Justin Abdelkader

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I mean we were all worried about the tail-end not these front years. This is really bad.

I think you have to know if owners are kicking around some sort of new buy-out rules or compliance buyout and an expansion angle in the next CBA and some of the league moves, but we are in buyout territory on this one now. I don't even see the effort on a lot of nights anymore, his game has fallen completely off a cliff. Now he isn't an ECHL guy or some of the gems posted on him but he has some serious issues in his game right now that are looking less and less correctable.

One of the more challenging questions facing Yzerman in my opinion.

I can't see them entertaining a buyout for a while, for a few reasons:

-They already have a ton of dead cap on the books for this offseason with Franzen, Zetterberg and the Weiss and Ouellet buyouts hindering their ability to go over or even spend up to the cap
-The next CBA. If the next CBA offers compliance buyouts, then that would be the best time to clear him. On top of that if the next CBA is like the last one and significantly drops the cap and they've already bought out Abdelkader, then that cap penalty hurts even more. The highest penalty years would be right as the new CBA with a potentially lower max would be taking effect.
-His deal was front loaded and has no signing bonuses when he potentially loses his NTC in the last 3 years, so they could probably move him to a team that doesn't spend up to the cap and wants to save real $ if they feel they must get him off the roster by that point.

The team is most likely stuck with him at least until the new CBA.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We can be stuck with him, but the cap situation won't be any kind of problem. Lot's of cheap ELCs coming in. This is what people won't figure out.

Holland did put extra term on future years, which he did know will be easier with the cap. That lowered the caphit for earlier years, where we were tight against the cap. It was nothing but mathematics.

There's no cap problems for next 4 years. This is the last year. Some cap problems could start growing after 2023. And guess what, Abdelkader contract is planned to end there. Same for Nielsen, same for Helm.

Yzerman has been stuck with Ryan Callahan contract for years, and that's not any kind of problem.

It's a numbers game, you lose somewhere and gain a win somewhere else. Time will solve problems.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We can be stuck with him, but the cap situation won't be any kind of problem. Lot's of cheap ELCs coming in. This is what people won't figure out.

Holland did put extra term on future years, which he did know will be easier with the cap. That lowered the caphit for earlier years, where we were tight against the cap. It was nothing but mathematics.

There's no cap problems for next 4 years. This is the last year. Some cap problems could start growing after 2023. And guess what, Abdelkader contract is planned to end there. Same for Nielsen, same for Helm.

Yzerman has been stuck with Ryan Callahan contract for years, and that's not any kind of problem.

It's a numbers game, you lose somewhere and gain a win somewhere else. Time will solve problems.

Yeah its a bad contract but like you said, shouldnt really impact anyhing cap wise unless its far down the road. I would guess, especially with Holland likely gone, that Abdelkader could be a compliance buyout after the next CBA if theyre available. Yzerman wasnt here for long when Abdelkader came up and he never played with him so I doubt he has the attachment that Holland would.

But by the end and with a new TV deal coming, his deal ight not even be worth wasting a compliance buyout on by the time that becomes a posibility

Reactions: DetroitRed

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Also could be worse! We could have Lucic!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Henkka

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Also could be worse! We could have Lucic!

giphy.gif

At least Lucic had past success and could actually fight before he scored his absurd contract. I'd rather overpay for someone who accomplished something than a do-nothing practice pylon like Abby.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
At least Lucic had past success and could actually fight before he scored his absurd contract. I'd rather overpay for someone who accomplished something than a do-nothing practice pylon like Abby.

He is also a big dooch compared to Abby, and would never want to see him wear the Wings jersey!

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
He is also a big dooch compared to Abby, and would never want to see him wear the Wings jersey!

Not really. Jumping Lunden while he was down, turtling to Boyle, and other cheap shots are par with Lucic's antics. The difference is Lucic has actually squared off with some tough customers. If Abby weren't a Wing, you'd hate him as much as Lucic.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Not really. Jumping Lunden while he was down, turtling to Boyle, and other cheap shots are par with Lucic's antics. The difference is Lucic has actually squared off with some tough customers. If Abby weren't a Wing, you'd hate him as much as Lucic.

I hate him more than Lucic precisely because he is a red wing. What a giant long term waste of cap space. I'd f***ing love him to death if he was on any other team in the league taking up so much of their cap for so long, being such a liability.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I hate him more than Lucic precisely because he is a red wing. What a giant long term waste of cap space. I'd ****ing love him to death if he was on any other team in the league taking up so much of their cap for so long, being such a liability.

He is easily one of the most embarrassing players to don the Winged Wheel. The contract isn't on him. His lack of production and cowardly play is.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
He is easily one of the most embarrassing players to don the Winged Wheel. The contract isn't on him. His lack of production and cowardly play is.

despite me joking around, I know what your point was in your comment I replied to. That being said, abdelkader literally doesnt even do anything anymore. he used to be a pest years ago but now he just goes out there and glides around doing nothing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
despite me joking around, I know what your point was in your comment I replied to. That being said, abdelkader literally doesnt even do anything anymore. he used to be a pest years ago but now he just goes out there and glides around doing nothing.

Maybe he is 100% on tank mode.

Reactions: Winger98

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Oh if only he were gliding.

The unfortunate reality is he's actually skating and still can't keep up with the play.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Holy shit this made me think back to the time when lucic got Dekeyser in the nuts in the playoffs. Did this actually damage Danny's nuts? Does he have super low testosterone levels now?? Is that why he went from being a solid defenseman to essentially trash?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can't see them entertaining a buyout for a while, for a few reasons:

-They already have a ton of dead cap on the books for this offseason with Franzen, Zetterberg and the Weiss and Ouellet buyouts hindering their ability to go over or even spend up to the cap
-The next CBA. If the next CBA offers compliance buyouts, then that would be the best time to clear him. On top of that if the next CBA is like the last one and significantly drops the cap and they've already bought out Abdelkader, then that cap penalty hurts even more. The highest penalty years would be right as the new CBA with a potentially lower max would be taking effect.
-His deal was front loaded and has no signing bonuses when he potentially loses his NTC in the last 3 years, so they could probably move him to a team that doesn't spend up to the cap and wants to save real $ if they feel they must get him off the roster by that point.

The team is most likely stuck with him at least until the new CBA.

That is my bad, I wasn't very clear. I think he is here through the CBA and expansion. If we get a compliance buyout as part of what the owners demand while working on Escrow and growing the pie that would be great. But you cannot buy him out now, but later in his contract like you said finding a cap floor team or having to buy him out then looks likely. I cannot imagine right now a scenario where he sees the end of his current deal in Detroit as originally agreed on.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Considering he's slated to be here 4 more years after this one, this contract is treading into being David Clarkson bad. I don't see Abdelkader being out of the league before his contract is over like Clarkson, but still bad.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That is my bad, I wasn't very clear. I think he is here through the CBA and expansion. If we get a compliance buyout as part of what the owners demand while working on Escrow and growing the pie that would be great. But you cannot buy him out now, but later in his contract like you said finding a cap floor team or having to buy him out then looks likely. I cannot imagine right now a scenario where he sees the end of his current deal in Detroit as originally agreed on.

Outside of the league rolling back contracts again... :eyeroll: I'm far less pessimistic on Gator finishing his deal here as it is. By the time the expansion draft rolls around he'll have just two years left on his deal, Helm's contract will have ended and likely re-upped at a lower amount, and the number of vets of Gator's age and experience on this team will have dwindled to...Gator and Helm. Nielsen, too, but he's an adopted wing, as it is. Outside of Gator being Callahan bad, which he might get to but he's not there yet, I think the Wings will keep him around.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Considering he's slated to be here 4 more years after this one, this contract is treading into being David Clarkson bad. I don't see Abdelkader being out of the league before his contract is over like Clarkson, but still bad.

With the way he has played this year, four more years seems like a stretch in my opinion.

We really don't know yet, but man is he having a horrific year right now. I know he had a tough one last year but I really think he is at an even worse level right now. He cannot hope to survive playing this poorly for four more years, Abdelkader has a lot of soul searching to do this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00