Justin Bourne hypocrisy?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Does anyone else find it a bit unsettling that Bournie is always pushing his book about his fight with his addiction to alcohol, but then turns around and blankets twitter (and his podcast) with gambling content?

The amount of gambling content around Leafs media is just insane right now.
Gambling is worse than alcohol,.especially for ones bank accoint and the health of others around them. These guys are promoting a vice that will leave many young people penniless in their retirement years.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
For the record, I like Bournie's takes and enjoy listening to him talk hockey. I just hate this aspect - promoting gambling after writing a book on addiction.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I see the irony, but it's not Bourne's fault that gambling is such a huge sponsor of sports media right now. The blame for that lies elsewhere.

Reactions: ToneDog

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bourne seems like class act. Gambling is everywhere right now so I don't blame him for cashing-in on that wave/ I doubt he even has a say in some of the sponsorships.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Does anyone else find it a bit unsettling that Bournie is always pushing his book about his fight with his addiction to alcohol, but then turns around and blankets twitter (and his podcast) with gambling content?

You so missed a great opportunity to parody the Jason Bourne Movies in your subject line...

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
You so missed a great opportunity to parody the Jason Bourne Movies in your subject line...
THE BOURNE HYPOCRISY

Jesus Christ, that's Justin Bourne

1682019564169.png

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bourne seems like class act. Gambling is everywhere right now so I don't blame him for cashing-in on that wave/ I doubt he even has a say in some of the sponsorships.
Mitch, Matty, 97, 99, Jesse Pinkham, Cabbie, Weekes all cashing in. Show me the money.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Anyone else old enough to remember the moralistic tone Bet-man took over gambling back in the 1990's? The league was publicly against the Ontario lottery corp's scammy proline betting service. Turns it that it was never a moral or integrity issue. It was always about the NHL being able to wet its own beak with that sweet lucre of sports wagering.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Like Steve Gamble, Justin Bourne is a grifter of the highest order. Personally, I am sick and tired of these elite former athletes publishing their sob stories of alcoholism and addiction. Nobody put a gun to your head and said pour yourself another drink.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he wants to work, must push the corporate agenda, which is hand-in-glove the agenda of the betting sponsors. Notice the in-your-face bizarre reffing decisions in all sports these couple years? Take the past Tuesday evening, for example. So blatant its called out by most fans and ESPN hockey panel (but not local SN and TSN talking heads). Gambling's pervasive criminality is a real thing in pro sports now.

To wit: by law, the NFL is registered as a "sports entertainment" business entity, the same as WWE wrestling. That means the outcomes can be fixed and there are no legal repercussions.

The outcomes can't be fixed though not really.

Because unlike the WWE, and professional wrestling in general where everybody involved knows what it is and agrees to it, you aren't getting an entire team, of hockey players, football players, basketball players, baseball players whatever it is, to agree to throw a game or series.

That's not going to happen, you are not going to get an entire team to agree to "do the job."

Not today anyway, maybe in the 20's not now.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

I agree with you about the massive amounts of gambling content there is now, but I can't really speak for Bourne blanketing. There is always some kind of personal integrity one must eat up to work with Rogers, etc.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
I don't know who Justin Bourne is but the gambling advertising is a bit much, a lot a bit much.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I imagine he has to if he wants to work there.

If anyone reading this has anything to do with gambling segments in podcasts, know that I skip them every single time. Case in point the SDPN pods, every time they have Dave Bastul on in his sponsored segments I immediately skip them. I do not give a figg the odds.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Like Steve Gamble, Justin Bourne is a grifter of the highest order. Personally, I am sick and tired of these elite former athletes publishing their sob stories of alcoholism and addiction. Nobody put a gun to your head and said pour yourself another drink.

Oof. What a bad take.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
I tend to believe Prohibition tends to be a bad approach that fuels organized crime but there is a reason the companies are pushing gambling in this market so hard... They are bankrupting Ontarians in the middle of a economic downturn and running to the bank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad