Just read this by Kostitsyn's agent.....(Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
TSN paints a rather dark picture of what's happening. There's a thread on the habs board about this. The problem is they weren't treating Kostitsyn with the right medication back in Russia which probably played a big role in causing the attacks. He suffers from nocturnal syndrome of the frontal lobe.

Mathias Brunet From La Presse said:
"We are happy to have identified the nature of his sickness said Dr Mulder, the team physician, yesterday. Before, we never had the chance to examine him so extensively. We discovered that he has not been treated properly in the past. We prescribed the proper medication and the symptoms have not reappeared for a week now. At home, in Byelorussia, they were giving him something totally inappropriate. He was taking a medication that can be bought without a prescription in any pharmacy in Russia. It's a little like if someone took aspirins to cure AIDS."

Kostitsyn missed the last few days of the Development Camp in order to undergo these medical tests. " These tests were planned in advance and were not the result of the epileptic episodes Kostitsyn suffered during his sleep at his hotel room during the camp said Trevor Timmins, the team's director of recruitment. We wanted him to accept our invitation to the development camp in order to have him undergo these tests."

How can we explain the repeated seizures which happened a few weeks ago while Kostitsyn hadn't missed a single hockey game all year due to health reasons? " We think his body could have reacted to the long travel (jet lag) explains Timmins. Especially given that he wasn't taking the proper medication. His seizures were merely 10-second spasms and happened only at night. He never had any problem on the ice or during the day.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Where are all those Habs fans that said his epilepsy was well in the past? Hmm?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
Where are all those Habs fans that said his epilepsy was well in the past? Hmm?

Where are all those people that said his epilepsy problems were a concern ?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
Somewhere looking pretty smart.

Explain to me how his epilepsy problems are a concern ?

He hasn't missed a single game last season because of it despite the fact he wasn't even receiving proper medication treatments. Obviously once he takes the right medication it will become even less of a problem ... if it has ever been one.

Unless Dr. Mulder is lying to the medias in order to mislead the population for god knows what reasons, his epilepsy problems aren't a concern at all.

Pretty smart ? I guess ... :rolleyes:

Wild Bill

Jul 6, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
BrooklynCanuck said:
Lots of people live with the ailment every day. I don't think it will significantly influence his ability to develop into an NHL player.
Probably not.

I work with a younger guy that suffers from the same ailment that doesn't let it slow him down much. He has told me stories of being found in the middle of the night having seizures and doing very irrational things in almost a dream state, while he was seizing. He is a very normal kid and it's hard to picture for me. Besides the fact that he can't get his driver's license unless he can go a full year without a seizure, he has minimal social or carrer limitations IMO.

Under the proper medication and supervision, I can't see Andrei having many problems continuing his development in hockey.

Last edited:

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
BuffaloBill said:
Probably not.

I work with a younger guy that suffers from the same ailment that doesn't let it slow him down much. He has told me stories of being found in the middle of the night having seizures and doing very irrational things in almost a dream state, while he was seizing. He is a very normal kid and it's hard to picture for me. Besides the fact that he can't get his driver's license unless he can go a full year without a seizure, he has minimal social or carrer limitations IMO.

Under the proper medication and supervision, I can't see Andrei having many problems continuing his development in hockey.

Apparently they allow people in Andrei's state to drive, since the seizures last less than 10 seconds and don't they only occur at night? I read that in the rest of the translation that E = CH² got from the Habs board.

It doesn't hurt his 'stock' at all if you ask me.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
i disagree, i think it does hurt his stock at least a little bit. I, personally, have little understanding of the ailment, but if it in anyway can lead to a worse injury, it is definately going to affect his worth. Also, since epilepsy seems to affect people in the most intense moments, it may even affect his play during the most important games.

Also, was Dr. Mulder the same dr. who came out prior to the draft saying that the epilepsy was not epilepsy but something else and that he was perfectly fine? These attacks show that they may be a bit more optimistic in their reports then what it may truly be. who knows, maybe he's right that they found the right medicine, but i'm not going to believe it until i see another report confirming this. Living a life of a professional is going to be a bit difficult if he is that easily affected by jetlag.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
I, personally, have little understanding of the ailment:

Maybe you shouldn't comment on it then. Most people with epilepsy live normal lives, including Derek Morris of the Phoenix Coyotes.

but if it in anyway can lead to a worse injury, it is definately going to affect his worth.

It can't. Go to google.com, type in "epilepsy sports". You'll get hundreds of articles that state epilepsy cannot lead to worse injuries, even in contact sports, and some that will even say participating in sports will IMPROVE your condition.

Also, since epilepsy seems to affect people in the most intense moments, it may even affect his play during the most important games.

No evidence of that. Kostisyn epilepsy has been diagnosed as "nocturnal syndrome of the frontal lobe" which is actually a sleep disorder, of all things. He only has seizures while he is sleeping, and if he is sleeping during the most important games, then he probably has issues bigger than epilepsy.

Also, was Dr. Mulder the same dr. who came out prior to the draft saying that the epilepsy was not epilepsy but something else and that he was perfectly fine? These attacks show that they may be a bit more optimistic in their reports then what it may truly be. who knows, maybe he's right that they found the right medicine, but i'm not going to believe it until i see another report confirming this. Living a life of a professional is going to be a bit difficult if he is that easily affected by jetlag.

The new reports come from the Montreal Neurological Institute, which is widely regarded as one the best Neurological Institutes in the world. Its where all the athletes go when they are suffering from post-concussion syndrome (including Lindros, Kariya, Stevens and so on). If they diagnose something, and say its nothing serious, then I am much more inclined to believe them and be reassured, than to worry over your hystrionics. By your own admission, you know nothing of the disorder, and yet...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
E = CH² said:
Explain to me how his epilepsy problems are a concern?
Because, contrary to popular belief, the symptoms did NOT go away some time before the draft.

And it's not a once a year thing, a lot of articles are stating that he's had several in the span of only a few weeks.

No evidence of that. Kostisyn epilepsy has been diagnosed as "nocturnal syndrome of the frontal lobe" which is actually a sleep disorder, of all things. He only has seizures while he is sleeping, and if he is sleeping during the most important games, then he probably has issues bigger than epilepsy.
Frontal lobe, eh? So that means it's a brain injury. Wouldn't that technically make each seizure a "concussion"?

Freebooter

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Because, contrary to popular belief, the symptoms did NOT go away some time before the draft.

And it's not a once a year thing, a lot of articles are stating that he's had several in the span of only a few weeks.

Frontal lobe, eh? So that means it's a brain injury. Wouldn't that technically make each seizure a "concussion"?

Until you produce a recognized medical degree and appropriate certification, you are embarassing yourself.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
It affects his stock in a similar way to how Nick Boynton's diabetes affects his stock. A player with no condition is always better than a player with a condition if everything else is the same, because it's one more variable.

That being said, this could be good for Kastsitsyn because it will force him to take care of his body, and it is not uncommon for RUssian prospects to come over and show a dissapointing level of personal fitness. Anton Volchenkov for one, still needs a fair bit of work on his conditioning. For Kastsitsyn, it could force the issue a bit, and get him taking better care of himself. Nick Boynton has become a bit of a health-freak I've heard since developing with diabetes.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

Symptoms can go away, and re-appear, you know. If he didn't have a headache for 2 years before the draft, its entirely possible that he had a headache yesterday. Doesn't mean the "popular belief" was wrong, just means it re-occurred.

Jacobv2 said:

:shakehead Uh, no. That's a ridiculously naive comment. Its like saying headaches are the same as concussions. Epilepsy is not a brain injury, and each seizure is not a concussion. You might want to look up the definitions of each, before trying to prove a point that isn't there. Epilepsy is the result of neurons misfiring in the brain. When neurons fire, they normally cause your body to do something, like lift your arm, or whatever. When they misfire, there is no pattern, or reason to what they are doing, resulting in "seizures." Its important to note that "seizures" are not always of the "fall on the floor, jerking, foaming at the mouth" kind. In fact, most of the time you wouldn't even notice them happening in a person. They might just stare off into space, or blink a little extra. In Kostisyin's case, his sleep pattern - his REM sleep I beleive - is disturbed. There is no actual damage done to the brain, and thus, if you stop the neurons from misfiring (through drug treatment) there is no ill-effect. Its like when you are trying to fill up your pool with a garden hose - if you don't put the hose in the pool, the water goes all over your lawn, which isn't what you want at all. But if you put the hose in the pool, if you correct the path the water is flowing through, everything is a-okay. In neither case is the actual garden hose damaged.

Concussions on the other hand, are the result of brain damage. Brain damage, no matter how minor, is irreversible. Cells die, and they are not replaced. Therefore, the more damage you do to your brain, the worse shape you are in. There is no treatment to reverse the effect. Its like pounding on a car door with a hammer. At first, you just dent it. But after a few more shots, the metal becomes weak, and eventually caves in.

Epilepsy: Epilepsy occurs as a result of abnormal electrical activity originating from the brain. Brain cells communicate by sending electrical signals in an orderly pattern. In epilepsy, these electrical signals become abnormal, giving rise to an "electrical storm" that produces seizures.

Concussion: A concussion may result from a fall in which the head strikes against an object or a moving object strikes the head. Significant jarring in any direction can produce unconsciousness. It is thought that there may be microscopic shearing of nerve fibers in the brain from the sudden acceleration or deceleration resulting from the injury to the head.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
JohnnyReb said:
I, personally, have little understanding of the ailment:

Maybe you shouldn't comment on it then. Most people with epilepsy live normal lives, including Derek Morris of the Phoenix Coyotes.

why shouldn't i comment? this is a message board and what I expressed was pure opinion. i made no statements that I called fact. I also explicity told you I know very little of the ailment to acknowledge that my opinion is humble. so are you always a jerk or is it just now?

johnnyreb said:

The new reports come from the Montreal Neurological Institute, which is widely regarded as one the best Neurological Institutes in the world. Its where all the athletes go when they are suffering from post-concussion syndrome (including Lindros, Kariya, Stevens and so on). If they diagnose something, and say its nothing serious, then I am much more inclined to believe them and be reassured, than to worry over your hystrionics. By your own admission, you know nothing of the disorder, and yet...

hystrionics? is that even a word? or is it histrionics you are referring to?

How you can label "hystrionics" to an opinion that says "i disagree, i think it does hurt his stock at least a little bit" is beyond me. sure you can attribute the part with the "little bit" as being a bit EXAGGERATED and CRAZY (wooo woo! HE'S F*CKING CRAZY!!! :joker: ) and closer to HYSTERIA then REALITY, but i personally don't see it. all i said was I'm going to wait and see before I believe they found the cure for Kastsitsyn. I don't know how much you hear from the medical world, but far too many times have they said they've "found the reason" or "think they've found the cure" when in reality they didn't find anything at all... or did you already forget the pre-draft articles about kastisyn

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
80% of epileptic people have no attacks when taking the right medicine and i'm pretty that he's one of these people. so no worry here. asthma would hurt more and is still no reason to worry.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
why shouldn't i comment? this is a message board and what I expressed was pure opinion. i made no statements that I called fact. I also explicity told you I know very little of the ailment to acknowledge that my opinion is humble.

Because commenting on things you know little about is just silly. Its like going into a jury room, saying “I didn’t actually hear any of the testimony, and I don't know any facts, but I'm going to say he's guilty anyways." We are blessed to live in a world where pretty much everything is at your fingertips, and within literally seconds you can find out everything you need to know about something. Then you can provide an informed opinion, which is so much more pleasant to read.

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
so are you always a jerk or is it just now?

No, this is pretty much my regular personality.

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
hystrionics? is that even a word? or is it histrionics you are referring to?

Yes, it was a typo. Are we really going to get into a spelling and grammar debate? Because your punctuation leaves a little to be desired.

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
How you can label "hystrionics" to an opinion that says "i disagree, i think it does hurt his stock at least a little bit" is beyond me. sure you can attribute the part with the "little bit" as being a bit EXAGGERATED and CRAZY (wooo woo! HE'S F*CKING CRAZY!!! :joker: ) and closer to HYSTERIA then REALITY, but i personally don't see it.

Oh yeah, the "lets pray for the best" thing wasn't over-the-top. :shakehead He's not dying, he has a mild form of epilepsy. There are many players in the NHL who are in much, much worse shape than he will ever be. Guys like Lindros and Kariya with the concussion, Corson and Fleury with Crohns (ex-NHLers, I know), Morris with a more severe form of epilepsy, Poti with severe allergies to just about everything, and Boynton (amongst others) with diabetes.

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
all i said was I'm going to wait and see before I believe they found the cure for Kastsitsyn.

There is no cure for epilepsy, and if one is found, Andrei Kostisyn will be pretty far down the list of people in line to get the treatment.

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
I don't know how much you hear from the medical world, but far too many times have they said they've "found the reason" or "think they've found the cure" when in reality they didn't find anything at all... or did you already forget the pre-draft articles about kastisyn

You are right, they often think they have found reasons for things, when they have not. But what exactly are you implying with Kostisyn? That he has a tumor? Epilepsy is pretty easy to diagnose, and in most cases, pretty easy to treat. Especially in western countries. As for the draft articles, what are you talking about? As far as I remember and can find on the net (see, informed opinion) Dr. Mulder said his epilepsy was controllable, and not a factor, not that he didn't have it:

Team doctor David Mulder attended recent tests conducted by the NHL doctors to determine Kastitsyn's fitness and came away convinced the 18-year-old from Novopolosk had the problem under control with medication.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030621/nhl_mtl-cp.html

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
JohnnyReb said:
Because commenting on things you know little about is just silly. Its like going into a jury room, saying “I didn’t actually hear any of the testimony, and I don't know any facts, but I'm going to say he's guilty anyways." We are blessed to live in a world where pretty much everything is at your fingertips, and within literally seconds you can find out everything you need to know about something. Then you can provide an informed opinion, which is so much more pleasant to read.

again, where did i label anything on anyone? i would say "if something, then it would definately affect his value". i also said that "it would affect his value a little bit", which is true irregardless.

johnnyreb said:
Oh yeah, the "lets pray for the best" thing wasn't over-the-top. :shakehead He's not dying, he has a mild form of epilepsy.

AHAHAHA, so this is wehre you get the hysteria from? AHAHAHAH, tha'ts funny, really, you're funny. saying wat i said is no different then me saying "best of luck to him", from which i use interchangeably. if only i knew i sounded hysterical everytime i said that. "over the top" huh? hahahaha, tha'ts hilarious

johnnyreb said:
There are many players in the NHL who are in much, much worse shape than he will ever be. Guys like Lindros and Kariya with the concussion, Corson and Fleury with Crohns (ex-NHLers, I know), Morris with a more severe form of epilepsy, Poti with severe allergies to just about everything, and Boynton (amongst others) with diabetes.

and you don't think those concussions or head ailments affect their value?? let's go ask allison this, let's see how many teams are cautious about his head injuries. and why don't you look at the caution and time the doctors are all spending on kastisyn. it's obviously something they want to resolve and resolve it fast.

and now where did i say that kastisyn is NOT goin to make the NHL now?? are you even reading my posts?? i am in no way saying that epilepsy is going to prevent him from making the NHL, just that it may prove to be an obstacle, no matter how small or large it becomes.

johnnyreb said:
You are right, they often think they have found reasons for things, when they have not. But what exactly are you implying with Kostisyn? That he has a tumor?

haha now i am somehow implying he has a tumor or something... NO, I AM NOT IMPLYING ANYTHING OF THAT SERIOUSNESS. But, what I am implying is that it will affect his value (no matter how minor it will still affect it) and that until I see a report saying that the medicine they used works and nothing has affected him ever since he's been on the medication, I will not believe what they say. These doctors are not going to announce negative findings as readily as they will positive findings, they are hired by the club you konw.

So again, I'll believe it when I see the results. Is this clear enough for you??

And honestly, i can't find the epilepsy articles but here is some that have hinted at what I said. At one point they believed that his attacks were not epilepsy but something else.

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/prospects/a/2003_nhl_draft.htm

The Montreal Canadiens took what might be the most interesting gamble, selecting Andrei Kastsitsyn with the 10th choice. Kastsitsyn reportedly suffers from seizures and anxiety attacks (given the crushing pressure these teenagers are under, it's a wonder more of them don't display such symptoms). At one point he was believed to have epilepsy. So his health is an obvious question mark. On the other hand, many call him the best pure talent of the entire draft.

http://www.outsidethegarden.com/stories/ha/03/06/16.asp

Russian center has loads of talent, but epilepsy limited him to just 6 games. Look for Rangers to invest in him and hope their doctors can treat him.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Freebooter said:
Until you produce a recognized medical degree and appropriate certification, you are embarassing yourself.
I asked a question.

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
Hey JohnnyReb, just cause it's a a result of neurons missfiring or a chemical imbalance doesn't mean it's not gonna affect his value and it shouldn't be overlooked. Jason Allison was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance (not a concussion ) and this caused his brain to act unormaly and he'd get dizzy if his heart rate when up and such.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
again, where did i label anything on anyone? i would say "if something, then it would definately affect his value". i also said that "it would affect his value a little bit", which is true irregardless.

What value are we talking about? Trade value? Value as a Hab prospect? Hockey's Future ratings?

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
AHAHAHA, so this is wehre you get the hysteria from? AHAHAHAH, tha'ts funny, really, you're funny. saying wat i said is no different then me saying "best of luck to him", from which i use interchangeably. if only i knew i sounded hysterical everytime i said that. "over the top" huh? hahahaha, tha'ts hilarious

"Lets pray for him" is the same as "best of luck to him?" Okay, if you say so.

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
and you don't think those concussions or head ailments affect their value?? let's go ask allison this, let's see how many teams are cautious about his head injuries. and why don't you look at the caution and time the doctors are all spending on kastisyn. it's obviously something they want to resolve and resolve it fast.

Of course they affect their "value." But what does Kostisyin have that affects his "value?" Do you even know? He had seizures, they sent him to the doctors, they did some tests, they prescribed some medicine. Happens every day to millions of people.

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
and now where did i say that kastisyn is NOT goin to make the NHL now?? are you even reading my posts?? i am in no way saying that epilepsy is going to prevent him from making the NHL, just that it may prove to be an obstacle, no matter how small or large it becomes.

Did I say you said he wasn't going to make the NHL?

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
... until I see a report saying that the medicine they used works and nothing has affected him ever since he's been on the medication, I will not believe what they say.

From Dr. Mulder himself, in the original article (again, informed opinion): We prescribed the proper medication and the symptoms have not reappeared since a week now.

Course, I guess a week isn't long enough for you, right?

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
These doctors are not going to announce negative findings as readily as they will positive findings, they are hired by the club you konw.

Dr. Mulder actually works for the Montreal General Hospital, and the Montreal Neurological Institute, as well as the Montreal Canadiens. He is one of the most respected doctors not only in the city, but in the country. See the following link for more of Dr. Mulder's titles:

http://www.milleniahope.com/php/html/latestnews.php?id=24

So I don't think he is going to sugar-coat any diagnosis just to protect the Montreal Canadiens. We're not talking the team trainer trying to hide a playoff injury here. Mulder didn't seem to have any problems revealing the seriousness of Saku Koivu's illness, did he?

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
So again, I'll believe it when I see the results. Is this clear enough for you??

What results are you looking for? A cure for epilepsy?

KingPurpleDinosaur said:
And honestly, i can't find the epilepsy articles but here is some that have hinted at what I said. At one point they believed that his attacks were not epilepsy but something else.

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/prospects/a/2003_nhl_draft.htm

The Montreal Canadiens took what might be the most interesting gamble, selecting Andrei Kastsitsyn with the 10th choice. Kastsitsyn reportedly suffers from seizures and anxiety attacks (given the crushing pressure these teenagers are under, it's a wonder more of them don't display such symptoms). At one point he was believed to have epilepsy. So his health is an obvious question mark. On the other hand, many call him the best pure talent of the entire draft.

http://www.outsidethegarden.com/stories/ha/03/06/16.asp

Russian center has loads of talent, but epilepsy limited him to just 6 games. Look for Rangers to invest in him and hope their doctors can treat him.

Not exactly the most reliable of sources, now are they? I haven't even heard of either one of them. Anxiety attacks? First I've heard of Kostisyn having them. Anybody else hear of this? And Kostisyn was not limited to 6 games because of his epilepsy - he actually played about 50 some odd, for CSKA-2, Belarus and in various international tournaments. As the original article stated, he's gone the whole year without missing any games due to health reasons.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
JohnnyReb said:
Anxiety attacks? First I've heard of Kostisyn having them. Anybody else hear of this?

During the draft, Bob McKenzie said that Andrei suffered from an anxiety attack during the VO2 testing at the combine because he didn't have any experience with that kind of testing. I haven't heard of anything other than that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't understand why everybody is discussing his value, he's not being traded nor is he on the market?

I don't even understand why this thread has generated 2 pages, he's got a mild form of epilepsy, the Montreal doctors have administered the right medication for him and it will be controlled, end of story, he didn't miss any games because of his condition and it's not like he had a seizure on the ice and he was taken off on a stretcher, it happened during his sleep, he even himself mentionned several times that it dosen't affect his play on the ice, and now that he's in NA, he's been correctly diagnosed and given the proper medication...

I can understand all his symptoms coming back (actually I can't ) as he's flown halfway across the continent in an unfamiliar place, he dosen't even speak a word of english, Belarus dosen't compare to Montreal in any way...

When I hear stories like this, i'm thankful that i'm a healthy 23yr old guy.... :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad