Confirmed with Link: Justin Braun traded to NY Rangers for 2023 3rd round pick ('23)

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Imagine having the job security to go through this type of season and only adding picks in drafts 1-2 years out. He's going to be here for a very long time. We might be looking at a Dave Poile/Doug Wilson type of scenario here as long as Clarke and Homer are breathing.
i think Scott and Comcast are the only people in the world who can stop this mess. And they are clueless and only look about the money. Now with Covid isnt a factor anymore (really ever wasnt a factor, but they wanted to see it that way). Next season they will run out of arguments. And i think we have a chance that Scott is forced to do anything! We can only pray he does the right things!

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i think Scott and Comcast are the only people in the world who can stop this mess. And they are clueless and only look about the money. Now with Covid isnt a factor anymore (really ever wasnt a factor, but they wanted to see it that way). Next season they will run out of arguments. And i think we have a chance that Scott is forced to do anything! We can only pray he does the right things!

Scott is still being advise by Clarke & Homer so dont hold your breath.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
How many times have we heard Chuck-haters ignore reality in order to take a shot at him?

Even Russ Joy, who is anti-Chuck, acknowledged reality.
Chuck doesn't do anything well. That's all there is to it.

There's nothing we can go "But he's really good at ________" when we think he's being dopey.

We only have a chance as a franchise when Clarke/Homer go & Chuck goes

Or if the NHL spontaneously decides to make the team an uncapped one again, but Comcast prob wouldn't even spend the money so who cares

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
"Chuck haters" give me a break. Chuck is hated because he's done nothing to earn respect or adoration from this fanbase. I think many here (myself included, admittedly) were willing to give him a chance, if not even the benefit of the doubt his first year or two here (perhaps against better judgment). But he's earned every bit of ill will he gets. He bleeds value in trades, can't evaluate talent for shit, gives away assets for nothing to clear space for worse shit, doubles down on his mistakes, clearly can't negotiate to save his life, I'm sure I'm missing much more but that's off the top of my head. He has no idea how to build a team, his strategy consists of rearranging chairs on the Titanic and dumpster diving the waiver wire. He's a yes man who only has this job because of his ties to Clarke and only became a gm at all because of his dad. He's taken the promising roster and cupboard Hextall left him and burned it to the ground in less than half a decade. He's a loser who has never come close to sniffing NHL success.

"But Hextall" I can hear now. Hextall was far from perfect and even I grew tired of his surplus of patience and loyalty to Hak. But you know why Flyers fans were generally more receptive to him? He had a clear VISION. Build through the draft gradually, add the finishing pieces later. We saw the beginnings of the latter, perhaps a bit too late, when he pursued Stastny and eventually signed JVR in 2018. Unfortunately he never got to finish his vision and his shunning of the old boys club cost him. Yes, Hextall made his missteps and not every move was a good one, but he also did a lot of good for a team that had no cupboard to speak of and left a pretty full one for his successor. Unfortunately we are right back to square one, right down to the bloated unmovable contracts and cap hell.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
"Chuck haters" give me a break. Chuck is hated because he's done nothing to earn respect or adoration from this fanbase. I think many here (myself included, admittedly) were willing to give him a chance, if not even the benefit of the doubt his first year or two here (perhaps against better judgment). But he's earned every bit of ill will he gets. He bleeds value in trades, can't evaluate talent for shit, gives away assets for nothing to clear space for worse shit, doubles down on his mistakes, clearly can't negotiate to save his life, I'm sure I'm missing much more but that's off the top of my head. He has no idea how to build a team, his strategy consists of rearranging chairs on the Titanic and dumpster diving the waiver wire. He's a yes man who only has this job because of his ties to Clarke and only became a gm at all because of his dad. He's taken the promising roster and cupboard Hextall left him and burned it to the ground in less than half a decade. He's a loser who has never come close to sniffing NHL success.

"But Hextall" I can hear now. Hextall was far from perfect and even I grew tired of his surplus of patience and loyalty to Hak. But you know why Flyers fans were generally more receptive to him? He had a clear VISION. Build through the draft gradually, add the finishing pieces later. We saw the beginnings of the latter, perhaps a bit too late, when he pursued Stastny and eventually signed JVR in 2018. Unfortunately he never got to finish his vision and his shunning of the old boys club cost him. Yes, Hextall made his missteps and not every move was a good one, but he also did a lot of good for a team that had no cupboard to speak of and left a pretty full one for his successor. Unfortunately we are right back to square one, right down to the bloated unmovable contracts and cap hell.
Hextall’s “vision” was an abject failure. When your grand strategy is to focus on the draft, you can’t have as many draft misses as Hextall.

Reactions: phil162888

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall wasn't an "abject failure." He didn't execute as well as he should have, but he did find some good young talent with more on the way - just not enough.
And he wasn't willing to blow it up even if they would have let him do so.

Fletcher/Flahr are probably drafting better than Hextall, while it's early, York is looking like a top 4 D-man, Brink is the best player in college at age 20, Attard is a late bloomer who has followed up a great USHL season with a very good college career, their 2020 draft is looking up with Foerster, Andrae, Wisdom, Desnoyers and McClennon. Even last year with Kolosov, Sampson, McLaughlin and Avon has a chance to be solid.

Problem is if you want a bias for action and a wheeler/dealer GM, Fletcher ain't your man - should have hired Rutherford. :naughty:

However, if Fletcher can convince Scott to finally "reload," and accept a couple down years and go with the kids, he has the right organizational focus, and would go for a developmentally oriented HC - but if Holmgren is the devil in Scott's ear, look for a Dino HC and trades for veterans. If Fletcher wins out, look for him to get promoted up the ladder and Briere to take over, and a continued focus on scouting, development and analytics. If they hire someone like Torts, well, he lost the war.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I'm told that Justin Braun, when acquired, was acquired for the standard rate of a Veteran RHD. That was a 2nd and a 3rd.

Cuck only manged to get a 3rd.

So did he overpay originally when he bought, or did he get bent over the barrel when he sold? And please dont tell me the markey Changed. Ben chariot got a 1st++ and Jeremy Freakin Lauzon got a 2nd.

I can't quote from a locked thread, but another poster did the legwork on this for you already on defenseman values at the trade deadline.

deadhead said:
Defensemen go for a premium,
Savard got a 1, 3 and 4 from TB's GM.
Coburn got a 1, 3 and Gudas (off a knee injury) and he was on the 3rd pair in TB.
The corpse of Kimmo got (2) 2nd rd picks.
Even AMac got a 2nd and 3rd.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Hate Fletcher all you want. What I scoff at is the implication that Hextall was better by people who constantly complain about Fletcher. Hextall was horrible.

I'm asking you: What does Fletcher do well? What does he do that has you defending him for some reason? This is completely independent of Hextall.

What does Fletcher do well.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I seem to be confused here. What does Chuck Fletcher have to do with Ron Hextall? Both were incredibly flawed GM's. Fletch is the dinosaur crony type that's stuck in a forgotten era of the game, whereas Hextall was too chicken shit to do much of anything in fear of making the wrong move. Neither deserves to be the top guy of an NHL organization.

Despite all that, Fletch actually exceeded my low expectations of him with this one. I was expecting a 5th, so I guess a 3rd in 2023 is kind of alright.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Is this what Flyers fans have come to now? Fighting as to which pile of garbage (Hextall vs Fletcher) was more stinkier?

Hextall was "Mr. Next Year", scared to pull the trigger (big move or firing the coach) and with no real endpoint and created an extremely toxic culture around him.

Fletcher is just a boring bad GM with no real plan and is always the bridemaid in a trade with any GM no matter the circumstance.

Just pathetic.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Pining for Hextall?

Because Weise, Umberger, JVR, Hakstok, Patrick, Rubtsov, O’Brien, Frost, Ratcliffe, Lehtera, Filppula, Laberge, Ginning, Ghost extension, Neuvirth extension…. what a 5-year legacy.

Better than Fletcher's so far, which involves all the negatives without any of the positives; you elected to leave out the positives in that list, while Fletcher has none to even list.. The Ghost extension was a positive, by the way. As he is proving yet again. Oh, and suddenly Hakstok is bad? The guy you defended for years and insisted would eventually prove he is a good coach over time when fired?

The complete lack of nuance in your arguments is hilarious. Did you know that it's possible for both Hextall and Fletcher to be failures, but for Fletcher to be an even worse failure? Fletcher failing doesn't make Hextall's tenure a smash hit, that's a false dichotomy you have dreamed up and tried to strawman onto everyone else.

Last edited:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Is this what Flyers fans have come to now? Fighting as to which pile of garbage (Hextall vs Fletcher) was more stinkier?

Hextall was "Mr. Next Year", scared to pull the trigger (big move or firing the coach) and with no real endpoint and created an extremely toxic culture around him.

Fletcher is just a boring bad GM with no real plan and is always the bridemaid in a trade with any GM no matter the circumstance.

Just pathetic.
There’s no fighting or debating it. One is clearly inferior to the other. Not sure why you’re so rattled about it.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad