Player Discussion Justin Barron (recalled 2024-04-06)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Possibly. But it is leaving te rest of the d-corp with 4 guys with less than a full NHL season under their belt.
Development year.

Again.

Guhle is solid enough to handle another youngster as a pairing partner and his alternative stats were all better when he played with Kovacevic or another youngster, rather than with Savard or Edmundson.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Kovacevic was pretty good last year, especially for a waiver pick up. Good enough that he's ahead of Barron on the depth chart for me at the start of camp.

I'd really like to see Barron come to camp and beat hm out for that spot but part of me thinks he might start out in Laval and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I'd rather see him playing big minutes in Laval then a #6/7 in Montreal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Savard/Kovacevic/Lindstrok are the RDs to start the year. Should be a decent battle for those spots.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Kovacevic was pretty good last year, especially for a waiver pick up. Good enough that he's ahead of Barron on the depth chart for me at the start of camp.

I'd really like to see Barron come to camp and beat hm out for that spot but part of me thinks he might start out in Laval and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Savard/Kovacevic/Lindstrok are the RDs to start the year. Should be a decent battle for those spots.
Yeah Barron is far from having a spot locked up. He'll need to come to camp and be at his best.

Reactions: 417

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Kovacevic is ok at certain things, but ultimately he is a 7-8 because he is not adept enough at getting back to retrieve pucks and transitioning up ice. He gets hemmed in a lot. In my opinion, Barron passed him later last year. Not suprising considering that Justin is a former 1st rounder (like Matheson who has progressed steadily since his Panther days).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Well we all have opinions but Barron will be a top 4 D this season.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agreed they aren't even competing for the same chair. Barron would have to totally suck to lose his spot. That isn't happeneing. Coming off a season where he progressed after taking a step back and then being selected to Team Canada will have this guy riding high.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Lindstrok may be better than Lindstrom but based on previous play, neither is remotely good enough to play for us if everyone is healthy.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
There's no way Lindstrom is making the line up over Barron, that's just not happening lol
But Lindstrom may very well be first D call up
But I think it's pretty set that the RD will look like Savard, Barron, Kovasevic.
Widemans hurt, and there's still Jordan Harris who's a #7 atm if the LD are Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj

All 3 of Guhle, Xhekaj and Harris worked some games at RD last year as well
So the D corps right now is preeetty fluid

Reactions: Rapala

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I didn’t say he wouldn’t be at some point or that I don’t expect him to be a top 4D…what I said was that I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not to start the year.

If he doesn’t seize his chance at camp, I don’t think they’re going to keep him around as a 6/7.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Kovacevic is ok at certain things, but ultimately he is a 7-8 because he is not adept enough at getting back to retrieve pucks and transitioning up ice. He gets hemmed in a lot. In my opinion, Barron passed him later last year. Not suprising considering that Justin is a former 1st rounder (like Matheson who has progressed steadily since his Panther days).
I’m not sure if Barron surpassed him by the end of the year given his ice time was up and down to finish the year, while Kovacevic was regularly playing 20+ mins a night to end the year.

Hence back to my original point that I think Barron has to have a better camp, especially in relation to his camp last year, to seize that opportunity.

Lindstrok may be better than Lindstrom but based on previous play, neither is remotely good enough to play for us if everyone is healthy.
* and playing up to their potential.

And we really don’t know what we have with Lindstrom, I suspect he’s going to surprise if only because expectations seem so low and that’s how things work around here at camp.

The guys we expect nothing from, tend to surprise us, while the guys who we have built up expectations for, tend to underwhelm us.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
what

retrievals were like one of his strength last year

transition wise i agree though

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed they aren't even competing for the same chair. Barron would have to totally suck to lose his spot. That isn't happeneing. Coming off a season where he progressed after taking a step back and then being selected to Team Canada will have this guy riding high.
There are 3 RD spots

One of them is for sure occupied by Savard.

The other options are

Barron
Kovacevic
Lindstrom
Mailloux

How exactly aren’t these players competing for 2 of the 3 available RHD spots?

I do agree he’s the ideal candidate there but what if his camp is as underwhelming as it was last year?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
There are 3 RD spots

The other options are

Barron
Kovacevic
Lindstrom
Mailloux

I do agree he’s the ideal candidate there but what if his camp is as underwhelming as it was last year?
Don't forget Harris who played a lot of RD last year.

Savard
Barron
Harris
Kovacevic

I think those 4 start with the big club, while Matty, Guhle and Arber start on the left side....as of right now of course.

Reactions: 417

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Barron is making the team this year. He progressed too much last year to be sent back down. Had a bad camp, bounced back in the AHL, then only showed progress and scoring at a 30pt clip in the big leagues.

He was playing against top 2 lines 5v5 alongside Matheson for a good part of it. If he has a bad camp, he'll be rotating in the lineup with Kovy.

Guys like Wideman, Lindstrom will be put on waivers before Barron gets sent down imo.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I didn’t say he wouldn’t be at some point or that I don’t expect him to be a top 4D…what I said was that I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not to start the year.

If he doesn’t seize his chance at camp, I don’t think they’re going to keep him around as a 6/7.
One of the first things Robidas will be looking for this season is continuity. Most people agree our D corps was one of our bright spots last season. Kovacevik athough a pleasant surprise will be battling for his third pairing minutes and many of us here would actually prefer to see Xhekaj and Harris playing every night. I said it in the Reinbacher thread there are No jobs available save for injury on our D corps. If Barron were to lose his spot it certainly wouldn't be to Kovacevik that woud actually be taking a step back in our rebuild.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Don't forget Harris who played a lot of RD last year.

Savard
Barron
Harris
Kovacevic

I think those 4 start with the big club, while Matty, Guhle and Arber start on the left side....as of right now of course.
Yes, I think Guhle & Xhekaj might have also played some RHD minutes last year, so just reinforces the notion that there's nothing guaranteed for Barron and a spot in the top 6 this year.

I want him to seize that opportunity, but he better have a strong camp.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You aren't putting much thought into this.
It ain't that deep...he's not an established NHL player, he has to win his spot at camp just like every other Dman on this roster not named Matheson, Savard or Guhle.

I feel the same for Barron as I do Xhekaj, or Harris or Lindstrom or Kovacevic...all of them will have to have strong camps or they risk the possibility of starting the season in Laval.

This doesn't require any galaxy brain deliberation.
One of the first things Robidas will be looking for this season is continuity. Most people agree our D was one of the surprises and bright spots last season despite all the injuries. Kovacevik is not in a battle for top 4 billing he'll be up against better talented more versatile players like Harris and Xhekaj just to keep his third pairing minutes.
Continuity?

Did you sleepwalk thought last season?

Of all our Dmen last year, only one player played 70+ games and that was Jonathan Kovacevic.

So what "continuity" are you referring too exactly?

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Barron is making the team this year. He progressed too much last year to be sent back down. Had a bad camp, bounced back in the AHL, then only showed progress and scoring at a 30pt clip in the big leagues.

He was playing against top 2 lines 5v5 alongside Matheson for a good part of it. If he has a bad camp, he'll be rotating in the lineup with Kovy.

Guys like Wideman, Lindstrom will be put on waivers before Barron gets sent down imo.
Agreed.....I can't see JB not making the team right off the hop.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Personally, in this scenario (where he has a bad camp), i'd prefer he be sent to Laval to play big minutes, instead of rotating with Kovacevic every other game.

He, Barron, needs minutes at this stage...moreso than Kovacevic does.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Personally, in this scenario (where he has a bad camp), i'd prefer he be sent to Laval to play big minutes, instead of rotating with Kovacevic every other game.

He, Barron, needs minutes at this stage...moreso than Kovacevic does.

I get what you're saying. As a young player, it's important to play big minutes, but there's nothing really left for him to learn in the AHL. He's already dominated it and showed he can be a contributor in the NHL.

Yeah he can work on his defensive skills, but better he does that in the NHL (Where he did ok already) and continue to progress both aspects of his game playing 13-16 minutes in the best league.

Hopefully he has a strong camp and it's not even a question.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It ain't that deep...he's not an established NHL player, he has to win his spot at camp just like every other Dman on this roster not named Matheson, Savard or Guhle.

I feel the same for Barron as I do Xhekaj, or Harris or Lindstrom or Kovacevic...all of them will have to have strong camps or they risk the possibility of starting the season in Laval.

This doesn't require any galaxy brain deliberation.

Continuity?

Did you sleepwalk thought last season?

Of all our Dmen last year, only one player played 70+ games and that was Jonathan Kovacevic.

So what "continuity" are you referring too exactly?
Nobody was sleep walking Barron is a better defenseman than Kovacevik period.
When we are heathy Kovacevik shoudn't play. Stop falling in love with waiver wire fodder.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There are 3 RD spots

The other options are

Barron
Kovacevic
Lindstrom
Mailloux

HARRIS XHEKAJ

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I get what you're saying. As a young player, it's important to play big minutes, but there's nothing really left for him to learn in the AHL. He's already dominated it and showed he can be a contributor in the NHL.
He's played 75 AHL games, but only 25 in Laval...I don't watch AHL so I can't say whether or not he dominated.

But to me it's just because I would want him to play a lot of minutes, I wouldn't want him playing 12-14 mins a game on the 3rd pair in Montreal.

Yeah he can work on his defensive skills, but better he does that in the NHL (Where he did ok already) and continue to progress both aspects of his game playing 13-16 minutes in the best league.

Hopefully he has a strong camp and it's not even a question.
That's the goal and hope!

Nobody was sleep walking Barron is a better defenseman than Kovacevik period.
When we are heathy Kovacevik shoudn't play. Stop falling in love with waiver wire fodder.
What a weirdo take.

I literally JUST finished writing that Kovacevic himself needs to have a strong camp and furthermore, I also said that in my ideal world, Justin Barron is in the top 4 to start the season.

I just pointed out, accurately I might add, that Justin Barron isn't guaranteed to start the year in Montreal, he has to have a strong camp or he risks being jumped over in the pecking order by Kovacevic or other potential candidates who themselves, have a strong camp.

Instead of getting in your feels, take the time to read and comprehend people's messages. It would go a long way.

Reactions: Ghetto Sangria

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
HARRIS XHEKAJ
Ok - so then you agree...there are SEVERAL dmen challenging for the 6-7 available spots.

So why you keep talking like Justin Barron's spot is guaranteed?

There's better ways of wanting attention if that's what you wanted.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He's played 75 AHL games, but only 25 in Laval...I don't watch AHL so I can't say whether or not he dominated.

But to me it's just because I would want him to play a lot of minutes, I wouldn't want him playing 12-14 mins a game on the 3rd pair in Montreal.

That's the goal and hope!

What a weirdo take.

I literally JUST finished writing that Kovacevic himself needs to have a strong camp and furthermore, I also said that in my ideal world, Justin Barron is in the top 4 to start the season.

I just pointed out, accurately I might add, that Justin Barron isn't guaranteed to start the year in Montreal, he has to have a strong camp or he risks being jumped over in the pecking order by Kovacevic or other potential candidates who themselves, have a strong camp.

Instead of getting in your feels, take the time to read and comprehend people's messages. It would go a long way.
Nothing weird about it the sooner Kovacevik is in his proper chair the better. I comprehend and disagree sorry. I want to see this team take a huge step in GF. Kovacevik isn't the guy who will make that happen. Just my take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad