Prospect Info: Justin Barron

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yes, he did.

I've never seen a player get so many excuses. There were people thinking he was better than Lehkonen up until Lehkonen was traded because points.

Drouin was the most hated and criticized habs player in the last several years. He's def not an example of a player that the fanbase has been patient with.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Drouin was the most hated and criticized habs player in the last several years. He's def not an example of a player that the fanbase has been patient with.

Disagree, he got endless rope. Every year there was something else he fixed and would become a star.

The hate only really started when he left the team for mental health reasons and they went on a run without him.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
What impressed me with Barron was how much he developed from the start of the season to the end of the season.

At the end of camp, he looked lost defensively. He was often chasing the wrong player, or not defending anyone at all. He got sent down, worked hard, came back with a much better understanding of the game positionally. He also seemed to adjust to the pace of the nhl game which he struggled with at the beginning of camp.

These development leaps are always a very good indicator. I would say he had the biggest development jump from young players after Dach (who seemed to get better literally every game). That's not to say he was the best rookie or young player. It's simple a statement about how much better his game got at the end of the season compared to beginning of it.

Also, 21 years old is SUPER young for a d-man. Only exceptional D-men find immediate success at such a young age. It takes a few years of seasoning before D-men really find their groove. This is actually fairly common knowledge around the nhl and I'm quite surprised by the impatience shown by some on this board.

Barron has great tools and showed the ability to learn and adjust as he gained experience. If there is one player who should get some rope and patience, it's him.

Only replying to say that this is a perfect take on Barron and his season last year.

Cheers Andy

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
I get that we drafted David Reinbacher a big RD at 5OA but this guy is getting very little love around here.

Unless he injures or has the sophomore curse, if he picks up where he left off last year I wouldn't put 40 points past him

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The interesting thing about Barron is that he's produced well despite missing so much time over the last 4 years, as he's played in 189 games which is about 47 a year, which of course at 18, 19, 20, 21 those are key years of development that you want to see them playing a ton of games/mins.

So when you see players progressing despite missing a large chunk of development time. (I would say if it were viewed as a lump sum, he's likely missed close to a 1 1/2 seasons out of the last 4) it shows promise that with more time/experience you hope they can keep it going once they start to figure more things out and gain confidence.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The interesting thing about Barron is that he's produced well despite missing so much time over the last 4 years, as he's played in 189 games which is about 47 a year, which of course at 18, 19, 20, 21 those are key years of development that you want to see them playing a ton of games/mins.

So when you see players progressing despite missing a large chunk of development time. (I would say if it were viewed as a lump sum, he's likely missed close to a 1 1/2 seasons out of the last 4) it shows promise that with more time/experience you hope they can keep it going once they start to figure more things out and gain confidence.
I agree with this. I thought Barron started the year very shakey and finished it strong. Confidence in the NHL requires games. Barron has done well given the injuries. Next season will be a key point in his development. I think we will have a good idea of what he will be next season. He is not out of the woods by any means.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Personally I really like RHD Barron‘s performance to date and his chemistry with Guhle is obvious. I had the privilege of watching him live as a jr. & he has outstanding leadership skills, skates well, has size, innate offensive qualities and sandpaper in his game. He is definitely a Covid causality regarding his development. I’m really not sure why some fans criticize this kid‘s play? He won’t be 22 until next season? If my humble opinion of Barron seems biased just search Joe Sakic, Sidney Crosby & Nate McKinnon’s take on the kid, they unanimously predict a long successful NHL career for this former 1st round pick.
I recall during the 2019 Memorial Cup. Halifax’s Barron holding his own Vs PA’s Guhle, Fonstad - Guelph’s Suzuki, Hillis, Schnarr, RN’s Harvey-Pinard, Teasdale, - all Habs prospects at one time. Cheers

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Must be a blow for him to see the Petry acquisition, looks like he'll be in the AHL this year which isn't the worst thing.

Guhle - Matheson
Savard - Petry
Harris - Xhekaj
Kova

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Personally I really like RHD Barron‘s performance to date and his chemistry with Guhle is obvious. I had the privilege of watching him live as a jr. & he has outstanding leadership skills, skates well, has size, innate offensive qualities and sandpaper in his game. He is definitely a Covid causality regarding his development. I’m really not sure why some fans criticize this kid‘s play? He won’t be 22 until next season? If my humble opinion of Barron seems biased just search Joe Sakic, Sidney Crosby & Nate McKinnon’s take on the kid, they unanimously predict a long successful NHL career for this former 1st round pick.
I recall during the 2019 Memorial Cup. Halifax’s Barron holding his own Vs PA’s Guhle, Fonstad - Guelph’s Suzuki, Hillis, Schnarr, RN’s Harvey-Pinard, Teasdale, - all Habs prospects at one time. Cheers

Hopefully he can find that sandpaper again. I mostly agree with your post but never saw that sandpaper.

Reactions: HabzSauce

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Hopefully he can find that sandpaper again. I mostly agree with your post but never saw that sandpaper.
Well he’s obviously not a WiFi brand of sandpaper, lol.
But in jr. he had no problem clearing the front of the net & using the body. However as a 21 yo D trying to make the team I’m sure he’s been instructed to focus on defensive responsibilities.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Matheson-Petry
Guhle - Savard

The bottom pairing is gonna be determined in training camp. Gonna be a serious competition.

Barron vs Kovacevic vs Harris vs Xhekaj

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Matheson-Petry
Guhle - Savard

The bottom pairing is gonna be determined in training camp. Gonna be a serious competition.

Barron vs Kovacevic vs Harris vs Xhekaj
We got Petry back?! Excellent!!! Boys better put on some extra sheen padding.

LOL.... HOLY F!!! We did get hims back. ROFLMAO!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

Jul 6, 2016
Must be a blow for him to see the Petry acquisition, looks like he'll be in the AHL this year which isn't the worst thing.

Guhle - Matheson
Savard - Petry
Harris - Xhekaj
Kova
Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Petry
Xhekaj- Barron or Kovy
Harris.

Habs will carry 8 d-men again.

Season 2024-25: Petry will be gone, and Mailloux will step up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad