never happen again.

I agree with all of this.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale

He has great offensive awareness. The guy can mesh well with first line players. He has great vision and passing skills and some finish. He drives the offense on whatever line he is on because he can carry the puck through the neutral zone better than a lot of guys on this team. You are underrating a lot of things he does well that this team needs. Guy just produces and that is what matters. He isn't big, he doesn't hit, but he creates scoring opportunities despite his ice time and role.

space321

May 11, 2011
Fontaine's great. Dunno whats with that guy bashing him. He's not soft like you'd expect with his size, and he has some really great skill for his bottom-9 forward role. He's an ideal guy to have in your team.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Yeah, he's a great depth forward. Can be moved up and down the lineup and has the advantage of his offensive awareness to be productive on a skill line. Just a guy who gives you options in your forward lineup, a bit of a luxury for a quality team. Not so outstanding alone but versatile.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I been digging his play of late - he has energy to burn, and skill. I think he is the perfect old-school "bottom 6" guy, even though I'm more of a top 9 guy.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I've been seriously impressed with this dude. Guy makes himself noticeable every game.

9 G, 20 A, 29 P, +14 for a guy who is often referred to as "depth/utility player" is pretty damn good.

Loving his contract too. 2 yrs/$2 million, so we'll have him cheap next year if we hold onto him.

I guess he's just a "late bloomer."

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
He's been playing great. That line is clicking right now for sure.

Helps when you are no longer facing the top D pairings and 2-way forwards. It is a perfect line if Coyle can really figure out faceoffs. Fontaine should never leave this team though. Very rare to find someone with good vision who will play Bottom 6 minutes.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Underrated player. Glad he's back. Should give the third line a boost finally playing with someone who has offensive skills.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Underrated player. Glad he's back. Should give the third line a boost finally playing with someone who has offensive skills.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll have the money to re-sign him once his contract expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad