NFL: Justin Fields vs Zach Wilson

Fields vs Wilson

• Total voters

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
There are a lot of different opinions on the 49ers plans out there and I fall on the side that says there's no chance they traded up without already knowing who they're taking. You don't trade three 1st round picks and then start going through the process and deciding on which QB you might like. I believe that decision has already been made and that's probably Mac Jones.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If it’s Jones, it seems weird since he doesn’t get the same hype, but I thought out loud during that season he was making a push to get into that spot. I have him ahead of Wilson personally, so if he were to go 3, it’s going to shock some people but I would still like the pick. Not sure about the offense but that’s something the 49ers would obviously not have a problem with.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There are a lot of different opinions on the 49ers plans out there and I fall on the side that says there's no chance they traded up without already knowing who they're taking. You don't trade three 1st round picks and then start going through the process and deciding on which QB you might like. I believe that decision has already been made and that's probably Mac Jones.
I think that his name is nothing but noise. They watched him throw but basically ignored him and his college coach. They pulled Fields aside and are doing the same for Lance.

If it isn’t down to Fields by now, it’s between Fields and Lance. We won’t know up until they draft since Lynch runs a leakless ship.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think that his name is nothing but noise. They watched him throw but basically ignored him and his college coach. They pulled Fields aside and are doing the same for Lance.

If it isn’t down to Fields by now, it’s between Fields and Lance. We won’t know up until they draft since Lynch runs a leakless ship.

At times teams will quietly do their homework and then ignore a player who they're really interested in. This is a different situation because there's no threat of another team taking their guy so I don't know why the 49ers would do that but I guess it's still a possibility. Regardless of who the pick is, like I said above, I think they already know. IMO, they've known before running Fields/Lance through these extra drills.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If it’s Jones, it seems weird since he doesn’t get the same hype, but I thought out loud during that season he was making a push to get into that spot. I have him ahead of Wilson personally, so if he were to go 3, it’s going to shock some people but I would still like the pick. Not sure about the offense but that’s something the 49ers would obviously not have a problem with.
Why are you low on Wilson?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why are you low on Wilson?

It's not so much being low but his competition. Would have preferred he go back for another year, but he's going high 1st round so he's made the right choice. He's got like rich-kid character concerns but there doesn't seem to be evidence that it's made him a bad teammate, I'd trust that Joe Douglas did his homework

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's not so much being low but his competition. Would have preferred he go back for another year, but he's going high 1st round so he's made the right choice. He's got like rich-kid character concerns but there doesn't seem to be evidence that it's made him a bad teammate, I'd trust that Joe Douglas did his homework
Yes that's also the first impression that I got from Zach based on his look. A rich, douche with blonde hair and tan. I was like nope!

Then you look at the tape and you say ok that is good but he played against shitty teams, so what's the deal?

Then I started to listen to him and people that have been around him and I understand that I was totaly wrong on him. He is obessed on his craft he spent all of last summer watching tapes, changing his arm mechanic/motion and analyze where he could improve with a private coach while doing Door Dashing to be able to afford him. He is way more humble and willing to work than his look would indicate. He has the great trait you want from a QB which are contant improvement and self assessment/awareness. I could go on and on but things you can see on film that he improved from last year are incredible. From his arm angle throws, off platform mechanic, his eyes movement, his anticipation, his touch and more importantly his ball retention.

He has been labelled a tape freak, always analyzing other QBs and where he can improve. Anyway I understood the hype after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Timeless Winter

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
tenor.gif
lirl you're replying to a guy who would draft an Ohio State walk on over a recognized star, doubly so if that star embarrassed his team before. He also probably thinks Bene Benwikere is better than Deion Sanders just because Benwikere went to the school he dropped out of. SAD!

Reactions: Voight

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I feel like we see this every other year; unheralded QB gets his tires pumped, shoots up the draft board and some team gets overly excited about what they saw and ends up drafting a guy that ends up being gone within 5 years if not sooner.

The Daniel Jones effect.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You don’t trade all of that for Mac Jones. You trade it for a player you believe has elite traits you can develop into an MVP candidate. I do believe the decision was made long ago. In fact I believe the decision was made on December 7 when Shanahan watched Josh Allen go 32-40, 375 and 4 scores on him. And in his post game talked unprovoked about how the game has changed from scheme fits to getting a guy who can do something 98 percent of people can’t and changing your system to put them in position to do it.

it’s Lance.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
lirl you're replying to a guy who would draft an Ohio State walk on over a recognized star, doubly so if that star embarrassed his team before. He also probably thinks Bene Benwikere is better than Deion Sanders just because Benwikere went to the school he dropped out of. SAD!

That's the dumbest thing posted here seeing how I said I would take Wilson over Fields earlier this year.

Stop following my posts around. It's creepy.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
You don’t trade all of that for Mac Jones. You trade it for a player you believe has elite traits you can develop into an MVP candidate. I do believe the decision was made long ago. In fact I believe the decision was made on December 7 when Shanahan watched Josh Allen go 32-40, 375 and 4 scores on him. And in his post game talked unprovoked about how the game has changed from scheme fits to getting a guy who can do something 98 percent of people can’t and changing your system to put them in position to do it.

it’s Lance.
With Fields telling teams he’s managing epilepsy, I now assume that if it’s a coin flip between the two the 49ers will take Lance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like we see this every other year; unheralded QB gets his tires pumped, shoots up the draft board and some team gets overly excited about what they saw and ends up drafting a guy that ends up being gone within 5 years if not sooner.

The Daniel Jones effect.
That effect was around long before Daniel Jones. There was Jake Locker and Christian Ponder, neither of whom was worth the pre-draft hype and certainly didn’t warrant it after.

But truth be told, if they’re a QB, and they’re your guy, you gotta get them. These braintrusts have to control their destiny.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That effect was around long before Daniel Jones. There was Jake Locker and Christian Ponder, neither of whom was worth the pre-draft hype and certainly didn’t warrant it after.

But truth be told, if they’re a QB, and they’re your guy, you gotta get them. These braintrusts have to control their destiny.

Oh for sure. Jones is just the one that came to mind first.

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
mac jones is so underrated. statistically he had one of the best seasons for a quarterback ever in college and won the national championship. people who say he is mitch trubisky who barely could win the starting job at North Carolina is nothing like a starting QB playing in the toughest divison in CFB. Not to mention he was practically flawless for the season. But oh hes white and cant run like Lamar or escape like Russ. How far exactly have either of them been in the postseason the past 3 years? Didnt a QB who plays primarily in the pocket and is accurate just win the Superbowl this year? And people who say Mac Jones will be Kirk Cousins is also a laughable insult to Mac. People just hate because Mac is a “unathletic” white QB and the golden child Fields is dropping so they have to hate Mac for it. Watch the tape of both and check their stats and objectively tell me who is better or at least admit its not that far off.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Only a few more days of pretending like they didn't decide Mac Jones is their guy a month ago.

I just can’t see it after passing on Mahomes, and then Shanahan’s comments about Josh Allen after the Bills game. I will be very shocked if it’s him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

it’s Lance.

Reactions: izlez

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

it’s Lance.

I'm not sold on Lance. 1 year starters are always risky bets (Trubisky) let alone ones that faced 2nd tier competition (Lance/FCS)

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I'm not sold on Lance. 1 year starters are always risky bets (Trubisky) let alone ones that faced 2nd tier competition (Lance/FCS)

I'm not sold on him either but his physical gifts are undeniable. The 49ers are a good organization and they chose to swing for the fences with the pick. Generally, I agree with that philosophy.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This should have been Lawrence vs
Fields.

Just LOOK at their college and high school careers.

The only story is how any pip squat could compete.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm not sold on him either but his physical gifts are undeniable. The 49ers are a good organization and they chose to swing for the fences with the pick. Generally, I agree with that philosophy.
His offense at NDSU was a pro offense where he played under center. People keep ignoring this and deferring to where he went.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
His offense at NDSU was a pro offense where he played under center. People keep ignoring this and deferring to where he went.

For me, it's less his system and more his lack of experience and quality of competition.

However, I don't like "safe" draft picks in general; I believe in swinging for the fences, so I have no problem with the pick for the 49ers.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I have given up having any sort of confidence on who will and won't be any good.
Josh Allen buckled a lot of people who thought they had even the slightest understanding of what goes into to a college QB developing into a legit franchise guy. Not picking on you, because I ate a lot of tasty crow, too, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00