NFL: Justin Fields vs Zach Wilson

Fields vs Wilson

• Total voters

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Wilson has the higher floor and Fields has more upside but not by much. The honest answer for me is whoever fits your scheme and vision better.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Wilson has the higher floor and Fields has more upside but not by much. The honest answer for me is whoever fits your scheme and vision better.
Bingo!

Fields has the highest upside but he will need a system that fit his playing style. And possibly a bit more growing pain earlier.

Wilson is a bit more versatile and he is more what you see is what you get. He can fit in almost any scheme.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I keep seeing sources saying 49ers want Mac Jones. God I hope that doesn't happen. You don't jump from 12 to 3 and not take the best available quarterback.
The org is so tight lipped I have to believe they’re just blowing smoke. I have a hard time seeing them pass up on Fields if he’s left at 3.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I keep seeing sources saying 49ers want Mac Jones. God I hope that doesn't happen. You don't jump from 12 to 3 and not take the best available quarterback.

You dont give up that much draft capital for Mac Jones. Might as well just keep Jimmy G if youre going to do that. They have to take Fields or Lance.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I'd be nervous with either Fields or Jones, how many OSU and Alabama QB's have been college superstars and then flame out in the NFL, these guys are in systems where it is probably harder to fail than it is to succeed, maybe these guys will be different but for a guy like Jones especially, his skill guys were probably better than some NFL teams had last year and were miles ahead of the competition most weeks

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
I don't know, but based on Mac Jones' pro day, Fields seems like the better choice.
I agree, but pro day doesn’t answer all the questions of who is going to be the better QB, or any player. It shows physical attributes, but that’s maybe only 25% of potentially being a great football player. It’s been proven since pro day has been around. Not all that look remarkable on pro day become great players. Leadership, respect, heart, how they become when they make money, how do they react when things are going poorly around them, or when they get smacked in the mouth and probably most importantly, what kind of character will they have outside of football. Pro day doesn’t answer all of those questions.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I agree, but pro day doesn’t answer all the questions of who is going to be the better QB, or any player. It shows physical attributes, but that’s maybe only 25% of potentially being a great football player. It’s been proven since pro day has been around. Not all that look remarkable on pro day become great players. Leadership, respect, heart, how they become when they make money, how do they react when things are going poorly around them, or when they get smacked in the mouth and probably most importantly, what kind of character will they have outside of football. Pro day doesn’t answer all of those questions.

Amen, good post.
And personally, I don't care how high a quarterback can jump.. I want a player who has the nerve to withstand a collapsing pocket, & win in January. Pro days can't measure that.. pro days are largely irrelevant tests.

Reactions: Dubi Doo and fin8

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Teams that value the entire scope over just combine/pro day results usually do better at drafting.

It’s like school; some people are bad test takers but proficient overall in the subject. And there are players that light up the combine but can’t do a thing on the field.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
It’s like school; some people are bad test takers but proficient overall in the subject. And there are players that light up the combine but can’t do a thing on the field.

I agree with your point about combine success not necessarily translating to on the field success (and vice versa).. but I don't think that the problem is testing anxiety, etc.
I think mistranslations are common because the combine tests are mostly irrelevant, and basically stupid.
They test (& seek) basic athleticism, which doesn't really evaluate positional skill. I don't care how high Brady & Montana can jump, or how much they bench. The valuable intel is their precision, touch on passes, etc. I assume a lot of teams don't care either about the vertical jump aspect(s) of the combine.. but I think some are enamored with generic 'athletes', over specialized skill sets..

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lawrence will not be the best QB out of this draft.

tenor.gif

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The only team I really dislike are the 49ers. That goes back to them owning the Falcons for the entire decades of the 80's and 90's. And now that I have decided to not be a Falcons fan anymore and the only team I care about now are the Buckeyes.......Fields is going to either end up with the only team I dislike or the team I will never cheer for again.

Sports!

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Well, there is still the possibility that Atlanta trade the Pick, or take another guy (maybe Pitts?)

And right now, Jones seems like he is SF pick

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fields (and Lance) will be running 49ers schemes for them, something Mac Jones didn’t.
I like Jones a lot and wouldn’t hate it if a team took him too 10 but he doesn’t seem to be a fit for what the 49ers want to do.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I like Jones a lot and wouldn’t hate it if a team took him too 10 but he doesn’t seem to be a fit for what the 49ers want to do.
I didn’t think so from the start. He’s another card in the deck imo.

They didn’t talk to Saban about him. They didn’t pull him to the side for individual workouts. I just don’t see it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad