Player Discussion Justin Barron (recalled 2024-04-06)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nothing weird about it the sooner Kovacevik is in his proper chair the better. I comprehend and disagree sorry.
There's nothing to disagree about really and your comprehension, or lack there of, from my posts is evident.

You keep thinking it's about me preferring or wanting Kovacevic or somehow thinking Kovacevic is anything more than a depth Dman...I don't think he's anything more than that.

It's about how Justin Barron isn't at the stage of his career where he can have a bad camp, but still be guaranteed a roster spot.

Like last year, he has to win a job, or like last year...risk being jumped over in the pecking order like he was by Harris/Xhekaj last year.

I'm praying he comes to camp and seizes the job...my 2023-24 line up had the following top 6Ds

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Harris/Xhkaj-Kovacevic

I'm a big Barron fan

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There's nothing to disagree about really and your comprehension, or lack there of, from my posts is evident.

You keep thinking it's about me preferring or wanting Kovacevic or somehow thinking Kovacevic is anything more than a depth Dman...I don't think he's anything more than that.

It's about how Justin Barron isn't at the stage of his career where he can have a bad camp, but still be guaranteed a roster spot.

Like last year, he has to win a job, or like last year...risk being jumped over in the pecking order like he was by Harris/Xhekaj last year.

I'm praying he comes to camp and seizes the job...my 2023-24 line up had the following top 6Ds

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Harris/Xhkaj-Kovacevic

I'm a big Barron fan
LOLOLOLOL
Everything I've written on Justin Barron is in DIRECT contradiction to your post.
His job is NOT in JEOPARDY.

Deal with it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
LOLOLOLOL
Everything I've written on Justin Barron is in DIRECT contradiction to your post.
His job is NOT in JEOPARDY.
Ok..so you think regardless of performance at camp, he's starting in Montreal?

He must have really made an impression on you between last year's camp where HE GOT SENT DOWN, to today.

Hope you're right.
Deal with it.
What the hell does this mean? :laugh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Should pair Barron with Guhle.
If Mailloux busts, Barron will nost likely be the long time partner to Guhle.

Reactions: Redux91

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Edmundson -29 Guhle -19 Savard -14 Xhekaj -9 Wideman -6 Harris - 3 Barron -2 Kovacevic + 3 Matheson + 7

Guhle/Savard faced top lines I don't think Barron is ready for that type of QoC right now. I'd rather have him on the 3rd pair + PP.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ok..so you think regardless of performance at camp, he's starting in Montreal?

He must have really made an impression on you between last year's camp where HE GOT SENT DOWN, to today.

Hope you're right.

What the hell does this mean? :laugh:
It means I really don't need to hear back from you. :D

Once again Justin Barron will have to suck big time to lose his spot. For me his game has progressed beyond that. Furthermore he is far more likely to be an offensive threat than any of the other RD. Am I biased perhaps but the most important thing for me this season is filling the opposition's net. Upping our scoring will show me we are moving in the direction management has mapped out for us. Cutting a few GA by pairing Harris and Kovacevik all season doesn't interest me.

Jul 6, 2016
Agreed they aren't even competing for the same chair. Barron would have to totally suck to lose his spot. That isn't happeneing. Coming off a season where he progressed after taking a step back and then being selected to Team Canada will have this guy riding high.
He did not play very well last Spring at that tournament.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It means I really don't need to hear back from you. :D
That's unfortunate...i'm loving our interactions lol.
Once again Justin Barron will have to suck big time to lose his spot. For me his game has progressed beyond that. Furthermore he is far more likely to be an offensive threat than any of the other RD. Am I biased perhaps but the most important thing for me this season is filling the opposition's net. Upping our scoring will show me we are moving in the direction management has mapped out for us. Cutting a few GA by pairing Harris and Kovacevik all season doesn't interest me.
Ahhh...so basically, you're reiterating what I said at the very beginning of this exchange.

That he will have to have a good camp and not suck like last year.

In other words, his spot isn't guaranteed.

Lawd

• Haha
Reactions: MasterMatt25

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
So the situation is pretty simple ; it's the exact same situation as last year's training camp. Baron is coming in with the optic's the spot is his to lose. Last year he lost it because of his horrendous defensive play during the pre season.
By the end of the season, he was a better option than Kovacevic.
I see Harris being the odd man out short term, and even more so long term.
Sad thing is, Harris probably has minimal value on the trade market.
For now , Matheson(1), Savard(3), Ghule(2) and Xhekaj (6)are impossible to bump from their respective spots in the lineup.
# 4 # 5 and #7D spots are up for grabs between Harris,Baron, Wideman, Mailloux,Kovacevic, Trudeau and Lindström.
Hopefully Baron can handle that pressure in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 417 and Redux91

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
People are often blinded by age and draft status.

Kovacevic was solid last season, his first real NHL season (no, a couple of games the season before don't count). Maybe it was a fluke and he'll be back in the AHL. Maybe it's his top end and he never gets better than a borderline NHLer.

I liked him a lot and I see no reason for him not to improve. I definitely feel there is top 4 D potential. He's huge and a right hand shot to boot, two sought after qualities. If he improves mentally, particularly his decision-making, I see no reason this guy couldn't become a legit and valuable top 4.

As far as I'm concerned, the spot should be his to lose and the team should do everything reasonably possible to not lose this player for nothing. If Barron can't be bothered to cleanly beat anyone on the right side, let him go to the AHL and do better.

Reactions: 417

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Edmundson -29 Guhle -19 Savard -14 Xhekaj -9 Wideman -6 Harris - 3 Barron -2 Kovacevic + 3 Matheson + 7

Guhle/Savard faced top lines I don't think Barron is ready for that type of QoC right now. I'd rather have him on the 3rd pair + PP.
The problem is, there really isn't ANY concrete solution to RD2 for us right now, while Kovasevic at RD3 feels like more of a lock, +3 in 77 gp as a rookie on a bottom 5 team is nothing to sneeze at (he made a good pair with Harris honestly)

But any and every option we can throw at that RD2 hole right now are ALL too 'green' and not quite ready, including kova, Arber and Harris

But since we are in no major rush this year specifically, why not just stick Barron there after his last year's strong finish to the season, see how it goes for 15 games, re-assess

Reactions: Team_Spirit and 417

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He did not play very well last Spring at that tournament.
Yeah at 21 years old he was 0-3-3 and +2 playing for the Gold Medal winning team Bad.
In his age group only 22 years old Moritz Seider 1-4-5 +6 and 19 years old Lane Hutson 2-4-6 +7 were better. I think we are all aware Barron is no Moritz Seider. Hutson is just special. He was hesitant in some situations but all in all I thought he handled himself fairly well.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That's unfortunate...i'm loving our interactions lol.

Ahhh...so basically, you're reiterating what I said at the very beginning of this exchange.

That he will have to have a good camp and not suck like last year.

In other words, his spot isn't guaranteed.

Lawd
Just stop it.
What part of the next sentence isn't clear?

Once again Justin Barron will have to suck big time to lose his spot. For me his game has progressed beyond that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just stop it.
What part of the next sentence isn't clear?
Who said it wasn't clear? lol i'm actually crying of laughter right now.
Once again Justin Barron will have to suck big time to lose his spot. For me his game has progressed beyond that.
Cool story.

I hope Barron doesn't come to camp with the thought that he would have to suck big time to "lose his spot".

I hope he comes to camp thinking he has a spot to win outright.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who said it wasn't clear? lol i'm actually crying of laughter right now.

Cool story.

I hope Barron doesn't come to camp with the thought that he would have to suck big time to "lose his spot".

I hope he comes to camp thinking he has a spot to win outright.
Why do you constantly like to twist and contort what people say to fit your narrative. He's obviously coming to camp with the intention of playing his best. That isn't what I'm inferring and you bloody well know it.

Reactions: rickthegoon

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why do you constantly like to twist and contort what people say to fit your narrative. He's obviously coming to camp with the intention of playing his best. That isn't what I'm inferring and you bloody well know it.
That’s pretty rich coming from the same guy who a few posts ago said that I “was in love”with a waiver player like Kovacevic simply because I said he’s in competition with Barron.
That’s called projection

Furthermore, and correct me if I’m wrong but did you not say outright that Barron is coming to camp with his job NOT in jeopardy, implying his spot is secure regardless of performance?

How is that twisting and contorting to fit MY narrative when that’s what YOU said lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That’s pretty rich coming from the same guy who a few posts ago said that I “was in love”with a waiver player like Kovacevic simply because I said he’s in competition with Barron.
That’s called projection
Sure after I made it abundantly clear that I felt they aren't even competing for the same chair.
I wonder how many people here see Kovacevik as a top 4 guy.

I've said it in more than one thread Justin Barron's job is not in Jeopardy.
His play has progressed to that point.
It's called an opinion.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sure after I made it abundantly clear that I felt they aren't even competing for the same chair.
I wonder how many people here see Kovacevik as a top 4 guy.
Ok so you don’t feel they’re competing for the same spot, I happen to think they are.

And?

also, it’s not that I think Kovacevic is a top 4 Dman, he’s not, it’s just the fact that there aren’t any established top 4 Dmen on this team other than Matheson, and on this team, by default, Savard and Guhle.

He, along with Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, are all in competition to occupy that top 4 spot that is open.

Ideally, Barron takes that spot, he’s got all of the attributes you would want but he’s also still fairly raw and inexperienced. So imo, he still has to go and win that job at camp and I’m not as sure as you seemingly are that his spot is guaranteed.

His play has progressed to that point.I've said it in more than one thread Justin Barron's job is not in Jeopardy.His play has progressed to that pointIt's called an opinion.
thanks for qualifying why you wrote that but I’ve got no issue with you having an opinion.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ok so you don’t feel they’re competing for the same spot, I happen to think they are.

And?

also, it’s not that I think Kovacevic is a top 4 Dman, he’s not, it’s just the fact that there aren’t any established top 4 Dmen on this team other than Matheson, and on this team, by default, Savard and Guhle.

He, along with Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, are all in competition to occupy that top 4 spot that is open.

Ideally, Barron takes that spot, he’s got all of the attributes you would want but he’s also still fairly raw and inexperienced. So imo, he still has to go and win that job at camp and I’m not as sure as you seemingly are that his spot is guaranteed.

thanks for qualifying why you wrote that but I’ve got no issue with you having an opinion.
Okay so let me take it down a notch. Right now given the makeup of our team the natural fit for a top four pairing on RD is Justin Barron. The job is his to lose and nothing I've seen in his play from the end of last season including the worlds makes that likely at all. Granted he is raw and inexperienced but his time will best be served with the Big Club in the final year where development will be more important than winning games. I just don't see anyone else on our roster who would benefit more in that role?

Reactions: 417 and LaP

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Okay so let me take it down a notch. Right now given the makeup of our team the natural fit for a top four pairing on RD is Justin Barron. The job is his to lose and nothing I've seen in his play from the end of last season including the worlds makes that likely at all. Granted he is raw and inexperienced but his time will best be served with the Big Club in the final year where development will be more important than winning games. I just don't see anyone else on our roster who would benefit more in that role?
If Barron comes to camp and plays the way the season ended then he easily is part of the top 4.
Kovasevic and Xhekaj make an ideal 3rd pairing. The Hamilton boys are a solid pairing.
That leaves Harris and Lindstrom.

Reactions: 417, LaP and Rapala

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm surprised people see Kova and/or Lindstrom as guy who absolutely need to be in our top 6. If all of Xhekaj, Harris, Guhle and Barron have a great camp they'll start in our top 6. I don't see HuGo as the kind of management who will bother too much with guys like Kova and Lindstrom unless they somehow late blossom. I like Kova but some fans overrate him like crazy. As it stands he is a dime a dozen guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad