Justin Faulk

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
For me, one of the brighter spots mid-way through the season has been Justin Faulk, offensively. The stats speak for themselves. Through 41 games, Faulk is on pace for a career high in goals (14), assists (34) and points (48.) He’s presently Top 20 in scoring amongst defensemen.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20142015&gameType=2&team=&position=D&country=&status=&viewName=summary

Two things stand out when it comes to Faulk offensively this season versus seasons past. First, it seems like he’s making a concerted effort to establish his shot. As a draft prospect, one of the strengths to his game was a booming shot. For whatever reason, maybe confidence or coaching, it felt like he was holding back a bit. This season, he’s just letting it rip. Faulk is on pace for a career high in shots (218.) He’s presently Top 10 in shots by defensemen. Good things happen, when you get the puck on net. Case in point, Faulk picked up an assist last night by wristing it on Enroth, where Nash battled and banged home the rebound.

The second thing that stands out is how aggressive and confident Faulk appears with the puck on his stick. He looks like a different player moving the puck up ice. Thinking back to the Nashville game, I want to say on three different occasions Faulk single-handedly broke the puck out from low in the defensive zone, leaving forechecking Preds’ forwards in the dust.

Overall, it looks like Faulk has taken another step towards becoming a legit #1 defenseman. Next up is finding greater consistency in the defensive zone.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
For me, one of the brighter spots mid-way through the season has been Justin Faulk, offensively. The stats speak for themselves. Through 41 games, Faulk is on pace for a career high in goals (14), assists (34) and points (48.) He’s presently Top 20 in scoring amongst defensemen.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20142015&gameType=2&team=&position=D&country=&status=&viewName=summary

Two things stand out when it comes to Faulk offensively this season versus seasons past. First, it seems like he’s making a concerted effort to establish his shot. As a draft prospect, one of the strengths to his game was a booming shot. For whatever reason, maybe confidence or coaching, it felt like he was holding back a bit. This season, he’s just letting it rip. Faulk is on pace for a career high in shots (218.) He’s presently Top 10 in shots by defensemen. Good things happen, when you get the puck on net. Case in point, Faulk picked up an assist last night by wristing it on Enroth, where Nash battled and banged home the rebound.

The second thing that stands out is how aggressive and confident Faulk appears with the puck on his stick. He looks like a different player moving the puck up ice. Thinking back to the Nashville game, I want to say on three different occasions Faulk single-handedly broke the puck out from low in the defensive zone, leaving forechecking Preds’ forwards in the dust.

Overall, it looks like Faulk has taken another step towards becoming a legit #1 defenseman. Next up is finding greater consistency in the defensive zone.

Though he has struggled in the defensive zone quite a bit this year, I agree that he is showing huge promise for years to come. Offensive talent like that from a defensemen doesn't come very often, but he is showing it. I really do think he has the tools to become a great two way defensemen, and think his defensive game will definitely improve in the upcoming seasons. Most defensemen don't develop their defensive zone game until about 24-26 years old. Faulk is only 22 :)

A great example of that is Chris Pronger. In Pronger's first 3 seasons in the NHL while effective offensively, his +/- was a combined total of -43. After that third season he only played two seasons with a negative +/- and became one of the best defensemen in the game.

While I don't think Faulk will become Pronger, I could definitely see Faulk making annual trips to the all star game, and make a difference on the USA Olympic squad.

Side note: Nothing gets me more excited at the games when Faulk does good, that way I can blurt out my favorite "Faulk" phrases.

"That's what I'm Faulking talking about!!"
"Faulk Yeah!!!"
"That was a Faulking awesome goal!!"

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I was reading up on some reaction to his All-Star selection, and I found this funny. He was asked where he'd liked to be picked in the All-Star draft:

"Last....That's the one that gets a car, right? Yeah, definitely last."

:laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was reading up on some reaction to his All-Star selection, and I found this funny. He was asked where he'd liked to be picked in the All-Star draft:

"Last....That's the one that gets a car, right? Yeah, definitely last."

:laugh:

That is fantastic. **** pride, give me the free car.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Future captain, tbh

ice_cube_wtf.gif

bluedevil58*

+/- is a -15. Time to trade him. He obviously cannot play solid defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad