Player Discussion Justin Barron (recalled 2024-04-06)

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Montreal's drafted 8+ players for 6 straight drafts already. I'm not sure why they'd be less patient with a Barron than they would pretty much any player they've drafted over that span of time.
Reinbacher, Mailloux and ... If they go BPA at 7th overall, good chances Parekh. The bigger the waiting line, the faster its end gets cleared.

There's Konyushkov also, in the maybes? Kostenko? Sobolev? Less chances of seeing them sure.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Reinbacher, Mailloux and ... If they go BPA at 7th overall, good chances Parekh. The bigger the waiting line, the faster its end gets cleared.

Does anyone seriously think that Montreal's going to be graduating 3-4 additional 18-21 year old D-men next offseason? Even for HFBoards, that's wild.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
No, but it doesn't help Barron's cause and if we can get a good return now, instead of nothing later, then the patience grows thinner.

...there's a difference between get a good return now and waive him. The former is rational and in line with Hughes comments of using young D depth to address holes elsewhere and the latter is impatience.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
...there's a difference between get a good return now and waive him. The former is rational and in line with Hughes comments of using young D depth to address holes elsewhere and the latter is impatience.
They'll be force to waive him after another complete season or 73 more games. If they have to waive him after this, I'd think it's more being overly patient. Impatience is really if they decide to trade him before then imho. Like they've seen enough and won't bother seeing more, even though the guy is waiver exempt.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
They'll be force to waive him after another complete season or 73 more games. If they have to waive him after this, I'd think it's more being overly patient. Impatience is really if they decide to trade him before then imho. Like they've seen enough and won't bother seeing more, even though the guy is waiver exempt.

That's next training camp. You think they're being overly patient when half of his cohort haven't played meaningful NHL games and half of the ones who have haven't been better than him?

durojean

May 29, 2007
All that hype for '22 trade deadline not much came of it. The first picks ended up Mesar and 31st overall. Prospects Barron, Heineman not really worked out.
It still is too soon to tell. It is not looking great but we should not give up on prospect this quick.

Reactions: Hansman

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
That's next training camp. You think they're being overly patient when half of his cohort haven't played meaningful NHL games and half of the ones who have haven't been better than him?
If it comes to waiving him yes. Just like they are way too patient with Ylonen.

Edit: Notice how Ylonen's worth is tending towards 0.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Ylonen's worth was never that high in the first place.. people have to understand that every organization has their Ylonen's and they'd rather bet on their own than get someone elses.

It made sense to continue to develop Ylonen this year, unfortunately, Ylonen has regressed rather than progressed. Which happens.

Barron will hold value because he's a former 1st rounder and he's a smooth skating, young, right shot defenseman.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Ylonen's worth was never that high in the first place.. people have to understand that every organization has their Ylonen's and they'd rather bet on their own than get someone elses.

It made sense to continue to develop Ylonen this year, unfortunately, Ylonen has regressed rather than progressed. Which happens.

Barron will hold value because he's a former 1st rounder and he's a smooth skating, young, right shot defenseman.

I think Ylonen hasn't regressed, but rather has progressed in his own way.

He's much more involved physically after bulking up this summer. I though it would take longer to see him involved like this. And he's much more assertive. The problem is he hasn't learned how to be assertive with the puck and not turn it over. Can he ever learn to do that? I don't know. I'm willing to give him ice time to see if he can figure it out, since we're tanking and rebuilding.

Also, he hasn't produced. But in that dimension, again I want to see him get more time, and with offensive players. Just getting a regular shift on a 3rd line, with a good 3c like Monahan and even an RHp on the other side would be more conducive to seeing any potential offense than playing with Evan's and Pearson.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Beaulieu also was a former 1st rounder, a smooth skater as well, and I'd rather re-sign him than play Barron. Draft pedigree isn't going to hold any water once he's waiver eligible. That's for sure.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

If you're comparing it to Ylonen, then wait one or two years or pick a lower floor/upside/pedigree D prospect. If they're being too patient with Barron right now, then they're being too patient with Struble, Xhekaj and Harris. Frankly, by that standard you could argue they're too patient with Guhle.

Reactions: mdk

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
If you're comparing it to Ylonen, then wait one or two years or pick a lower floor/upside/pedigree D prospect. If they're being too patient with Barron right now, then they're being too patient with Struble, Xhekaj and Harris. Frankly, by that standard you could argue they're too patient with Guhle.
Struble, Harris, Guhle and Xhekaj are sticking in the NHL. Ylonen is only there because they don't want to waive him. That's overly patient and not really helping the team or Ylonen.

I see Barron will be eligible straight from the beginning as the amount of games he played this season counts as a full season. If they do the same as they're doing for Ylonen, then my opinion is: Overly partient. If they waive him straight from the start and no teams claim him, waiting for him to do anything in the AHL is overly patient as well. That happens because teams' rosters are usually full at the beginning of the season.

Once a player can hit the waiver-wire, and can't secure a spot in the NHL, you need to think about building with alternatives. You can be more patient if you have a stable lineup, like the Red Wings some time ago. In a rebuild though, you're looking for solutions, and the more prospects you look at, the better.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Struble, Harris, Guhle and Xhekaj are sticking in the NHL. Ylonen is only there because they don't want to waive him. That's overly patient and not really helping the team or Ylonen.

I see Barron will be eligible straight from the beginning as the amount of games he played this season counts as a full season. If they do the same as they're doing for Ylonen, then my opinion is: Overly partient. If they waive him straight from the start and no teams claim him, waiting for him to do anything in the AHL is overly patient as well. That happens because teams' rosters are usually full at the beginning of the season.

Once a player can hit the waiver-wire, and can't secure a spot in the NHL, you need to think about building with alternatives. You can be more patient if you have a stable lineup, like the Red Wings some time ago. In a rebuild though, you're looking for solutions, and the more prospects you look at, the better.

Stuble, Harris and Xhekaj haven't played at a "sticking in the NHL" level. Xhekaj is starting to get there (after being sent to the AHL mind you). For that matter, Guhle hasn't really shown he can be more than adequate in the role he's in.

Montreal has one of the youngest roster in the NHL. Maybe the youngest. They do have the youngest D core in the NHL. If you're already saying that one of the youngest guys to play significant NHL minutes on D isn't it, then you're frankly missing where the team is at.

Reactions: mdk

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Stuble, Harris and Xhekaj haven't played at a "sticking in the NHL" level. Xhekaj is starting to get there (after being sent to the AHL mind you). For that matter, Guhle hasn't really shown he can be more than adequate in the role he's in.

Montreal has one of the youngest roster in the NHL. Maybe the youngest. They do have the youngest D core in the NHL. If you're already saying that one of the youngest guys to play significant NHL minutes on D isn't it, then you're frankly missing where the team is at.
What no.. I disagree. Guhle is a NHLer and will remain so until the end of his career. It's an easy bet to make.

You want to see Barron in the NHL again, you'll have to cross fingers that they recall him after the TDL is passed. The guy is just too slow for the NHL. That is obvious when he plays it, unlike Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj. That said Harris sticking to the NHL is because we like cheap #7s, so I suppose we'll be overly patient with him also, unless Hutson pushes him over eh?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What no.. I disagree. Guhle is a NHLer and will remain so until the end of his career. It's an easy bet to make.

You want to see Barron in the NHL again, you'll have to cross fingers that they recall him after the TDL is passed. The guy is just too slow for the NHL. That is obvious when he plays it, unlike Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj. That said Harris sticking to the NHL is because we like cheap #7s, so I suppose we'll be overly patient with him also, unless Hutson pushes him over eh?
Barron had a good streak at some point in the seaon this year. I hope he can figure it out and get back to that - if only so he has some trade value and we can move him for a good forward prospect like Kakko, Turcotte, Silinger, Johnson, etc...

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Barron had a good streak at some point in the seaon this year. I hope he can figure it out and get back to that - if only so he has some trade value and we can move him for a good forward prospect like Kakko, Turcotte, Silinger, Johnson, etc...
I doubt that. He needs to become a regular in the NHL.

Unless you know a GM who just loooves him. I know one .. KH :laugh:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Harris looked good last night, he's fast and effective. If he were more physical he'd be a keeper, as it is he's fine for the regular season but probably a #7 in the playoffs. Tomas Tatar lite on D.

Harris sort of emphasizes how far the habs are from contention. First you have to be big, tough, and skilled enough to get through a bunch of 7 game series with minimal reffing plus have depth to cope with the resulting injuries. Then you have to be good enough that you can also make the playoffs in a regular season with different rule interpretations playing different teams every night. The habs aren't a team built for the playoffs yet and they can't win in the regular season.

Reactions: vokiel

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I doubt that. He needs to become a regular in the NHL.

Unless you know a GM who just loooves him. I know one .. KH :laugh:
We'll see how much kent Hughes loves him.

Next year I think we will go with 7D out of camp. So far going into next year, we'll have 8 NHLers plus Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, and Trudeau in the NHL chomping at the bit to get a call up.

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Barron
Harris - Kovacevic

We'll see which one or two of these 8 will be traded. Barron could be one of them.

Reactions: vokiel

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It's tough to know from the outside what the team thinks about Barron long-term. If they are still high on him, they'll probably trade Savard or Kovacevic to make room for him next year. If they've lost faith in Barron they should probably trade him either at this week or at the draft.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's tough to know from the outside what the team thinks about Barron long-term. If they are still high on him, they'll probably trade Savard or Kovacevic to make room for him next year. If they've lost faith in Barron they should probably trade him either at this week or at the draft.
Barron has played 85 games with the Habs, he's got 29pts in those games.

It would be odd to think they would just give up on him. It doesn't mean he's untouchable but there's really no reason to feel differently about him today than when they acquired him .

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
"Another", who are the others, outside of 7th round pick Primeau, and those who had tons of injuries?

I mean sure, defensively there's tons of work to do. But offensively, Mailloux is 6th in points for dmen in the AHL, as a rookie. We're talking about a 20 years old who only played 75 games in the OHL + 21 playoff games (where he was more than PPG).

He was drafted 31st because he's always been a project (and the legal issues), but he's very far from a bust at this point.

It's a personality thing. It can improve, but it's not going to change radically.

Who's not stagnating on the Rocket ? Roy.

Mailloux is putting up points and his shot is the only thing that keeps him from busting outright, yes.

Sorry but I watch all Laval games and his D game has vastly improved.
I also watch a great majority of Lavals game, I was even at the place bell for their three last games played there. Mailloux doesn't look as good as he does on paper. Assuming its who youre talking about.

Improved because it was non-existant, yeah.
Trending towards bust territory???!!! Do you watch Laval games? He’s got some of the best stats as a rookie in the league! Definitely not bust territory. There’s no way you’re actually watching the games. The guy was a frickin all star!
Yes, I do, my guess is you DB scout. Being an all-star in the AHL doesn't mean he's got a future.

I'm not writing him off because he's very toolsy, but at this rate he's not going to make it as a positive contributor.
Mailloux is busting after 52 AHL games!? Leading rookie D in points!? My goodness lol.
He's trending towards, he's not busting.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
At best he plateaued this season, at worse, he regressed. Not good signs in a developing prospect.

Reactions: Tyson

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Barron has played 85 games with the Habs, he's got 29pts in those games.

It would be odd to think they would just give up on him. It doesn't mean he's untouchable but there's really no reason to feel differently about him today than when they acquired him .
Why wouldn’t there be a reason or reasons to feel differently about him? They do have more direct intel about him and he’s been demoted twice. He’s continuing to make brain dead plays in the AHL.

Is he a work in progress? Not sure what he is.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why wouldn’t there be a reason or reasons to feel differently about him? They do have more direct intel about him and he’s been demoted twice. He’s continuing to make brain dead plays in the AHL.

Is he a work in progress? Not sure what he is.
It's not like he was a can’t miss prospect, he's younger than Xhekaj and Harris and barely older than Guhle.

Just saying, he's had some good moments and some not good moments, he's searching for consistency like most young Dmen his age are.

He's played the equivalent of a full NHL season over 3 years, do we have that much intel?

I don't think so..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad