Movies: Justice League (2017)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think it's speculation still, but there's talk of the Justice League movie being Snyder's last DC movie. He's being phased out and we're seeing new directors being allowed to write each of the movies coming out.

Geoff Johns is also taking on a big role, so supposedly Justice League has a shift in what fans want more of and after that the tone will be different.

We shall see. We won't really start seeing if Johns can salvage the mess Snyder made until the movies after JL.

This and Wonder Woman might be screwed though.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I think they are trying to do a little Drax with Aquaman. Him and Flash are the high points of this trailer.

People don't have an issue with the character of Cyborg. The issue is the effects look like total ****. The CGI costume looks terrible, and does indeed make him look like a Bayformer

As opposed to making a Cyborg that can transform his arm into a gatling gun a little less like - something that can't transform?

Do that and everyone will freak out again being like "Cyborg needs to transform his armor!!!" And why I hope he gives a booyah just to be canon and **** everyone off thats going in with a negative attitude.

Batman is going to kick ass, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are going to kick ass, people like Flash from trailers, and yeah Cyborg transforms like he always has. Add in the Cavill Superman. Honestly don't see how it can go wrong.

Side note: a great dark DC movie would be about the Jason Todd Robin. That would be an 18A Batman film that really said "you want to get dark?"

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Cyborg looks like ****. Probably another flop by DC. I appreciate the more dark and gritty style in contrast to Marvel, but they've just been making turds after turds.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
What do you think Cyborg should look like in all your wisdom then? Given he's a guy that you know has a suit that transforms and all.

And what turd after turd?
Batman Begins?
The Dark Knight?
The Dark Knight Rises?
Man of Steel?
Batman v Superman? A box office smash
Suicide Squad? Another box office hit?

Where's the "turds after turds?" Or I guess they could release 9 Superman movies in 6 years (Spider-Man), 3 Justice Leagues (Avengers) a funny Green Lantern (Ant-man), 3 Cyborg bombs (Hulks), and maybe 5 Two-Face movies before they get one right (Wolverine), plus a cheeky Guardians of the Galaxy slash Green Lantern Corps movie. Also a ****** Dr Strange one in the meantime. And... toss in Batman movies to go par with Captain America, whew.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
What do you think Cyborg should look like in all your wisdom then? Given he's a guy that you know has a suit that transforms and all.

Batman Begins?
The Dark Knight?
The Dark Knight Rises?
Man of Steel?

Where's the "turds after turds?" Or I guess they could release 9 Superman movies in 6 years (Spider-Man), 3 Justice Leagues (Avengers) a funny Green Lantern (Ant-man), 3 Cyborg bombs (Hulks), and maybe 5 Two-Face movies before they get one right (Wolverine), plus a cheeky Guardians of the Galaxy slash Green Lantern Corps movie. Also a ****** Dr Strange one in the meantime. And... toss in Batman movies to go par with Captain America, whew.

I guess turd means a bad movie, at least the last two DC movies weren't considered good. Also, BvS earned far less than it was expected to and it apparently made less profit than MoS. In addition, there was quite a bit speculation about SS' break even point as the movie had some costly reshoots and of course a massive marketing campaign, and while the movie was profitable, it didn't make as much as it could have.

The trailer for Justice League looks cool but so does every trailer for any Snyder movie and most of them have been quite bad.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Batman Begins?
The Dark Knight?
The Dark Knight Rises?
Man of Steel?

Right about after TDKR. That movie was alright, the rest since then have been awful outside of Man of Steel which was just bad imo.

The last post of your post is a sloppy mess of reaches. Marvel's B and C characters have better movies than DC's all star hitters. It really isn't a comparison at this point in time. Believe me, I hope DC releases good movies, I'm all about both franchises being great, don't see why we just have to one does well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think they are trying to do a little Drax with Aquaman. Him and Flash are the high points of this trailer.

People don't have an issue with the character of Cyborg. The issue is the effects look like total ****. The CGI costume looks terrible, and does indeed make him look like a Bayformer

I just can't get over the impression of Momoa looking like Roman Reigns. Make Momoa look strong... :laugh:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
lol

I am so out of touch with fan expectations.

I thought it looked great and I come in here and its like someone **** on all your doorsteps. :laugh:

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Looks ****ing awesome.

But in predictable internet style - DC - this will suck, and looks terrible!!!

Batman vs. Superman "TOO GRITTY and DARK" - terrible
Logan "GREAT, it's dark and gritty"

DC Should be more light hearted:
Suicide Squad - LAME, should have been more dark
Guardians of the Galaxy - GREAT - it's light hearted and fun!

Superhero movies need to be more like Nolan Batman and Iron Man trilogies:
Man of Steel - reinvents Superman to be the best Superman yet and is by far the best superhero movie outside Batman trilogy. "Sucks"
Everyone forgets all Thor movies, Hulk movies, the fact the last Avengers movie sucked. All Wolverine movies pre-Logan and That 7/9 Spiderman movies sucked, that Dr. Strange was terrible.

But DC movies. They should just stop trying.

Disclaimer: I say this as a superhero fan in general I couldn't care less the brand. Captain America movies, awesome, Batman movies awesome, Ant Man great stuff, Man of Steel great stuff, first Avengers, Batman v Superman all great movies. the double standard is ridiculous though.

To be clear, you think Man of Steel, B vs. S, and Suicide Squad were good movies?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

How about not a nondescript Michael Bay Transformer cast-off?

Iron Man does a great job of making transforming armour look like it could exist in the real world. Cyborg looks like ass.

This ain't a Marvel/DC thing - Batman is my favourite superhero and the Nolan trilogy was fantastic. This is a Snyder thing.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Batman Begins?
The Dark Knight?
The Dark Knight Rises?
Man of Steel?

Someone is taking the DC failure to put out good movies of late personally.

Man of Steel, BvS and SS were all generally considered to be average to bad movies. The Batman trilogy on the other hand are highly regarded.

You seem to also have no clue who owns what rights.

Sony owns the rights to Spider Man and his related characters and it was not until they came to an agreement with Marvel/Disney that it he showed up in Civil War. Ohh and BTW they released 5 of them the first three and the a reboot of two with Garfield in the lead role.

X-Men, Wolverine, Deadpool and the Fantastic Four are all owned by FOX.

Disney/Marvel Studios own the Avengers and related characters.

So to try and lump all those together just because in the comics they all fall under Marvel is hilarious.

People keep hoping they will put something great out but so far it has been average fair at best. On Rotten Tomato Man of Steel is highest of the current extended universe at 55%, Dawn of Justice is at 27% and Suicide Squad is at 25%, not exactly stellar ratings.

When you look at the MCU i.e. the Marvel controlled movies, they are all Fresh on Rotten Tomato.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Batman Begins?
The Dark Knight?
The Dark Knight Rises?
Man of Steel?

Man of Steel, BvS, Suicide Squad were mediocre at best. Are Call of Duty games good because of the money they make? No, of course not.

Like someone else said, a lot of those aren't even Marvel, but there is a general double-standard when it comes DC/Marvel though, you're right about that. Marvel has made plenty of trash with the most recent being Dr. Strange.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

Batman Begins?
The Dark Knight?
The Dark Knight Rises?
Man of Steel?

Considering they went overboard with the cyber stuff and left only 3/4ths of his face, you could do so many things that emphasize that he's a "Cyborg."

GalleryComics_1920x1080_20150722_CYBORG.01.cover_.v02.600-COLOR-Blue_55a0212ba666c6.55203630.jpg

Also, why bother adding the Nolan movies with the DCEU?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Man of Steel - reinvents Superman to be the best Superman yet and is

But DC movies. They should just stop trying.

Disclaimer: I say this as a superhero fan in general I couldn't care less the brand. Captain America movies, awesome, Batman movies awesome, Ant Man great stuff, Man of Steel great stuff, first Avengers, Batman v Superman all great movies. the double standard is ridiculous though.

Why does Superman need to be reinvented? This is a character that has been around since the 30s. He doesn't need a reinvention. It's like reinventing Batman to make him a murdering psychopath.... Oh wait.

Superman is hopeful, he's supposed to be the big blue boy scout. Why does he need to be reinvented into this dark gritty, murdering, doesn't want to save lives, superman. That's not superman. Snyder's superman is not superman. These characters are timeless, with years upon years of history and stories. Why would someone need to "reinvent" them?

If you want to know about Superman, read all-star superman. Or even his current run. Superman Rebirth perfectly encapsulate superman.

Superman - Henry Cavill - the greatest Superman of all time

I'd like to see what he can do with an actual superman script before declaring him the best superman.

Another example of what perfectly encapsulates superman, read this page of Superman Rebirth, with Superman and his son Jon.

Superman-2-Rebirth-DC-Comics-spoilers-preview-2.jpg

Look how inspiring superman is in the comics. Meanwhile in the DC universe, his adopted dad (also named Jonathan), straight up tells superman that he should let people die to hide his powers. How is that superman at all.

"What was I supposed to do? Let them die?" - Clark
"Maybe" - Jonathan (dad)

Straight up, what? That's not superman. Later on he lets his dad die, when he could have saved him. For what? Would the actual superman let his dad die when he could have saved him? In the comics they can't get Superman to stop doing the right thing.

Look at these 2 pages:
https://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/5452867-15+super7.jpg
https://static1.comicvine.com/uploa...90/5454478-tumblr_oduswcwyeo1uwmd5po1_500.jpg

They go to the fare and Superman can't help himself, he has to help. Now compare that to the movies man of steel, where a critical story moment (his dads death), happens and Superman doesn't save his dad. Compare that to his dad in the previous superman film!

The lesson Clark learns here, is that sometimes he can't save everyone. His dads last words were to make sure not to use his powers for selfish reasons. Compare that to Man of steel where he can save his dad but choices not to. Because of? Reasons? I mean it's absolutely ridiculous how badly Superman is written in the DCEU. This is a DC universe where Superman isn't allowed to smile. He kills people, he choices to let people die. That's not superman. Not even close.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not every DC movie is bad and Marvel movie is good. I actually liked Man of Steel and didn't hate Suicide Squad. Iron Man 2-3 stunk, X-Men: Apocalypse was boring, and Thor 2 was very underwhelming.

This JL movie just doesn't look that great so far, but we'll see.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Why does Superman need to be reinvented? This is a character that has been around since the 30s. He doesn't need a reinvention. It's like reinventing Batman to make him a murdering psychopath.... Oh wait.

I completely, 100% agree with you that that scene where he doesn't save his dad is absurd (unless you want to make Superman into a psycopath, but that wasn't their intent).

Having said that, the problem with Superman is that he's boring. He's immortal, he's unfunny, he's pure...there is no nuance to his character or limit to his powers. It's why they have to recycle the Kryptonite angle, and even then, he's now been stabbed by Kryptonite daggers in two separate movies, and has survived.

So you have to do something to add nuance and intrigue to the character. Imo the only one who's been successful at doing so has been Alan Moore, with his version of Superman (Dr Manhattan), whose unlimited powers leave him completely detached from humanity.

But off course Logan showed us one other alternative that I didn't think was possible. You can, it turns out, take an immortal, iconic character, and eschew the superhero fluff in favour of exploring his humanity, and create a masterpiece.

I'd love to see Superman given either of these two treatments. Just please, enough with the Kryptonite gimmics.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I completely, 100% agree with you that that scene where he doesn't save his dad is absurd (unless you want to make Superman into a psycopath, but that wasn't their intent).

Having said that, the problem with Superman is that he's boring. He's immortal, he's unfunny, he's pure...there is no nuance to his character or limit to his powers. It's why they have to recycle the Kryptonite angle, and even then, he's now been stabbed by Kryptonite daggers in two separate movies, and has survived.

So you have to do something to add nuance and intrigue to the character. Imo the only one who's been successful at doing so has been Alan Moore, with his version of Superman (Dr Manhattan), whose unlimited powers leave him completely detached from humanity.

But off course Logan showed us one other alternative that I didn't think was possible. You can, it turns out, take an immortal, iconic character, and eschew the superhero fluff in favour of exploring his humanity, and create a masterpiece.

I'd love to see Superman given either of these two treatments. Just please, enough with the Kryptonite gimmics.

That's pretty much why I was never a fan of him growing up with all the animations/cartoons and even comics at a later age. Seemed way too boring of a hero.

Batman I loved right away from the animated series and movies and games and so on.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

In the comics I read back in the day, he was shown to have two weaknesses: kryptonite and magic.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

I understand, the idea behind superman can be really boring to some. But some writers can really make him shine through (Grant Morrison, Alan Moore). He might not go through the physical struggles like most superheroes. Punching their way to solve the problems. Good superman stories are all about emotions and the mental aspect of the character.

Funny you mention Alan Moore, he also wrote for Superman back in the day. A terrific story where he gets put in a dream state that full fills all his wildest dreams. But to get out of this trance he has to reject his perfect life on Krypton, as depicted by the trance, and relive the death of his homeworld and all the people on Krypton. It's a really emotional story, it really shows the burden that Superman is under being the last of his kind.

Also, you mention how he's basically immortal, that's been significantly toned down. You are referring to the golden age superman, who was absolutely insanely powerful. The superman in todays comics isn't close to as powerful as that superman. They've really toned him down for the better.

Zach Snyder does not understand superman at all. He makes him into a snarling, gritty, emotionless, unhappy mess. Then focuses on a story not about changing his ways into becoming a symbol to life up to. Rather he just wants him to punch Batman and then Doomsday, and then die. That's not a compelling or interesting superman story. It's just all bad.

Let's hope when they revive superman in the justice league movie he at least becomes more of the hopeful superman he is in the comics.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Let's hope when they revive superman in the justice league movie he at least becomes more of the hopeful superman he is in the comics.

That only makes it worse IMO. How would you be able to explain the extreme disparity in how alive Superman acts compared to pre-dead Superman? No amount of exposition can recover how badly Snyder interpreted Superman.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That only makes it worse IMO. How would you be able to explain the extreme disparity is how alive Superman acts compared to pre-dead Superman? No amount of exposition can recover how badly Snyder interpreted Superman.

Plus there's set photos of Cavill wearing an even darker outfit...

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Real hardcore DC fans know the movies that have been put out total trash and thanks to BVS Justice League is ruined

not Justice League I'm sorry it's just Batman and his companions and Teen Titans Cyborg for the ride

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

That's not quite true. Superman has some conundrums about the use of his power, which side to take, and his love for Lois Lane is not without problems, either. And Superman can be funny too, you just need to introduce the right villians. Going with Doomsday or Zod or Luthor will not be funny, of course. And I'd argue that a pure hero every now and then wouldn't be that bad. Especially when you are as strong as Superman, it's a great trait to have. Most of the heros these days are edgy, not everyone has to be. Yeah, we get it, being a hero is dirty business. Not that interesting anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad