Player Discussion Justin Barron (recalled 2024-04-06)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's not like he was a can’t miss prospect, he's younger than Xhekaj and Harris and barely older than Guhle.

Just saying, he's had some good moments and some not good moments, he's searching for consistency like most young Dmen his age are.

He's played the equivalent of a full NHL season over 3 years, do we have that much intel?

I don't think so..
We have decent intel compared to what he was perceived as when acquired — based on your stated premise.

He just seems like a clunky, headless giraffe — a little uncoordinated, like someone who had just grown into his body.

Maybe he’s not progressing as quickly relative to others in the same age/ experience continuum and some fans are growing impatient. Just seems to stagnate right now, it may be just a confidence thing or maybe it’s deeper than that. Hard to tell.

Reactions: 417

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
At best he plateaued this season, at worse, he regressed. Not good signs in a developing prospect.

from Laval only, between last year and this year he looks to have regressed badly. He mostly looks like dogshit in Laval since he's been sent down. Some really, really terrible decisions at times. Another one I wish they didn't put in the NHL so quickly.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We have decent intel compared to what he was perceived as when acquired — based on your stated premise.

He just seems like a clunky, headless giraffe — a little uncoordinated, like someone who had just grown into his body.

Maybe he’s not progressing as quickly relative to others in the same age/ experience continuum and some fans are growing impatient. Just seems to stagnate right now, it may be just a confidence thing or maybe it’s deeper than that. Hard to tell.
That's fair, i’m weary of calling it for young DMen especially, it's a hard position to play and the collective performance of the entire d corps probably hasn't helped.

It would be premature to throw in the towel at this point, not that you were suggesting that mind you.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
from Laval only, between last year and this year he looks to have regressed badly. He mostly looks like dogshit in Laval since he's been sent down. Some really, really terrible decisions at times. Another one I wish they didn't put in the NHL so quickly.
Yes. Hes been very bad, and probably disinterested too. Barron was mismanaged from the moment he was drafted IMO, good ol' Scherback development path. I think he's pretty much busted already, he was looking like a NHL regular last year and then yo-yo'd him.

I really need to start seeing soemthing from JFH.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Barron has played 85 games with the Habs, he's got 29pts in those games.

It would be odd to think they would just give up on him. It doesn't mean he's untouchable but there's really no reason to feel differently about him today than when they acquired him .
He's not waiver exempt next year, so they won't be able to send him down. Trading him proactively isn't the same as giving up on a player. I don't think the Habs gave up on Romanov, they just traded him.

I certainly don't know what they'll do, but the time is fast approaching where they'll have to make a decision regarding him. He also needs a new contract. So it's decision time for Barron.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Beaulieu also was a former 1st rounder, a smooth skater as well, and I'd rather re-sign him than play Barron. Draft pedigree isn't going to hold any water once he's waiver eligible. That's for sure.
I would give Barron a lot of rope. We gave up a real good hockey player for him

The Fisherman

Jul 15, 2019
He's going to be given another year to establish himself. He's a right shot so we're going to exhaust his potential before giving up. People including him as a throw in on a trade are crazy. Patience is needed. Development isn't linear

Reactions: 417

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

He's going to be given another year to establish himself. He's a right shot so we're going to exhaust his potential before giving up. People including him as a throw in on a trade are crazy. Patience is needed. Development isn't linear
He really needs to show some leadership and lead this Laval team.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Personally I think he gets passed by Mailloux & Reinbacher, so next year he'll be waived sooner than later. Then I'm not sure how he's going to get another chance.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Personally I think he gets passed by Mailloux & Reinbacher, so next year he'll be waived sooner than later. Then I'm not sure how he's going to get another chance.
Both are not NHL ready(yet). Is possible for Mailloux to be called up after next year TDL (2025). Give Barron one more year. if he does not progress, trade him.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Both are not NHL ready(yet). Is possible for Mailloux to be called up after next year TDL (2025). Give Barron one more year. if he does not progress, trade him.
I would not hold Mailloux or Reinbacher in the AHL, just because Barron needs one more chance.

He started his development in Colorado, came with us on a shorten leash for sure, and unfortunately, he needs to put up now. Not suck in the AHL for whatever reason. I hope he gets it. We should recall him after the TDL right?

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
When I think of Barron's game, I think of bird poop.
Yea I've never been a fan of his game. I got no problem trading him.

I remember last year I was playing COD and randomly teamed up with a AHL ref in duos. He just finished reffing a Laval game so I asked him what he thought of Barron.

His reply was "I'm not a fan" lol

Reactions: KKWG11

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think 3rd liner. Speedy two way guy. Career year or two might be 2nd liner. But doubt he's top 6 averaged out. I don't see hands in Newhook to be top 6. Certainly not on good team. Roy has more upside to me.smarter player

Do you know what Newhook has produced at per 82 games so far as a Hab, largely playing out of position, with lesser talent than Dach, and coming off a high ankle sprain, at only 22 years old?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We have an abundance of young blueliners and some are going to be packaged together and dealt. If Barron isn’t in our plans then he’ll be one of them.

Still extremely young and lots of potential. Teams will be interested.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think 3rd liner. Speedy two way guy. Career year or two might be 2nd liner. But doubt he's top 6 averaged out. I don't see hands in Newhook to be top 6. Certainly not on good team. Roy has more upside to me.smarter player
Can't say I agree with this one at all. Roy has not proved that at all this early.
Still early for both players, but I see Newhook far and away right now, closer to be a top 6 player.
Can this change, for sure..............

As for Barron, far too many of you guys are giving up on him, far too early.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I think he was ready and didn’t need Laval. His recent struggles are on him 100%. He was good enough last year to start this year and he didn’t take it as seriously or whatever it may be mentally. I wouldn’t blame management for once lol. He needs to stay there or be traded but I’d wait on that

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Can't say I agree with this one at all. Roy has not proved that at all this early.
Still early for both players, but I see Newhook far and away right now, closer to be a top 6 player.
Can this change, for sure..............

As for Barron, far too many of you guys are giving up on him, far too early.

True, he is only 22 but not waiver exempt next season i believe... he's gonna have a hard time cracking this D line up at camp so we might lose him for nothing

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad