Player Discussion Justin "Fonzie" Fontaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Mccormick is going to play because he needs to get the Wild's system down as he will be needed with his physical play come playoff time.

Can't afford the 4th line to be undersized as it would be with both Haula AND Fontaine.

Maybe it's just me but instead of worried about getting bigger, I'd rather see us get faster and more skilled? Seems to be the same situation with Haula vs Brodziak? One could argue the third line should be big and hit a lot, which Haula doesn't fit at all. It's always better to get bigger, but not when you sacrifice skill and speed to do it.

Actually don't mind Mccormick, I thought he would be a press box guy but I haven't found anything I don't like. Sure he doesn't create any sort of offense, but he's been good on the PK and his physicality will be needed.

Edit: Still want to see more Fontaine though, wouldn't mind dropping Heater either.

Isn't that the Wild's problem though? We need all the offense we can get and having a guy like McCormick out there is saying, yeah we will be big and tough for 8 min a game vs we are going to try and get mismatches with our fourth line and get some secondary scoring.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Maybe it's just me but instead of worried about getting bigger, I'd rather see us get faster and more skilled? Seems to be the same situation with Haula vs Brodziak? One could argue the third line should be big and hit a lot, which Haula doesn't fit at all. It's always better to get bigger, but not when you sacrifice skill and speed to do it.

Isn't that the Wild's problem though? We need all the offense we can get and having a guy like McCormick out there is saying, yeah we will be big and tough for 8 min a game vs we are going to try and get mismatches with our fourth line and get some secondary scoring.

The team is gearing towards having 3 scoring lines and 1 checking/energy line as opposed to 2 scoring lines, 1 energy line, and 1 checking line. It would make more logical sense at this point to have the lines as

Parise-Grandlund-Pommer
Moulson-Koivu-Heater
Coyle-Haula-Nino
Cooke-Brodziak-McCormick/Fontaine (as team dictates)

Sucks for Justin, but I would assume he'll be retained this offseason and will be in that 4th line role permanently.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
The team is gearing towards having 3 scoring lines and 1 checking/energy line as opposed to 2 scoring lines, 1 energy line, and 1 checking line. It would make more logical sense at this point to have the lines as

Parise-Grandlund-Pommer
Moulson-Koivu-Heater
Coyle-Haula-Nino
Cooke-Brodziak-McCormick/Fontaine (as team dictates)

Sucks for Justin, but I would assume he'll be retained this offseason and will be in that 4th line role permanently.

I'd imagine he thinks about looking elsewhere to get more ice time. Either way even if he's 25 or whatever he is this is still his Rookie season. He'll find his way to a permanent NHL role eventually. He's too smart not to.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Justin Fontaine reminds me of Tyler Johnson. Overlooked and undrafted, then signed and given a shot in the NHL. Difference is that TBL gave Johnson an honest look and now he's got 20 goals and 40 points, while Fontaine gets the 4th line and healthy scratch treatment, and he's got 12 goals and 18 points.

I honestly think if you stuck Fontaine with Heatley and Haula and played them a decent amount of ES minutes, he'd be a nice 15-20 goal RW.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Justin Fontaine reminds me of Tyler Johnson. Overlooked and undrafted, then signed and given a shot in the NHL. Difference is that TBL gave Johnson an honest look and now he's got 20 goals and 40 points, while Fontaine gets the 4th line and healthy scratch treatment, and he's got 12 goals and 18 points.

I honestly think if you stuck Fontaine with Heatley and Haula and played them a decent amount of ES minutes, he'd be a nice 15-20 goal RW.

Easily. The funny thing is that Cooke plays and compliments Cooke so much better than anyone else has. I would love to see Cooke-Haula-Fontaine out there. Gorgeous 4th line that puts in 12-15 minutes a game.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Easily. The funny thing is that Cooke plays and compliments Cooke so much better than anyone else has. I would love to see Cooke-Haula-Fontaine out there. Gorgeous 4th line that puts in 12-15 minutes a game.

Even Cooke - Brodziak - Fontaine was a dynamo line when they were together. He's done nothing this year to deserve the 4th line scratch treatment he's getting. There are reasons to have McCormick play over him, but not many, and in my opinion not enough to keep Fontaine out of the lineup. I've said it before and I'll say it again

PPG
Moulson - Koivu - Heatley
Neiderreiter - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - Brodz - Fontaine

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
Just for fun, does anyone have the Wild's w/l with Fontaine in/out of the lineup?

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Fontaine is a causality of Heatley. He will be retained and play regularly next season. Haula is playing too well to be taking out and is on the PK, Heatley plays PP and has been decent as of late, and you can't fault Yeo for wanting some size and toughness in lineup especially playing in the west. Wait until someone takes a run at Spurgeon, Brodin, Granlund, or any other of our key players without McCormick in the lineup.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fontaine is a causality of Heatley. He will be retained and play regularly next season. Haula is playing too well to be taking out and is on the PK, Heatley plays PP and has been decent as of late, and you can't fault Yeo for wanting some size and toughness in lineup especially playing in the west. Wait until someone takes a run at Spurgeon, Brodin, Granlund, or any other of our key players without McCormick in the lineup.

McCormick being in or out of the lineup has absolutely no affect (effect?) on whether anybody is going to take a run at Granlund or Brodin.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy

Doesnt matter. Yeo doesnt let anyone do anything, ever.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
McCormick being in or out of the lineup has absolutely no affect (effect?) on whether anybody is going to take a run at Granlund or Brodin.

I disagree. Knowing you're going to have to answer for taking runs at skilled players is a deterrent for a lot guys, not all of course, but to say his presence has no affect just isn't true IMO.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Have we even had an issue this year where this true anyways? Granlund getting nailed by Kadri along with Backstrom in the same game and no one did a damn thing anyways. I highly doubt McCormick is going to do anything either. We got a 5 minute major and Match for the hit on Granlund and a 2 minute minor for Backstrom. Not either player's fault the team didn't capitalize on either during that game.

Gone are the days where we need Boogaard out there to protect Gaborik or Koivu from shady hits.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Have we even had an issue this year where this true anyways? Granlund getting nailed by Kadri along with Backstrom in the same game and no one did a damn thing anyways. I highly doubt McCormick is going to do anything either. We got a 5 minute major and Match for the hit on Granlund and a 2 minute minor for Backstrom. Not either player's fault the team didn't capitalize on either during that game.

Gone are the days where we need Boogaard out there to protect Gaborik or Koivu from shady hits.

Brodziak and Pommer both challenged Kadri.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Brodziak and Pommer both challenged Kadri.

Of those two the only one who would have done anything is Brodziak. Pommer knows he was needed too much to be in the box for 5 minutes for fighting and probably the 2 minutes extra for instigating.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I disagree. Knowing you're going to have to answer for taking runs at skilled players is a deterrent for a lot guys, not all of course, but to say his presence has no affect just isn't true IMO.

Is Cody McCormick really that much of a deterrent, though??

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I think he definitely can be. Is McCormick the most feared fighter in the league? No, not by any means but he definitely stands up for teammates and isn't afraid to drop 'em with just about anyone.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just for fun, does anyone have the Wild's w/l with Fontaine in/out of the lineup?

In: 52 points in 43 games (60.5%)
Out: 15 points in 13 games (57.7%)

Not a huge difference I suppose.

Looking at Regulation/Overtime Wins:

In: 17/43 (39.5%)
Out: 4/13 (30.8%)

Bigger spread there. Wild definitely win more actual hockey games (not shootouts) with Fontaine in the lineup.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Of those two the only one who would have done anything is Brodziak. Pommer knows he was needed too much to be in the box for 5 minutes for fighting and probably the 2 minutes extra for instigating.

But we don't want either of those two fighting. Brodz is a huge part of our PK and Pomminville is obviously a stud. The Wild shrank in that game with Toronto rolling Mark Fraser, Mclaren, and Clarkson. Not saying starting a brawl or filling up the penalty box every night is how to win hockey games but standing up for yourself and teammates is necessary.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think he definitely can be. Is McCormick the most feared fighter in the league? No, not by any means but he definitely stands up for teammates and isn't afraid to drop 'em with just about anyone.

And anybody who is going to go out there and run Granlund or Brodin isn't going to be afraid to drop 'em either. Nobody is sitting on the bench or in the locker room thinking "well, I was planning on being physical with Brodin but, dammnit, they're dressing McCormick tonight."

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
But we don't want either of those two fighting. Brodz is a huge part of our PK and Pomminville is obviously a stud. The Wild shrank in that game with Toronto rolling Mark Fraser, Mclaren, and Clarkson. Not saying starting a brawl or filling up the penalty box every night is how to win hockey games but standing up for yourself and teammates is necessary.

McLaren was scratched that game and the only thing Fraser did was get an incidental roughing minor with Brodziak. The Wild also had Konopka and Stoner both dressed for that game which didn't stop Kadri from taking 2 runs at our players.

The Wild retaliates in that game, and the best we've done is even up "the score" while probably putting Toronto's dangerous special teams unit on the PP. Would "retaliation" have stopped Kadri from running Granlund later in the game? I'd say probably not. Stupid players are going to do stupid things whether they are scared of getting "stood up to" or not.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
McLaren was scratched that game and the only thing Fraser did was get an incidental roughing minor with Brodziak. The Wild also had Konopka and Stoner both dressed for that game which didn't stop Kadri from taking 2 runs at our players.

The Wild retaliates in that game, and the best we've done is even up "the score" while probably putting Toronto's dangerous special teams unit on the PP. Would "retaliation" have stopped Kadri from running Granlund later in the game? I'd say probably not. Stupid players are going to do stupid things whether they are scared of getting "stood up to" or not.

just pointing out that if john scott was on our 4th line & they ran granlund someone would pay. im in favor of having one nuclear weapon.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Intimidation is never going to stop players from making stupid decisions to run or injure other players. The NHL taking these clowns out of the game is the only thing that is a sure-fire remedy.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm glad to see Fontaine potentially back in the lineup, especially with Haula. McCormick was ok from a defensive standpoint, but I feel like Fontaine needs to see some ice for a few games too and maybe add some threat to a line other than the PPG line.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
How many fights were in last year's playoffs?

Edit: Here's a list

Shaw vs Marchand
Bergeron vs Malkin
Dorsett vs Thornton
Dorsett vs Campbell
Gallagher vs Conacher
Subban vs Turris
Amrstrong vs Kassian
Tinordi vs Phillips
Moen vs Neil
Bouillon vs Smith
White vs Cowen
Fraser vs Thornton
Okposo vs Niskanen
Komaro vs Kelly

1/3 of those are good players fighting, 2/3 are fourth liners.

Odd that Boston and Ottawa were the ones doing most of the fighting.

Notice that only one fight involved a player from the West...

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
McCormick is pretty useless..it just took Yeo and Wild fans a few games to realize that. Why do you think Buffalo(the team that has taken Anyone, to play for them this season) wanted rid of his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad