Prospect Info: Justin Barron

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think there will be other moves. Makes no sense to put Barron back in AHL.

Agree with you, though I think he'll have to cement his case come camp/pre-season.

If he isn't ready to take a big step forward, I could see them sending him back to Laval to start the year playing #1D minutes rather than 6-7 D spot in Montreal.

Reactions: Redux91

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I don't think he start in Laval to be honest. Its not impossible tho. Its make or break for him this year.

Guhle, Petry, Matheson, Barron, Xhekaj, Savard, Harris, Kovacevic

I think these are the 8 dmen we will see this season. I am not sure Barron is the odd man out if we start 7D.

Barron has to be a consistent middle pairing D from now on.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Didn't he mostly play with Matheson last season? I think it's still his spot to lose at camp, even if Petry stays. The only thing that might be affected is his PP time.

Petry likely pushes Kovacevic out of the lineup and helps to ease the burden on Savard.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Guhle-Petry
Matheson-Barron
Harris-Savard

Xhekaj-Kovacevic

- Wideman in Laval.

I would keep 8 defenceman to start the season and 13 forwards.
Is it just me, but is that not an impressive defensive unit? A good blend of size, mobility, skill and experience. If they keep Petry, our forwards develop incrementally and we get consistent NHL level goaltending this team should compete for the playoffs. Now wouldn’t that be interesting?

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is it just me, but is that not an impressive defensive unit. A good blend of size, mobility, skill and experience. If they keep Petry, our forwards develop incrementally and we get consistent NHL level goaltending this team should compete for the playoffs. Now wouldn’t that be interesting?

It depends on what we get out of Petry and Savard. If they play well it's a serviceable top 4. If they don't, it's not a playoff top 4.

But it looks like Hughes is at least trying to move Petry anyways.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Guhle-Petry
Matheson-Barron
Harris-Savard

Xhekaj-Kovacevic

- Wideman in Laval.

I would keep 8 defenceman to start the season and 13 forwards.
I doubt they keep Xhekaj up just to sit in the pressbox most nights. He's waiver exempt so would probably be sent down and then called up whenever injuries do occur. Same could be said for Barron as I'm not sure he's actually secured a spot, especially if we keep Petry.

My pairings would probably be
Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Petry
Harris-Xhekaj/Barron
Kovacevik

It's not an amazing D group as it's a weak top pairing, but the 2nd and 3rd pairing should be good.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
It depends on what we get out of Petry and Savard. If they play well it's a serviceable top 4. If they don't, it's not a playoff top 4.

But it looks like Hughes is at least trying to move Petry anyways.
My somewhat optimistic projection is based on our keeping Petry. If not, his 22-25 minutes will be replaced by Kovacevic and/or Xhejak. The drop off will cause us the bends. I am continually dismayed by the lack of respect for Petry's skills: both before he was traded and now. He isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago, but he's still an above average NHL defenceman who can play in all high leverage situations. With Matheson and Guhle in the line-up, we can shelter his minutes and maximize his remaining skills. Bottom line, we are a better team with Petry in the line-up than without him. In fact, Petry's skill set makes us a dangerous team.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My somewhat optimistic projection is based on our keeping Petry. If not, his 22-25 minutes will be replaced by Kovacevic and/or Xhejak. The drop off will cause us the bends. I am continually dismayed by the lack of respect for Petry's skills: both before he was traded and now. He isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago, but he's still an above average NHL defenceman who can play in all high leverage situations. With Matheson and Guhle in the line-up, we can shelter his minutes and maximize his remaining skills. Bottom line, we are a better team with Petry in the line-up than without him. In fact, Petry's skill set makes us a dangerous team.
The Petry of two years ago was very up and down. Would he have been able to be consistent with MSL? I think so. But even that Petry was 2 years ago. From what I've heard (I didn't see much) he didn't play well in Pittsburgh. But even that was last year. He's now yet another year older. He'll be 36 years old shortly into the season. Does that mean he can't be a good top 4? No. But to me it's not a given that he will be, given his age and recent up and down play.

I was a big fan of the old Petry. If the Bell Center had better protocol to let the camera men of the media be responsible for pluging in the holes they use in the glass to put their camera's through, Petry doesn't get hurt, and who knows how much of an impact that has on the cup finals series. Petry was a big part of that team, and having him playing with one hand was a big blow. I'm very high on Petry. Just not sure about what father time has done to him.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
The Petry of two years ago was very up and down. Would he have been able to be consistent with MSL? I think so. But even that Petry was 2 years ago. From what I've heard (I didn't see much) he didn't play well in Pittsburgh. But even that was last year. He's now yet another year older. He'll be 36 years old shortly into the season. Does that mean he can't be a good top 4? No. But to me it's not a given that he will be, given his age and recent up and down play.

I was a big fan of the old Petry. If the Bell Center had better protocol to let the camera men of the media be responsible for pluging in the holes they use in the glass to put their camera's through, Petry doesn't get hurt, and who knows how much of an impact that has on the cup finals series. Petry was a big part of that team, and having him playing with one hand was a big blow. I'm very high on Petry. Just not sure about what father time has done to him.
Noted. But we know what Mother Nature has done to Kovacevic and Wideman: they aren't NHL level defencemen.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Is it just me, but is that not an impressive defensive unit. A good blend of size, mobility, skill and experience. If they keep Petry, our forwards develop incrementally and we get consistent NHL level goaltending this team should compete for the playoffs. Now wouldn’t that be interesting?
It’s a pretty strong unit with help on the way. That’s why I was initially upset with the Reinbacher pick even though I like the player. Without Petry/Reinbacher that dcorp looks promising.

I’m bigger on Mailloux than Barron, so there’s another coming, along with Hutson. We need some help up front. I’m not sure who will be the odd man/men out when everyone graduates, but hopefully they have soMe value to upgrade our forwards which still suck as a group imo.

Reactions: HabzSauce

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I doubt they keep Xhekaj up just to sit in the pressbox most nights. He's waiver exempt so would probably be sent down and then called up whenever injuries do occur. Same could be said for Barron as I'm not sure he's actually secured a spot, especially if we keep Petry.

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Petry
Harris-Xhekaj/Barron
Kovacevik

It's not an amazing D group as it's a weak top pairing, but the 2nd and 3rd pairing should be good.
Gotta get Savard off that top pair. I like matheson/Petry there assuming we keep Petry which is looking less likely with every minute that passes without mentioning the acquisition.

Reactions: malcb33

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Gotta get Savard off that top pair. I like matheson/Petry there assuming we keep Petry which is looking less likely with every minute that passes without mentioning the acquisition.
I mean I totally agree that he isn't a top pairing guy, my thinking is more that the top pair will likely be overmatched whoever we put there so I want it to be a vet and not a young guy. And I went with Savard over Petry because I think Guhle would benefit more from being paired with Petry then Savard.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I've heard the analytics on the Guhle-Savard pair are significantly worse than Guhle-Harris and Guhle-Kovacevic. Not sure if how good the quality of the opposition is taken into account in those models. But they say a Guhle-Savard pair isn't good. Maybe Savard would be better with Matheson, or on the 3rd pair. If Savard isn't with Guhle, maybe Petry should be? I'd be interested to see which pair would be best for Petry's trade value, Matheson-Petry or Guhle-Petry.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
It’s a pretty strong unit with help on the way. That’s why I was initially upset with the Reinbacher pick even though I like the player. Without Petry/Reinbacher that dcorp looks promising.

I’m bigger on Mailloux than Barron, so there’s another coming, along with Hutson. We need some help up front. I’m not sure who will be the odd man/men out when everyone graduates, but hopefully they have soMe value to upgrade our forwards which still suck as a group imo.
I would agree. Other than Slafkovsky and Beck, our pool of forward prospects is somewhat underwhelming. But we are still in year two of an ongoing re-build. Patience is not only a virtue but in our case, a dire necessity.

Reactions: malcb33 and Tyson

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I've heard the analytics on the Guhle-Savard pair are significantly worse than Guhle-Harris and Guhle-Kovacevic. Not sure if how good the quality of the opposition is taken into account in those models. But they say a Guhle-Savard pair isn't good. Maybe Savard would be better with Matheson, or on the 3rd pair. If Savard isn't with Guhle, maybe Petry should be? I'd be interested to see which pair would be best for Petry's trade value, Matheson-Petry or Guhle-Petry.
I’m guessing an anyone-Savard pair isn’t good. He should be on the bottom pair.

Reactions: dcyhabs

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Mailloux and Barron just don’t seem top pairing good to me. Not impossible but Reinbacher really solidifies that group.

If all three of the righties hit then you can trade one easily for a forward.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Savard still good in his own end, it’s the rush that’s the problem. Keep him for dzone starts on third pair unless both Barron and Mailloux bust through or someone throws a bag for Petry.

Barron’s 47% goal differential vs decent competition should give him a long look. We need his offense, obviously. Unless they determine that was all Matheson.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Savard showed some flashes of his offense from Juniors last season, but we can't count on any of that, at his age. However, he's not bad once in the O-zone either.

Reactions: 26Mats

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Petry
Harris-Xhekaj/Barron
Kovacevik

Pretty soft D without Xhekaj.

Reactions: tinyzombies

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Personally, I'd prefer

Matheson- Petry (ask Petry to play a more safe, reserved game)
Guhle- Barron (great balance IMO)
Xhekaj- Savard (Bigger, bruising pair)

Harris- Kovacevic (Can rotate in on the bottom pair, Harris needs to play some games)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Personally, I'd prefer

Matheson- Petry (ask Petry to play a more safe, reserved game)
Guhle- Barron (great balance IMO)
Xhekaj- Savard (Bigger, bruising pair)

Harris- Kovacevic (Can rotate in on the bottom pair, Harris needs to play some games)
Me too if Barron or Mailloux (and X) is ready. That would mean we are a bubble team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad