Just 3 years ago...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The risk is next year. There isn’t a talent injection coming like we saw earlier and we are potentially losing 2/5 on the PP for nothing.

Had they sold those assets last year, we may have replacement prospects that would increase the odds.

Buying rentals and not trading vets for the sake of 6 playoff games veered a little from the plan. That’s what I mean by acceleration.

There is nothing accelerating about keeping JVR Bozak and Leo this year. We have replacement for all of them right now.
We have a gut of young good forwards right now who are playing in the AHL or elsewhere soon we are going to have to make decisions on them and move them along to replenish our picks and prospects or package them up for a player in a needed position.

We traded surplus picks to get a veteran to help us come playoff time... this did nothing to slow or change the plan at all.

Reactions: kb

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
The risk is next year. There isn’t a talent injection coming like we saw earlier and we are potentially losing 2/5 on the PP for nothing.

Had they sold those assets last year, we may have replacement prospects that would increase the odds.

Buying rentals and not trading vets for the sake of 6 playoff games veered a little from the plan. That’s what I mean by acceleration.

Talent injection may be coming, although it maybe in two years:

Johnnson full time, liljegren for 1/2 the season, maybe grundstrom and korshov.

grundstrom could replace komorov, and johnnson and kapanen with their two way play, replace jvr.
marchment could replace martin. altonen could replace moore. liljegren could replace carrick.

timashov and engvall could also be call ups for next year.

if not next year, then grunstrom and korshov will be in 2 years.

also in 2 years, there is bracco, maybe kasanen, greenway, maybe Dakota Joshua and dzierkals will have a shot.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
It's the moves they didn't make that helped too - Josh Georges, Dave Bolland

No sympathy for this asshat. He blocked a trade to come here and accepted to go to Buffalo instead due to "not wanting to hear it from Hab fans". How did that work out for him?...Enjoy playing sub .500 hockey for the remainder of your career, ya loser.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Gotta agree with Pookie. While trading JVR and Bozak last year would have been my first choice, I understand why we kept them. The term accelerated rebuild depends on when you think the rebuild started. Some will say it started with Kadri, Some with Rielly, Some with Nylander etc. I hold the position that the true "it's time to rebuild" phase happened after the Marner draft, but for the sake of argument let's just say it happened after we drafted Nylander. A year later we draft Marner and then a year later we draft Matthews. That same season we're trading picks for upgrades at 4th line centre spot, two years in a row now. Rebuilding team's don't do that. Period. So really, the "rebuild" lasted 2 years. That sounds pretty accelerated to me. Not to say it was the wrong choice, as no two situations are 100% the same, but we've seen how most accelerated rebuilds work. Like Pookie said, let's hope for the best (Chicago anyone?) and look forward to round one!

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Wasnt a full rebuild in the sense that a good portion of our core was acquired by the previous regime. The current regime was smart enough to not trade the talent that was useful.

We were also lucky that we won a lottery with a top tier talent. A lot of teams don't get that fortune.

It's great everything has worked out.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton

Kapanen and Dermott graduated this year, Johnsson and maybe Borngman next year, year after is Lilly and Grundstrom, plus another draft class this year and a handful of other prospects that a lot of people think can be impact players in the league. Plenty of talent coming.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I remember some criticizing Shanahan for not doing anything to fix the team around December/January, when he had been on the job for about 6 months. :facepalm:
Then at the end of the season they cleaned house and started hiring the key people that are currently running the team.

3 years is a long time in sports. It doesn't take that long to become a contender if your team has a foundation of elite talent. Pittsburgh took only 3 seasons in the playoffs to win the Cup, and went to the Finals the year before. Chicago took only 2, and went to the Conference Finals the year before. Los Angeles, 3 seasons.

Not saying a Cup win is imminent. But getting good doesn't always take a long time, and getting good fast doesn't mean you're cutting corners.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Gotta agree with Pookie. While trading JVR and Bozak last year would have been my first choice, I understand why we kept them. The term accelerated rebuild depends on when you think the rebuild started. Some will say it started with Kadri, Some with Rielly, Some with Nylander etc. I hold the position that the true "it's time to rebuild" phase happened after the Marner draft, but for the sake of argument let's just say it happened after we drafted Nylander. A year later we draft Marner and then a year later we draft Matthews. That same season we're trading picks for upgrades at 4th line centre spot, two years in a row now. Rebuilding team's don't do that. Period. So really, the "rebuild" lasted 2 years. That sounds pretty accelerated to me. Not to say it was the wrong choice, as no two situations are 100% the same, but we've seen how most accelerated rebuilds work. Like Pookie said, let's hope for the best (Chicago anyone?) and look forward to round one!

The "true rebuild" started when the press leaked that Shanny approached the board to blow it all up and they agreed.

It ended when management realized this roster was a PO roster.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Kapanen and Dermott graduated this year, Johnsson and maybe Borngman next year, year after is Lilly and Grundstrom, plus another draft class this year and a handful of other prospects that a lot of people think can be impact players in the league. Plenty of talent coming.

I'm torn right down the middle on this, IMO Pookie has a very valid position. Look , after 11 straight years of screaming at JFJ,Burk,Sonuts to stop their madness, many here suffer from PTGMD;)

I loath this "own rental" garbage , when it's players of value , no one will convince me that JVR,Boz,Koma would not have brought in a impressive haul.

Drafting is what fixed this hell in the first place and i'll take more picks TYVM.

BUT management thinks this roster can go very deep into the POs or even win it, lets see if they made the right call.

If we bounce in the 1rst round , then in my books this will be this management groups first epic fail.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad