Justin Abdelkader

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, Abdelkaders contract is the same type of gamble they took with Franzen.

Both in their late 20's about to hit UFA status for the first time, both having sustained about a year and a half or so of production about 50% higher than what they had given previously, and the team facing an anticipated but pending blow to their offense in the following season (IE Datsyuk walking out on his contract for Abdelkader, and a cap crunch costing them Hossa, Hudler and Samuelsson for Franzen). They were both rewarded with ridiculous long term contracts that became points of contention and blame for the fan base.

My expectation was that Abdelkader would produce less without Datsyuk but at least remain a serviceable yet slightly overpaid middle 6 winger that could bring some grit/physical play while the team transitioned.

My only guess is that maybe two busy summers in a row have caught up with him? He got married two summers ago and this past summer he had his first kid right before training camp started.

I can only hope he finds whatever time machine Dustin Brown found when his contract was starting to look like a real albatross for the Kings... Because I'll bet large dollars that Abdelkader is going to be around almost all of the (if not entire) duration of his contract.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Both in their late 20's about to hit UFA status for the first time, both having sustained about a year and a half or so of production about 50% higher than what they had given previously, and the team facing an anticipated but pending blow to their offense in the following season (IE Datsyuk walking out on his contract for Abdelkader, and a cap crunch costing them Hossa, Hudler and Samuelsson for Franzen). They were both rewarded with ridiculous long term contracts that became points of contention and blame for the fan base.

My expectation was that Abdelkader would produce less without Datsyuk but at least remain a serviceable yet slightly overpaid middle 6 winger that could bring some grit/physical play while the team transitioned.

My only guess is that maybe two busy summers in a row have caught up with him? He got married two summers ago and this past summer he had his first kid right before training camp started.

I can only hope he finds whatever time machine Dustin Brown found when his contract was starting to look like a real albatross for the Kings... Because I'll bet large dollars that Abdelkader is going to be around almost all of the (if not entire) duration of his contract.
Nyquist is a very different type of player, but this same logic is why I'm nowhere near the front of the line to re-sign him. He will likely get a deal reflective of this season's production, and I'm not optimistic that even the majority of the next 5-6 years will result in similar production.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Franzen had demonstrated far better offensive tools. His hands, his shot, his offensive awareness were clearly on a higher level. I think I'd compare Gator with Marty LaPointe. Good guy, does a lot of good things on the ice, works his butt off...got paid and just didn't have the tools to maintain the level of offensive success he showed to get the deal.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Franzen had demonstrated far better offensive tools. His hands, his shot, his offensive awareness were clearly on a higher level. I think I'd compare Gator with Marty LaPointe. Good guy, does a lot of good things on the ice, works his butt off...got paid and just didn't have the tools to maintain the level of offensive success he showed to get the deal.

I agree completely. I wasn't really comparing Abdelkader and Franzen as players though, just comparing the situations that led to their questionable contracts. I think another factor that differs other than just their level of play was that even adjusted for the growth in salaries and the cap, Franzens cap hit was closer to being a discount, while Abdelkaders was a pretty clear overpayment.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
It was a horrendous signing that should have never happened. It looks even more ridiculous when you factor in that Holland knew Datsyuk was retiring at the end of the year. It was a contract that basically gave you zero short term benefit and crippled you in the long run.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Justin Abdelkader, RW, Detroit Red Wings
Found this quote on the link above. Not sure how it compares to other players but my first reaction was 'Oof'
(1/20/19) Abdelkader has not recorded a single point in 2019.
Abdelkader's pointless streak is at nine games, with the physical utility winger's ice-time total (11:05) from Sunday's 3-2 loss to the Canucks being his second-lowest mark all season. With only five goals and eight helpers through 50 games, Abdelkader is costing this team $121,429 per point, according to CapFriendly.com. Suffice it to say, the Wings expected much more when they signed Abdelkader to a seven-year, $29.75 million deal in November of 2015.

At least he is not Riley Sheahan....

Sheahan last season = 32 pts Cap hit 2m
Abdelkader last season = 35 pts Cap hit 4.2m

Sheahan this season = 8 pts Cap hit 2.1m
Abdelkader this season = 8 pts Cap hit 4.2m

Last edited:
Reactions: Adityase

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
This is the season where the bad-ness of Abby's contract is starting to really show. Even last year his play on the boards and in the corners in a roster weak in this area gave him some value, and I was occasionally pleasantly surprised by clever little plays here and there, but this year I've seen really few good games from him. Some of it is being passed by younger players on the depth chart, but against all all odds, a player like Helm who has always relied on speed and has had a number of major injuries is proving more effective and more worth his contract into his 30s despite being a 50-60 games a season guy. Abby's shot was never great, but those couple of years of piano pulling showed some real development in that area, but this season? not so much.

We're stuck with him, so all we can hope is that he finds some chemistry on the 3rd or 4th line next year.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Cleary's contracts were overblown, the guy signed one year deals that were worth 1.75mil, 1.5 mil and 950K respectfully. His last year baffled me the most when it came to fan reaction, 950K to be a healthy scratch/AHLer had no effect yet some fans lost their ****.

Cleary's money wasn't the issue, it's that Babcock insisted on utilizing him in the most moronic ways possible.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean we were all worried about the tail-end not these front years. This is really bad.

I think you have to know if owners are kicking around some sort of new buy-out rules or compliance buyout and an expansion angle in the next CBA and some of the league moves, but we are in buyout territory on this one now. I don't even see the effort on a lot of nights anymore, his game has fallen completely off a cliff. Now he isn't an ECHL guy or some of the gems posted on him but he has some serious issues in his game right now that are looking less and less correctable.

One of the more challenging questions facing Yzerman in my opinion.

Reactions: KJoe88

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Cleary's money wasn't the issue, it's that Babcock insisted on utilizing him in the most moronic ways possible.

I cant speak for this board, but on another I post on, some posters were livid that he was even signed. I can understand the usage argument, but the contract was nothing to get get mad over.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I mean we were all worried about the tail-end not these front years. This is really bad.

I think you have to know if owners are kicking around some sort of new buy-out rules or compliance buyout and an expansion angle in the next CBA and some of the league moves, but we are in buyout territory on this one now. I don't even see the effort on a lot of nights anymore, his game has fallen completely off a cliff. Now he isn't an ECHL guy or some of the gems posted on him but he has some serious issues in his game right now that are looking less and less correctable.

Pretty sure it's a easy cba buyout for Stevie Y.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Pretty sure it's a easy cba buyout for Stevie Y.
If possible, sure. But with all the cap space arriving in the next few years, it might not even be an issue if buyouts aren't a thing.

But really, if this team is eventually in a place where Abby's deal HAS to be moved, it's probably because the rebuild has worked, and they're pressed to land a final piece. And in that case, just staple a middle round pick to Justin and let an Ottawa or Arizona use him to reach the cap floor.

Reactions: Winger98

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

If you do a regular buyout on Abby this year then this cap hit is $1.43, $1.89, $2.39, and $2.39 then goes back to 1.43 for another 4 years. Years 2-4 are way too much dead cap space IMO. Wings better hope for a compliance buyout at this rate.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
My issue with Abby is that he isn't really even a good grinder. We all knew he was never going to match those numbers and be a top 6 guy. He is also terribly overpaid, but my issue with him is that he isn't really even a good bottom 6 guy anymore. He isn't really physical (he throws a lot of very bland ineffective checks), he can't fight, he isn't particularly clutch, isn't really a good net presence, and isn't really a good defensive player either. He is just there.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Also true. Talk about a freaking bust. Riley and Kindl were horrible 1st round choices. Not sure what round Smith got picked in, but he was a bust too.
Smith was a late 1st rounder (27th).

I forgot that Sheahan was a first rounder. I'm afraid to look up who was still available when he got picked...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also true. Talk about a freaking bust. Riley and Kindl were horrible 1st round choices. Not sure what round Smith got picked in, but he was a bust too.

Funny thing when reading Dallas board nowadays, this continuum of bad picks started happening at Dallas from 2013 and so on... I wonder why...

Reactions: PelagicJoe

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I guess I'm less frustrated about Adelkader because I noticed the fall-off two seasons ago, right after the WCOH. The length of contract was always terrible, but for what Abbie provided the $ wasn't. 2 knee injuries destroyed his abilities but no one can claim he wasn't an impact player back in '14 and '15. Look at this video, the way Abdelkader moved around the ice, he could play the game.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
If Abby could even be half of the player he was a couple years ago, then great.

Tenacious, strong on the boards, etc. But all of his plays have vanished.

I never gave guys like Draper, Malts, Kocur any flak for not scoring, because they we amazing at everything else. That’s what grinders do, however, Abdelkader can’t seem to do any of those things anymore.

And watching that video disappoints me. He was actually really solid at times.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think the money is terrible, its bad but not terrible, he is a heart and soul type of guy but the term was the killer for me. I don't know why you would sign someone like this to a franchise term contract. A term like that should be for someone irreplaceable. If the team was better put together his performance would be better but the dollar would be more glaring since it could be put to better use. But during a rebuild it doesn't really matter what $$ you carry as long as you have some space for key free agents that might fit the build. I don't know why you would sign someone who is almost purely a low skilled physical grinder to a franchise term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad