TV: Jussie Smollett - Charges Dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If you are making a show like Empire then being despised by half the country (or even just all the people who don't believe you) is a huge selling point.
Maybe...

I just see an actor who has pissed off the black, gay, straight communities. Why not hire an actor without that baggage?

For every actor who has come back from this kind of thing, there are many who end up being forgotten.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I wonder is the charges being dropped increases the chance that the FBI charges him? Mailing the powder is terrorism, after all.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I disagree. There will always be a taint that most producers will avoid. My guess : people will resent the fact that he got away with it.

I had never seen the guy before this incident. I hope I never see him, again.
I am sure there is no shortage of handsome gay actors. If you were a producer, why would you invest in one who is despised?

You're looking at it only from the perspective of mainstream acting. His dreams of that may be dead, but he's now famous and has a story to tell, so there will always be ways for him to make money. He could do interviews (for money), give speeches (for money), write a book, sit on a charitable or activist organization's board or go into politics (don't dismiss that he could win a local position in the community that's embraced him). He may even have more stability doing any of that than he did as a struggling actor. Sure, lots of people will want nothing to do with him, but he just needs enough people interested to hear what he has to say to make money doing it. Believe me, I hope that he ends up being ruined by this, but I doubt that he does, and it's not simply being cynical, unfortunately.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You're looking at it only from the perspective of mainstream acting. His dreams of that may be dead, but he's now famous and has a story to tell, so there will always be ways for him to make money. He could do interviews (for money), give speeches (for money), write a book, sit on a charitable or activist organization's board or go into politics (don't dismiss that he could win a local position in the community that's embraced him). He may even have more stability doing any of that than he did as a struggling actor. Sure, lots of people will want nothing to do with him, but he just needs enough people interested to hear what he has to say to make money doing it. Believe me, I wish that he were ruined by this, but I'm cynical and savvy enough about how society works that I really doubt that he will be.
That's fair.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
He has friends in very high places. Why do you think he just got away with faking a hate crime?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Smollett was (supposedly) worth anywhere from $500K to $1M. My guess, most of that is long gone. That should give those of us who believe he is guilty, a reason to smile.

Somebody losing all of their money is reason for you to smile???

I hope you never go bankrupt...

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Somebody losing all of their money is reason for you to smile???

I hope you never go bankrupt...
Re : "I hope you never go bankrupt.."

I never will.

Re : "Somebody losing all of their money is reason for you to smile???"

If they perform a terrorist act and try to frame others for a hate crime, yes, it will make me smile.

Plus, you are taking it out of context. If he is going to get away with it, Smollett going broke is a small price to pay for doing something shameful/dishonest.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
He has friends in very high places. Why do you think he just got away with faking a hate crime?

I think it has less to do with being personally well-connected.. and more about Smollett's political objective. The alleged hoax was designed to demonize Trump supporters. The State's Attorney' office wasn't morally outraged by the targeting/slandering of Trump supporters.. My opinion, that's the true reason the State's Attorney recused herself. She had no zeal (or drive) to punish Smollett, and it's why her substitute gave Smollett a gentle, de facto plea deal. They really didn't care if Trump supporters (as a class) were framed up..
I think it's probably been surprising to the State's Attorney, how angry the mayor, Chicago PD, & Trump supporters at-large have become over their indifference to punishing Smollett (?) I think a judge granted a request to seal the case files too.. probably to shield further criticism/critique of State's Attorney lax decision (?)

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
:laugh: how is he innocent

- He has been very reluctant to talk to the media and only did one interview

- Most of his story cannot be corroborated and are questionable

- There was overwhelming evidence against him from the brothers who said he paid them to do that

- Cameras captured said brothers buying the noose and the police had receipts

To me this is a blatant case of the rich buying their way out of criminal situations (OF THEIR OWN DOING NO DOUBT). He literally did this to get attention and to take a stand. He thought he could galvanize sympathy but it backfired horrifically. The best thing for him to do now is to fade away into obscurity.
He beat them charges like rocky boyyyyyy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
None of this matters, of course. People have gotten away with far worse.

A sign of contrition would have gone a long way, tho.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
4) Threadjacking/OT: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad