Jurco Needs A Bigger Role

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Jurco been pretty much trash in the NHL over the last season and a half, he has done nothing to show he deserves a bigger role. To add insult to injury to argument: He has been given chances in the top 6 and 9 and has been beyond underwhelming.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Jurco just needs a change of scenery he hasn't played garbage but there's just something missing

He played good at the start of the season and after he got called up but mehh

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Jurco is in a tough spot. Would love to see him get going and maybe if he gained some confidence and got the ice time he could...it's just not really in the cards. We got a logjam at the wing even with injuries. Just don't see where he fits.

You can't play him over Nyquist/Tatar on lines 1/2. Richards/Sheahan/Larkin has been working well, so he's not going there.

That leaves Abby/Helm from the top 9.....I guess Jurco/Dats/Tatar makes a lot more sense than Jurco/Z/Nyquist... Honestly, it has some potential to work I suppose, but it would be a bit of a risk. That puts Helm on the 4th with Miller and Luke. Great 4th line.

This doesn't factor Pulks in though.

The reality is KH needs to start working the phones...we have a logjam of wingers and it isn't about to get any better. AA has shown he deserves a good look at this level, and he should get it next year. Mantha probably isn't far behind.

you got Nyquist/Pulks/Tatar/Jurco/Mantha/AA/Abby/Helm. who are all top 9 type wingers (Helm and AA probably the closest to 4th liners, but AA can do better than that and Helm isn't signing a 4th line type contract) I'm not counting Larkin cause he's eventually a center on this team, Richards is probably gone next year.

So that's 8 people for 6 spots...really more cause even if Larkin moves to center eventually then it will probably just push Z to the wing.

Helm is the ideal person to move cause his next contract will probably be Abby-like and we can't really afford to have two of those on this team. I just don't know where his value is and what things we can add to get a decent player who can actually contribute to our needs.

Last edited:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
With some of the guys coming up like Mantha and Athanasiou along with the already young forwards in the line-up like Tatar and Nyquist, I have a feeling Jurco will likely succeed somewhere else. It's really a shame because I see him being a top-6 player, just not with us.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I've liked his play a lot recently. He really seems to have more control with the puck. He needs a real opportunity with an injury or two.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Jurco has had real opportunities earlier and creates scoring chances like a 4th line player at TOP9 spot. And at 4th line, he creates those like AHL player.

Won't kill penalties, won't win faceoffs (as a winger), doesn't like net-front role (hated Babcock of that).

Trade-bait. Not any kind of fit for us.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Jurco has had real opportunities earlier and creates scoring chances like a 4th line player at TOP9 spot. And at 4th line, he creates those like AHL player.

Won't kill penalties, won't win faceoffs (as a winger), doesn't like net-front role (hated Babcock of that).

Trade-bait. Not any kind of fit for us.

which is a shame, he has the frame and hands to get good at that sort of spot. He just seems unwilling to embrace a grittier role, though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
which is a shame, he has the frame and hands to get good at that sort of spot. He just seems unwilling to embrace a grittier role, though.

It's nothing else but an attitude problem. You do what your coaches say, try best, work hard, build trust and earn better scoring spot that way.

No one is gonna give you anything for granted, if you aren't a super-talent like Larkin.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
He's been better lately, but still far from what you (should) expect from him - taking his (assumed) ceiling into account.
Him needing a "bigger role" isn't accurate indeed. Still not having lost faith but he really needs to step up now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jurco needs to play better. Then we can talk about what role he should have.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Jurco needs to play better. Then we can talk about what role he should have.
This. A succesful NHL team is not built around the idea of giving struggling players bigger roles. Jurco needs to earn his icetime. He has had chances, but he makes very little of it.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
What is this even? Why are you linking me to a poorly written opinion post with no substance? Couldn't you just have copy/pasted it here instead to avoid giving people the impression that it's an article?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He seemed to play better before he went down recently. He was forcing turnovers, setting up some plays.

The problem to me is that he can't seem to stay healthy preventing him from getting any momentum. And even if he's playing it seems like a recurring back issue of some kind which would prevent him from being able to go as hard as he needs to in order to be effective.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He needs to first establish himself as an NHL regular. Unlike Gus, Tatar and Pulks, he actually has the tools to play effective, fourth-line hockey. After he does that, he can think about growing his game. As others mention, he will never do this unless he can consistently stay in the lineup.

My biggest issue with Jurco this year is that he stops moving his feet way too easily. He will get close to closing a gap in a timely manner and then start gliding. If he moves his feet more, the puck will find him more (something that does not seem to be happening much at the NHL level).

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He needs to earn his "bigger role"

I'm totally for him jumping into Helmer's spot with Tats and Pav though to give it a shot.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm a big Jurco fan, but what is he doing to earn this larger role?

Actual Thought*

Kopecky Ultra Light. Basically Jurco sucks. He thinks he deserves more than he earns. He deserves less of a role not more.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Neither should have a future with the team, but Pulkkinen actually produces, Jurco adds nothing to the team.

Jurco is 10x a better grinder and still has potential to produce

It depends on the trade value I guess. Because jurco is more important to this team then pulu

But what would teams give for jurco?

If pulu doesn't score he is virtually useless. Hopefully he can score more so he can get more trade value when he comes back

Actual Thought*

Jurco is 10x a better grinder and still has potential to produce

It depends on the trade value I guess. Because jurco is more important to this team then pulu

But what would teams give for jurco?

If pulu doesn't score he is virtually useless. Hopefully he can score more so he can get more trade value when he comes back
Jurco's summer comments left me thinking he isn't willing to accept a grinder role. The guy seems to have an attitude of entitlement.
I agree about Pulks though. One dimensional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad