Speculation: Just how good is this team?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I said no, but not because of the Oilers, but because of the other teams. They're very far ahead of the Blues but if the Blues had a semblance of goaltending they'd probably be very close if not ahead of the Oilers right now. I also think if the Kings were firing on all cylinders (seriously Kopitar has half the goals of Letestu) they'd be right up there too.

They're right there though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Absolutely a top-10 team in the NHL, they are a playoff team and a very Fringe contender.

Edit: They play the game too well, game in and game out, to have the bottom fall out of this, imo.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We're literally top 10 according to the standings. Also, we're a young squad, so it seems logical that we'd only get better from here.

We're not in the top tier, but the top tier is only like 5 teams. Being top 10 is saying we're like (edit) Anaheim, unless we're still calling Florida and Tampa top 10 teams, that are just in a lull. But by that logic Columbus is not a top 10 team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We are top 10 in standings and top 10 in nearly every possession metrics

But Im still to hesistant to say top 10. This team could implode still. Still young and pretty fragile. Itll be interesting to see how they handle the home stretch at the end of the season

Ill say this: The Oilers D has been really solid this year and should get a good amount of praise. Theyve been solid top to bottom. The Oilers have also been very good offensively even tho our second line was crappy first 30 games AND Lucic hasnt been as good. All 4 of those players are waking up, RNH especially

Talbot has been amazing too and LD/MCdavid is best duo in the league

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We are top 10 in standings and top 10 in nearly every possession metrics

But Im still to hesistant to say top 10. This team could implode still. Still young and pretty fragile. Itll be interesting to see how they handle the home stretch at the end of the season

Ill say this: The Oilers D has been really solid this year and should get a good amount of praise. Theyve been solid top to bottom. The Oilers have also been very good offensively even tho our second line was crappy first 30 games AND Lucic hasnt been as good. All 4 of those players are waking up, RNH especially

Talbot has been amazing too and LD/MCdavid is best duo in the league

That's what solid defense does.

It keeps you in games and allows you to stay above water if/when parts of your offense struggle. Every team goes through that. The good ones can tread water while it happens while the bad ones sink. It's why Pens fans put up with Kunitz going hot/cold every year.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
As of now yes. Overall it's too early to tell. Scared to choose, although right now, I'd say yes, definitely.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Guess I shouldn't be surprised NegativeNelly voted No. :sarcasm:

Just kidding. (or am I?)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The real question people should be asking is if they're better than Toronto. :sarcasm: They have the rookie of the year, the coach of the year, the GM of the year, the Selke winner....

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Too soon to tell, but things are looking pretty good. I also could pretty easily envision a total meltdown, especially if McDavid goes down. The consistent top teams in the league have the ability to weather pretty major hits (e.g. losing Crosby for a while didn't take the Pens out of a playoff spot). I don't think this team is at that level, yet.

That's what solid defense does.

It keeps you in games and allows you to stay above water if/when parts of your offense struggle. Every team goes through that. The good ones can tread water while it happens while the bad ones sink. It's why Pens fans put up with Kunitz going hot/cold every year.

I agree with the rest, but as a Pens fan, the boldest is totally wrong. No Pens fan is 'putting up' with Kunitz going hot/cold. They accept that their management will keep him around until his legs get amputated for some reason regardless of how terrible he looks on ice. Kunitz' best-before date was 2013. What Pens fans 'put up with' is Letang always letting himself getting injured, and Malkin occasionally going into 'bad penalty' mode.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I've been jilted by this team too many times, I don't want to make a claim like that, I'll concede that we are a top 10 team when all the evidence points to us actually being a top 5 team. Got to stay modest and not get too big for our britches too quickly.

The only important metric that isn't in our favor right now is our PK% and the number of shots we allow on it per 60.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
The next 14 games will tell. 10 road games, 4 home games, 9 games against teams currently in playoff position.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
They are high in confidence now so its still hard to tell.

However;

Good/Great Goaltending thats locked up for years.
Solid if unspectacular defence. 1st pairing is unspectacular but very good young players locked up for many years.
Outstanding high end scoring and excellent depth at forward. Young too.

I would say that is the makings of a very good team. The forwards should have always had the confidence to play like they are but were let down by other areas of the team and this dragged them down. So I would argue that they are playing like they always could have played.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
all the underlying metrics, as well as the standings, have us right around the 9th-10th overall team in the league.... so we are right on that borderline (which is what i'm assuming led to the poll in the first place).... i voted no, because i think we are relying on a couple players too much... but my no is a "soft no", because i don't think we're anything lower than a 12th-14th overall team

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I said no, but not because of the Oilers, but because of the other teams. They're very far ahead of the Blues but if the Blues had a semblance of goaltending they'd probably be very close if not ahead of the Oilers right now. I also think if the Kings were firing on all cylinders (seriously Kopitar has half the goals of Letestu) they'd be right up there too.

They're right there though.

Same. Not knocking the Oilers but there's a couple underachieving teams right now. Top 15 for sure though.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The real question people should be asking is if they're better than Toronto. :sarcasm: They have the rookie of the year, the coach of the year, the GM of the year, the Selke winner....

No chance.

Matthews > McDavid
Leafs Forwards >>> Oilers Forwards
Leafs Defence >>> Oilers Defence
Andersen >>> Talbot

Leafs AINEC!

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They are good. Are they great? We'll find out in April.

I think we'll find out tonight. We're not going to sneak up on San Jose.

No chance.

Matthews > McDavid
Leafs Forwards >>> Oilers Forwards
Leafs Defence >>> Oilers Defence
Andersen >>> Talbot

Leafs AINEC!

You forgot Babcock and Lou being better than McL and Chia. And the CN tower > WEM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad