Justin Bourne hypocrisy?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Does anyone else find it a bit unsettling that Bournie is always pushing his book about his fight with his addiction to alcohol, but then turns around and blankets twitter (and his podcast) with gambling content?

The amount of gambling content around Leafs media is just insane right now.

Large base. Very loyal. Accept poor officiating (effective rigging) and are willing to drop big money on their team. Isn't that a dream for sports betting operations?

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
If he wants to work, must push the corporate agenda, which is hand-in-glove the agenda of the betting sponsors. Notice the in-your-face bizarre reffing decisions in all sports these couple years? Take the past Tuesday evening, for example. So blatant its called out by most fans and ESPN hockey panel (but not local SN and TSN talking heads). Gambling's pervasive criminality is a real thing in pro sports now.

To wit: by law, the NFL is registered as a "sports entertainment" business entity, the same as WWE wrestling. That means the outcomes can be fixed and there are no legal repercussions.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he wants to work, must push the corporate agenda, which is hand-in-glove the agenda of the betting sponsors. Notice the in-your-face bizarre reffing decisions in all sports these couple years? Take the past Tuesday evening, for example. So blatant its called out by most fans and ESPN hockey panel (but not local SN and TSN talking heads). Gambling's pervasive criminality is a real thing in pro sports now.

To wit: by law, the NFL is registered as a "sports entertainment" business entity, the same as WWE wrestling. That means the outcomes can be fixed and there are no legal repurcussions.

The insanity of it all is in having the ability to be both Sports Entertainment and also party to Sports betting. At that point the executive branch of the "sport" could both rig the match and notify "friends" or lobbyists, foreign agents, mafia etc and effectively transfer money while defrauding unwitting gamblers.

It's off the charts bad.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
The insanity of it all is in having the ability to be both Sports Entertainment and also party to Sports betting. At that point the executive branch of the "sport" could both rig the match and notify "friends" or lobbyists, foreign agents, mafia etc and effectively transfer money while defrauding unwitting gamblers.

It's off the charts bad.
Hmm, wonder why general civil, criminal, and business law courses are not mandatory in high school...

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

It's pervasive.

If you were to track all the references to sports gambling during a typical NHL game it would almost certainly be on the order of 2+ hours out of 3-hour broadcast (that includes logos, commercials, board overlays, betting analysis - 30+ minutes of Cabbie alone which is its own kind of hell, commercials, etc.).

Now even shows like Overdrive are sponsored by a gambling site with a logo over the shows' own for TV audiences. If you watch sports in any capacity you literally can't escape it. And that's the shame of it, the blatant greed of shoving it down viewers throats then, in fine print, remind us to bet responsibly. Appalling.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

It's off the charts bad.

lmao

If you want to rig a match, you do low level Tennis or like 5th division soccer. There is no world where a league as big as the NFL would risk something like this for peanuts.

Reactions: Kurtz

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Almost like the guy's just a grifter. I know this can be an unpopular opinion but since when have I cared about that: famous athletes/celebrities promoting addicting activities are low lifes. Ex-hockey players pushing gambling sites, figure skaters/celebrities promoting reverse mortgages, the people who make entertainment lionizing waster drug addicts, the people who make a living pushing outrage clickbait in media, etc.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I mean gambling sites are the biggest sponsors going right now. I don’t think it’s hypocritical. He also has to do what he needs to do to be successful for himself. It is crazy that gambling has taken over sports media. I skip that part on every podcast I listen to.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
lmao

If you want to rig a match, you do low level Tennis or like 5th division soccer. There is no world where a league as big as the NFL would risk something like this for peanuts.
The Raptors as a team shot under 50% at the free throw line during an elimination game at home. No one seems all that suspicious about this unusual thing. I'm not saying it was fix by any means, who am I to say that, but see how easy it could be to put in the fix in a high profile pro sport?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
It's pervasive.

If you were to track all the references to sports gambling during a typical NHL game it would almost certainly be on the order of 2+ hours out of 3-hour broadcast (that includes logos, commercials, board overlays, betting analysis - 30+ minutes of Cabbie alone which is its own kind of hell, commercials, etc.).

Now even shows like Overdrive are sponsored by a gambling site with a logo over the shows' own for TV audiences. If you watch sports in any capacity you literally can't escape it. And that's the shame of it, the blatant greed of shoving it down viewers throats then, in fine print, remind us to bet responsibly. Appalling.

I literally can't find anything to add to this thread now, because this covers it all. Very well written.

It's a horrible reality.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

stats1

Jul 22, 2022

To wit: by law, the NFL is registered as a "sports entertainment" business entity, the same as WWE wrestling. That means the outcomes can be fixed and there are no legal repercussions.
Wasn’t there a retired NFL player recently on a podcast admitted that teams get their own script for the season, each game has a score and they basically treat it like the WWE where teams just play out what they’re told. I dunno if any of that is true but it would definitely go with the whole “sports entertainment” registered trademark.

I just find it hard to believe refs just “miss calls” Eric Staal got elbowed in the face last night and a replay showed a ref looking right at it and just decided not to call anything. It’s just so obvious that games are not officiated anymore they are managed’ you hear a lot about “game management” it’s not about making the right call or making sure each infraction gets called. They just out there with the ideal script and game managing.

Reactions: Azazel

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Does anyone else find it a bit unsettling that Bournie is always pushing his book about his fight with his addiction to alcohol, but then turns around and blankets twitter (and his podcast) with gambling content?

Nothing good comes from gaming in general .. it tends to create corruption at its core .. people trying to get something for nothing .. this is all due to Bettman/Jacobs generating more money for leagues poorer teams

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
With betting now taking over sports are going to become like Euro soccer leagues and Chinese basketball where it gets so bad teams get caught fixing games or what we probably have now, where the league directs series in a certain way. I can’t with an honest heart believe Wes MCauley is officiating this series without any type of bias towards Keefe and the Leafs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Wasn’t there a retired NFL player recently on a podcast admitted that teams get their own script for the season, each game has a score and they basically treat it like the WWE where teams just play out what they’re told. I dunno if any of that is true but it would definitely go with the whole “sports entertainment” registered trademark.

I just find it hard to believe refs just “miss calls” Eric Staal got elbowed in the face last night and a replay showed a ref looking right at it and just decided not to call anything. It’s just so obvious that games are not officiated anymore they are managed’ you hear a lot about “game management” it’s not about making the right call or making sure each infraction gets called. They just out there with the ideal script and game managing.

Lol he was joking and being sarcastic. Adrian Foster was messing with people, because it’s ridiculous to think any sports league has a script the teams follow. He was poking fun at that notion

• Haha
Reactions: Kurtz and ACC1224

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

There's some very bold claims above. First that "sports entertainment" is some sort of a legal label. Second that this label removes culpability with a league creating fixed outcomes. Is there any where I can find further legal information regarding this? My guess is that all liabilities are waived by the event attendees buried in a long disclaimer on their tickets regarding no guarantees for the result of the event. And otherwise there is no agreement with unpaid viewers of the event so any pro sports league could theoretically openly fix results (notwithstanding powerful booking interests external to the leagues) regardless of being called sports entertainment or not.

Reactions: Azazel

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
The Raptors as a team shot under 50% at the free throw line during an elimination game at home. No one seems all that suspicious about this unusual thing. I'm not saying it was fix by any means, who am I to say that, but see how easy it could be to put in the fix in a high profile pro sport?
These players already make millions. It would take millions more to make it worth their while to fix a game, and then tens of millions more in bets by the fixers, in which case the major betting houses are set up to investigate a sudden anomaly in betting patterns. The fixers also have to trust that a player doesn't get cold feet and blows the whistle on them.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

"Gambling is good now."

Gambling advertising will be put on ice too due to addiction issues eventually.
Not this time. The "good for society" types have been purged from power long ago.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies

I hope the fans of this team make clear to these gambling companies and those utilizing their apps, that this sport is too fixed to allow any reasonable gambling standard.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007

f*** no. I'll never find anything about a recovered alcoholic unsettling. Guaranteed he'd be the first to help out any random twitter user who reaches out to him with a real gambling problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad