Speculation: Just how good is this team?

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
It takes more than one season and playoff games to know IMO so I just can't qualify us for this yet.

McDavid can create exceptions to the rule though but we got to love the way this season is going and what is on the horizon.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It takes more than one season and playoff games to know IMO so I just can't qualify us for this yet.

McDavid can create exceptions to the rule though but we got to love the way this season is going and what is on the horizon.

This season has been immensely gratifying and has provided an insane amount of schadenfreude moments for us to laugh over. It's unreal to say it but it feels like the first 50 games of this year have almost made up for the last 10 YEARS lol.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I still haven't seen them play well enough for long enough to get over my trust issues, but we are certainly trending the right direction. If we continue playing this way we are top 10 in the league and could very well be the best team in our division as soon as next season.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I know it's hard. The Oilers fan base is like an abused dog that's not sure what to do when a new owner shows it love and affection. The last 10 years has really messed with our heads.

This team is for real, give yourselves permission to get behind it and believe.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I still haven't seen them play well enough for long enough to get over my trust issues, but we are certainly trending the right direction. If we continue playing this way we are top 10 in the league and could very well be the best team in our division as soon as next season.

Haha, during the last two games I wasn't truly comfortable with the game until the Oilers were ahead by 4 goals. I said to myself during the last game, "Boy if they could make it 3-0 before the end of the 2nd" and they did, then I said "They really need an early goal in the 3rd to salt this game away" and they did.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Well screw it, yes we are. Actually we should be just as much as a contender as any other top10 team right now. Why not? We have a amazing record against the west. Great home and away records. We are well coached.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I love this fanbase. Truly. This team has been not only holding a playoff spot for the entirety of this season, but they have been in contention for first in the division for much of the season as well, and yet we are still to tentative to actually say they're, well, a good team.
Meanwhile the Leafs have two hot months, and according to their fanbase and some media figures, every single one of their players and brass deserves some kind of award and it's just a matter of time before Matthews not only hoists the cup over McDavid's shattered body, but then they'll probably go on to win the Superbowl and world series as well.
I love this modesty. I do. We've been around the block, we've got experience as a fan base. But, I think it's finally time to say that this year's version of the Oilers is good. Maybe not top 10, but closer than many would think.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
We're a top15 team for sure I think, but top10 is way too early to say.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
playing like a top 10 team, right now. difficult to say if this is what they really are or if they are just peaking.

they're definitely better than I thought they'd be. I expected them to be where Calgary is now; on the bubble.

what I like most, lately, is how they seem to be wearing teams down and even bullying them.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I know it's hard. The Oilers fan base is like an abused dog that's not sure what to do when a new owner shows it love and affection. The last 10 years has really messed with our heads.

This team is for real, give yourselves permission to get behind it and believe.

pretty much nailed it.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Voted too early to tell. Half a season of good hockey isn't enough for me to erase a decade of crap. I don't know it almost feels like we're always a losing streak away from being a bubble playoff team even though the numbers and the standings say otherwise. The obvious statement of the day is that this season the Oilers are definitely beginning the transition to becoming an elite hockey club.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Top 10 team that I think can beat anybody in the West. The gap between us and the top teams in the East is large though.

Caps/Pens are in a tier of their own IMO

Rangers/Blackhawks are the next tier

We are in the next group with a whole bunch of teams.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We're finally seeing our team with two contributing lines. Think of where we are right now and then think of how long guys like Ebs, Nuge, Pouliot and to a degree Looch have struggled. I bet most teams would not want to match up with us in the first round.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Voted No..

Dont think we are there yet but things are looking very bright... Talbot has been saving our bacon this year IMO..
If this is the Talbot we are going to see for the next few years then we might not even need that true #1 RHS PPQB Dman.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
An impressive aspect of this team has been the ability to stay on the tails of Anaheim and San Jose when they have been on good runs with relatively easy schedules

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad